Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greater Notice Period On The Contract

Options
  • 14-08-2020 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,
    My contract started on 23rd of October 2019 (23.10) and there is a clause about notice period being 3 months on the contract. I have notified my landlord yesterday (13.08) regarding ending the tenancy at the end of the contract.

The landlord informed me that I need to pay the rent until 13th of November (13.11) because that'll make the 3 month notice period.

I wonder if 3 months of notice period applies to not renewing the contract as well (ie. was I supposed to give the notice before 23rd of July -- >3 moths before the end of the contract).

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

The RTB site states that a longer notice period than statutory minimum may be stated in the contract, so it is whatever you agreed to when signing the lease. Your tenancy does not end at the end of the term on the contract, so if you agreed to three months notice when signing the contract, that is what it is.

https://www.rtb.ie/ending-a-tenancy/notice-periods-that-a-landlord-should-give

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

You do of course have two alternate options:

1. Assign the lease to a third party (who must be satisfactory to the landlord)
    2. End the lease early- and it is up to the landlord to make all reasonable attempts to let the property. You are liable for the rent up until the date in the lease- save should it be relet- and if it is relet at a lower rent, you are liable for the difference (until the official termination date).

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ocemyn

Thank you The_Conductor & Dav010

Advertisement