Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homophopic graffiti in Bray.

Options

Comments

I haven't read the study you posted, but I too would be of the impression that a grown man engaging in sex with a person of the same sex, regardless of age, would be engaging in a homosexual act.

I'll be open to correction and will read the report later, but it's not my opinion that it would be wrong or homophobic to call male on male paedophilic acts gay.

No it would be entirely wrong and incorrect as backed up by loads of studies. Those who engage in such abuse don't tend to have such a clearly defined orientation. The poster has made the claim before but it remains untrue.
    The distinction between a victim's gender and a perpetrator's sexual orientation is important because many child molesters don't really have an adult sexual orientation. They have never developed the capacity for mature sexual relationships with other adults, either men or women. Instead, their sexual attractions focus on children – boys, girls, or children of both sexes.
    https://web.archive.org/web/20100419022239/http://psychology.ucdavis.edu/rainbow/HTML/facts_molestation.html
    James Cantor, the Head of the Law and Mental Health Research Section of the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health in Toronto, Canada, also rejected suggestions of a link between homosexuality and pedophilia.

"It's quite solidly shown in the scientific literature that there is absolutely no association between being a gay man and being a pedophile," Cantor, also Editor-in-Chief of "Sexual Abuse: A Journal of Research and Treatment," told CNN.
    https://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/europe/04/14/vatican.homosexuality.pedophilia/index.html

"It's important to separate the sexual identity and the behavior," Terry said. "Someone can commit sexual acts that might be of a homosexual nature but not have a homosexual identity." Terry said factors such as greater access to boys is one reason for the skewed ratio. Smith also raised the analogy of prison populations where homosexual behavior is common even though the prisoners are not necessarily homosexuals, or cultures where men are rigidly segregated from women until adulthood, and homosexual activity is accepted and then ceases after marriage.

https://web.archive.org/web/20091119092641/http://www.politicsdaily.com/2009/11/18/new-catholic-sex-abuse-findings-gay-priests-not-the-problem/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6026962/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

Replace "Right" with "Left" and replace "Paedophile" with "Racist"...both sides using the same blanket smear tactics.

I'd take being called a racist over a paedophile any day of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

And I would say case in point, a poster only a page back is trying to blame church sexual abuse on homosexuality.

The All Lives Matter tagline entirely exists to dismiss real issues. It's up there with people who complain about the lack of straight pride rallies. I've not seen the phrase ever used to highlight actual oppression and black lives matter never denied that other forms of oppression exist.

I couldn't find the post where somebody said clerical sexual abuse could be blamed on Homosexuality, perhaps you could quote it for me.

As for BLM, that movement is creating more racism than it is solving. Time for a rethink at this stage.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Remember when the Democrats in the US were accused of having a pedo ring in a pizza place and everyone laughed and thought oh those crazy Americans.

Well this country is getting closer to having a successful Trump/Bannon monster everyday

The conspiracy theory you're referring to is what the flag waving gobdaws that have been demonstrating outside the GPO for the last few weeks believe in.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Frankie Machine

And I would say case in point, a poster only a page back is trying to blame church sexual abuse on homosexuality.

The All Lives Matter tagline entirely exists to dismiss real issues. It's up there with people who complain about the lack of straight pride rallies. I've not seen the phrase ever used to highlight actual oppression and black lives matter never denied that other forms of oppression exist.

The problem here is your need to refract everything through the lens of oppression.

Whereas, simply as a point of principle, it is sufficient to say that 'all lives matter'.

Putting the individual words in capital letters doesn't by itself change that from an Enlightenment ideal to a right-wing, anti-BLM position.

Really, ALM exists as a tagline because BLM exists as a tagline.

Because the world is full of loud dopes who operate at the level of taglines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Calling someone a paedophile is not homophobic regardless of their gender.

It is if the gay person in question isn't actually a pedophile.
    Justin famously blamed paedophilia in the church on gay people.
    Bonniedog wrote: »
    Adults men who have sex with teenage boys are gay.

Maybe, but they aren't nessecarily catholics.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

It is if the gay person in question isn't actually a pedophile.

If a straight person is wrongly called a paedophile, is that 'heterophobia' ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Maybe, but they aren't nessecarily catholics.

Adults who have sex with teenagers of the same gender are obviously gay. Even if that involves coercion or exploitation.

