Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Predicted Grades Appeals

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

km79 wrote: »
    https://www.education.ie/en/Circulars-and-Forms/Active-Circulars/cl0059_2020.pdf

I think the latest Friday evening circular sums up this mess nicely
    Click the link and be amazed at the ineptitude on display

Very informative. Would read again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Ah that's unreal altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Very informative. Would read again.

Given that they released it just before the weekend and have clocked off until Monday it probably won’t even be changed
    It should be sent out to every parent in every school and every media outlet to show what we are dealing with
    It’s bad enough that they even waited until the Friday evening before the results to release it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

https://www.education.ie/en/Circulars-and-Forms/Active-Circulars/cl0059_2020.pdf

I suppose you could say that the message is at least consistent if nothing else. :pac:

Given that they released it just before the weekend and have clocked off until Monday it probably won’t even be changed
    It should be sent out to every parent in every school and every media outlet to show what we are dealing with
    It’s bad enough that they even waited until the Friday evening before the results to release it

I for one feel that the clarity evident in the document is a quality that has long been absent. It is a welcome circular.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Treppen wrote: »
    Bit rough saying a teacher who has high expectations for their students is dishonest. The 17% of grades that the department wants to bump down... Is that really from 'dishonest' teachers?
    No, I think it will be a minority (though not an inconsequentially small minority) who will have been dishonest. Mostly, it will just be teachers doing a bad job.
    Not their* fault. They haven’t been trained for it and even if they had, many of them doing a bad job is inevitable, and the lack of any real oversight won’t have helped matters.
    The fact that overall, there will have been inflation across the board does not mean that a lot of deserving students won’t miss out and that a lot of undeserving students won’t gain.

*To be clear, I am not excluding myself from this. It’s just as likely that I did a bad job as anyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Good lord that’s the actual document they uploaded??! I genuinely thought this was a joke this morning....

Good lord that’s the actual document they uploaded??! I genuinely thought this was a joke this morning....

That’s it
    Still there
    Sure it’s the weekend for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Treppen

They should have put this at the bottom

Rickcirculard

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

RealJohn wrote: »
    I think it has nothing to do with me. I’m a teacher. I don’t work for the CAO.

I asked for an opinion not ur hand in marriage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Alqua

I thought km had fooled us all nicely! Gobsmacked now.

Alqua wrote: »
    I thought km had fooled us all nicely! Gobsmacked now.

No it’s real
    That’s it
    Still there
    Sure they don’t work weekends or holidays same as us .......

I must send it to our friendly education correspondents in the media

Still up today. If a school did something like this it would be removed immediately regardless of the day of the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Treppen

Still up today. If a school did something like this it would be removed immediately regardless of the day of the week.

The minions in the department are probably under strict instructions to upload an announcement every Friday, no matter what.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I had steeled myself for "what madcap u turn or ill conceived plan have they rushed out now?", but I was not prepared for that. Personally I think there is a hardcore troll in charge of DES circulars and press releases so I shouldn't be surprised.

I see the LC exams “plan “ is nights and weekends ?
    Where ?
    Organized by whom ?
    School staff are at breaking point already

I see the LC exams “plan “ is nights and weekends ?
    Where ?
    Organized by whom ?
    School staff are at breaking point already
    They're relying on the fact that most students won't bother, as long as they get a college course they're satisfied with, or are happy with their pretend grades and go off to work.
    If most students decided they were going to sit most of their exams, they'd cancel the exams again, because they wouldn't have the resources to hold them.

They're relying on the fact that most students won't bother, as long as they get a college course they're satisfied with, or are happy with their pretend grades and go off to work.
    If most students decided they were going to sit most of their exams, they'd cancel the exams again, because they wouldn't have the resources to hold them.

Some schools will have their best ever results this year whilst others may have lots of students who want to do the exam. I think the uptake for the exam will be disproportionate across the country.

Some schools will have their best ever results this year whilst others may have lots of students who want to do the exam. I think the uptake for the exam will be disproportionate across the country.
    I agree, but in the cold light of day, I think most students will opt not to sit the exams, even if they’re disappointed with their results, as long as they’ve been offered a college place they’re willing to try, or if they’re not going to college and their pretend grades are good enough for what the want (plc/army/Gardaí, etc).

Along with the 100% exam with no practical components except for a couple of exams, it’s just further discouragement

• Advertisement

I agree, but in the cold light of day, I think most students will opt not to sit the exams, even if they’re disappointed with their results, as long as they’ve been offered a college place they’re willing to try, or if they’re not going to college and their pretend grades are good enough for what the want (plc/army/Gardaí, etc).

With 83% of grades unchanged, and triple the number of H1s there isn’t too much for the vast majority of LCs to be disappointed about

With 83% of grades unchanged, and triple the number of H1s there isn’t too much for the vast majority of LCs to be disappointed about

Points will rise. Not all courses will have increased places. There will be more random entries. Students will be disappointed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

It will make it very difficult for LC 2021 if points rise this year and students defer or reapply for 2021 entr. It can't be a level playing field with inflated grades this year?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭Eleven Benevolent Elephants

This is going to be a shitstorm for all parties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

It will make it very difficult for LC 2021 if points rise this year and students defer or reapply for 2021 entr. It can't be a level playing field with inflated grades this year?

Not to mention every pre 2020 LC student who has applied this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 brighterspark

I had steeled myself for "what madcap u turn or ill conceived plan have they rushed out now?", but I was not prepared for that. Personally I think there is a hardcore troll in charge of DES circulars and press releases so I shouldn't be surprised.

Looks like circular has been updated !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

16 page document, Irish first with information and procedures for schools that are relevant and needed for 9am tomorrow when they release the results. They are a thundering disgrace

• Registered Users Posts: 41 brighterspark

16 page document, Irish first with information and procedures for schools that are relevant and needed for 9am tomorrow when they release the results. They are a thundering disgrace

Very useful to know schools can release students from class tomorrow (to free up staff to support exam students) on a Sunday night!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭amacca

Very useful to know schools can release students from class tomorrow (to free up staff to support exam students) on a Sunday night!

eh what?.......release existing students from class??

release them where? when? for how long? onto school grounds unsupervised (as the other teachers will be in their classes) or release them home ...so that the teacher can do what......high five the ones who got what they wanted and commiserate with those that didnt??

and schools find that out the sunday beforehand??

ffs how about whats done is done there is literally no need for the students to be on the school grounds tomorrow as they cant be congregating anyway (half the point of coming in)...and if there is a problem the teacher can do sweet f all about it anyway...all that can be appealed is the clerical side of things

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

amacca wrote: »
    eh what?.......release existing students from class??

release them where? when? for how long? onto school grounds unsupervised (as the other teachers will be in their classes) or release them home ...so that the teacher can do what......high five the ones who got what they wanted and commiserate with those that didnt??

and schools find that out the sunday beforehand??

ffs how about whats done is done there is literally no need for the students to be on the school grounds tomorrow as they cant be congregating anyway (half the point of coming in)...and if there is a problem the teacher can do sweet f all about it anyway...all that can be appealed is the clerical side of things

That was flagged in a letter sent out on Thursday by the TUI

"Schools have been advised to provide support to students in an appropriate way on the day, through enabling students to come to the school if they wish at a scheduled time, following COVID-19 and health and safety protocols, to meet with members of the Student Support Team such as Guidance Counsellors, Year Heads, Tutors and Chaplains. Schools will have the flexibility to ask some classes of current students not to attend school on that day to ensure adequate social distancing in schools."

Advertisement