Which is why society has evolved all those laws which the ultra left wishes to get rid of. As Thatchel obviously did at one stage, but perhaps he has changed his position as he has matured.

If a straight person is wrongly called a paedophile, is that 'heterophobia' ?

Heterophobia is apparently the fear of something that is different, so probably not, no.
    Adults who have sex with teenagers of the same gender are obviously gay. Even if that involves coercion or exploitation.

Which is why society has evolved all those laws which the ultra left wishes to get rid of. As Thatchel obviously did at one stage, but perhaps he has changed his position as he has matured.

What's this got to do with your reply to protonmike?

You stated that child sexual abuse in the church was "homosexual".... I've posted multiple sources that back up that it wasn't including the John Jay report. You specifically responded to my point about Barrett claiming paedophilia in the church was related to homosexuality...

• Advertisement

Heterophobia is apparently the fear of something that is different, so probably not, no.

Apparently you thought it was an etymological inquiry.

But anyway...

If, according to you, it is homosexual-phobic when a gay person is wrongly accused of being a paedophile...

is it then heterosexual-phobic when a straight person is wrongly accused of being a paedophile ?

Most straight people would consider that false accusations of paedophilia made against a straight person, being then categorised as a general heterosexual-phobia on the part on the accuser, to be a ridiculous notion. As indeed it is.

So why do you utilise that very double-standard ?

Apparently you thought it was an etymological inquiry.

Apparently the wrod heterophobia did not mean what you thought it meant! (In fairness, I had to look it up too...)
    But anyway...

If, according to you, it is homosexual-phobic when a gay person is wrongly accused of being a paedophile...

is it then heterosexual-phobic when a straight person is wrongly accused of being a paedophile ?

Most straight people would consider that false accusations of paedophilia made against a straight person, being then categorised as a general heterosexual-phobia on the part on the accuser, to be a ridiculous notion. As indeed it is.

So why do you utilise that very double-standard ?

According to me?! I don't make these defintions up!

In asnwer to your question, though: no idea.

Generally speaking though, the expression of a phobia or ism is based on a belief that other groups should not have certain rights, so again - probably not, no.

If it were to happen hypothetically? Yes - but only if the basis for making the statement was to defame a heterosexual person based purely on the fact that they were straight. And thus, there is no double standard: you just assumed that I would disagree with you.

Apparently the wrod heterophobia did not mean what you thought it meant! (In fairness, I had to look it up too...)

Well, you're wrong, actually.

The term is recognised to mean what I 'thought it meant'. I had come across it on the Wiki homophobia page.
    The term heterophobia is sometimes used to describe reverse discrimination or negative attitudes towards heterosexual people and opposite-sex relationships

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homophobia#Heterophobia
    According to me?! I don't make these defintions up!

You aren't obliged to use them either.
    In asnwer to your question, though: no idea.

No idea, eh ? Amazing.
    Generally speaking though, the expression of a phobia or ism is based on a belief that other groups should not have certain rights, so again - probably not, no.

Disagree entirely with all that on the basis of lack of accuracy.

RWCNT wrote: »
    I'd take being called a racist over a paedophile any day of the week.

Cool. Welcome to the non-left club.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Don't see why this should be made a big deal over.

Sure graffiti is not nice and especially when they are saying rude things. But that's life. Graffiti is always going to be around. You just pay no attention to it. All this will do is create more graffiti with her name attached.

No it would be entirely wrong and incorrect as backed up by loads of studies. Those who engage in such abuse don't tend to have such a clearly defined orientation. The poster has made the claim before but it remains untrue.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6026962/

Perhaps not all. But I would take a punt and say the majority of men who had sex with young boys weren't heterosexuals. Call it an educated guess.

Anyway, we are getting away from the topic. I stand by my assertion that calling someone who happens to be gay a paedophile, while a shocking slur on their character, is not homophobic, and I will add to that, the clamouring to call it such by the usual parties, is incredibly disrespectful to those who actually suffer from the very real homophobia that unfortunately still exists in some sections of society.

Well, you're wrong, actually.

The term is recognised to mean what I 'thought it meant'. I had come across it on the Wiki homophobia page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homophobia#Heterophobia

You aren't obliged to use them either.

No idea, eh ? Amazing.

Disagree entirely with all that on the basis of lack of accuracy.

From the link:
    To date, the existence or extent of heterophobia is mostly unrecognized by sexologists. Beyond sexology there is no consensus as to the meaning of the term because it is also used to mean "fear of the opposite"
    So not "wrong"; but we digress.

Can you highlight the "lack of accuracy" and can you gave me a real example of "heterophobia" as you discribe it?

Or are you saying that attacking somoene based on their sexual orientation is NOT a phobia?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

You stated that child sexual abuse in the church was "homosexual".... ...

I did not mention the Catholic Church.

All adults including Catholic clergy who abused teenage boys are homosexual. It is not rocket science.

And all lefties who make excuses for it or indulge in it are cut from the same cloth as the priests and brothers who shared their fondness for riding young fellas.

Both equally deviant members of the gay community, although the former probably don't attend Pride ;)

I did not mention the Catholic Church.

All adults including Catholic clergy who abused teenage boys are homosexual. It is not rocket science.

And all lefties who make excuses for it or indulge in it are cut from the same cloth as the priests and brothers who shared their fondness for riding young fellas.

Both equally deviant members of the gay community, although the former probably don't attend Pride ;)

Don't think you'll find many lefties defending the Catholic Church!

Anyway, it was the reply to a statemeent about the Catholic Church that made it look like you mentioned them.

Don't think you'll find many lefties defending the Catholic Church!

Anyway, it was the reply to a statemeent about the Catholic Church that made it look like you mentioned them.

In fairness, they went out of their way to quote a single sentence so they're not being the most honest I suspect. They've previously made the exact same claim in relation to the church.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Pkiernan wrote: »
    The far left tends to be perverted sexually.
    Anthony Weiner, Roman Polanski, Bill Clinton, R Kelly etc etc

The same with the far right

• Registered Users Posts: 26,434 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

None of those people are far left. I would barely count Weiner and Clinton as left at all

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Far left if your looking at them from a far right position maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,055 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I still don’t see what’s homophobic about it.

I’m genuinely asking and not trying to be a troll.

Is the fact that Mr O’Gorman is gay and him being called a pedophile considered to be homophobic? Or what am I missing?

Yes

breezy1985 wrote: »
    None of those people are far left. I would barely count Weiner and Clinton as left at all

One of the worst parts of discussions these days seem to be that if someone disagrees with you, even remotely, they are immediately classed as "far" right/left.

The amount of times I have been labelled as "far-right" for disagreeing with left leaning opinions is astounding.

But along with other insults and descriptions, it's quickly losing its meaning and impact through misuse and overuse.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

None of those people are “far left”. What an absolutely ridiculous thing to say.

I’d be pretty happy to acknowledge that there are plenty of perverts evenly spread across the politician spectrum.

But i do have to point out that the only actual pedophile rings discovered in Ireland were all priests. Who were enabled by the church hierarchy. An extremely conservative organization.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Adults men who have sex with teenage boys are gay.
    Adults who have sex with teenagers of the same gender are obviously gay.
    All adults including Catholic clergy who abused teenage boys are homosexual.

Both equally deviant members of the gay community.

Mod: About as lazy a generalisation as you can get. Paedophile != gay, and vice versa. Don't post in the thread again. Push this diatribe elsewhere, and it will result in a forum ban.

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Ah yes, infamous Marxist R Kelly.
    I hear the Trots have replaced The Internationale with Ignition as the song the song at the end of all their meetings.

This post is a work of genius. Thank you.

they/them/theirs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Stark wrote: »
    Lots of people have been photographed with Peter Tatchell. Gemmaroid types picked on O'Gorman because they figured they could get the "gay man is paedophile" thing to stick.

I think it's more to do with the fact he is minister for children.
    That's the angle they went for.

No homophobic graffiti. Thread title wrong

• Advertisement

2u2me wrote: »
    The same Kamala Harris(29) that had an affair with Willie Brown(then 60).

How lucky for her to be granted such great positions of power soon after, thanks to Willie, the mayor.

She didn’t have “an affair” with Willie Brown. He was separated from his wife for 10 years when they dated for a while.

Jesus, it’s amazing how you this “slept her way to the top” narrative was accepted as true. She’s an incredibly capable and intelligent woman, why do people need a seedy reason she’s successful?

they/them/theirs

Advertisement