Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Predicted Grades Appeals

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭amacca

That was flagged in a letter sent out on Thursday by the TUI

"Schools have been advised to provide support to students in an appropriate way on the day, through enabling students to come to the school if they wish at a scheduled time, following COVID-19 and health and safety protocols, to meet with members of the Student Support Team such as Guidance Counsellors, Year Heads, Tutors and Chaplains. Schools will have the flexibility to ask some classes of current students not to attend school on that day to ensure adequate social distancing in schools."

hmmm so the circular only has it officially in it on sunday evening though?

I suppose it is workable to some extent as described above but unlikely many would take it up surely and school management cant be expected to plan for it only receiving circular today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

The current students have missed enough time without leaving them home for another day. If there are LC students who want someone to talk to then I think the most appropriate course of action is to let them have access to guidance counsellor / chaplain etc by appointment. Not a free for all.

Our TYs are being left at home tomorrow in favour of last years LCs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

I can't see the circular? Yesterday's link not working either.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Jajadog

Just curious..did most teachers here ‘inflate’ their students grades? If not I’m not sure why everyone keeps referring to them as ‘ inflated grades’. It’s a bit of a kick in the teeth to hardworking students who absolutely deserve their predicted grades. Seeing that term all over the media can’t be very nice for the LC students.

Jajadog wrote: »
    Just curious..did most teachers here ‘inflate’ their students grades? If not I’m not sure why everyone keeps referring to them as ‘ inflated grades’. It’s a bit of a kick in the teeth to hardworking students who absolutely deserve their predicted grades. Seeing that term all over the media can’t be very nice for the LC students.

The media have reported that there are triple the number of H1s, so that would indicated grade inflation nationally.... but I see what you did there. Nice try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

Nothing on website now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

The original link to the joke document worked for me a few hours ago and downloaded the updated document. But I see it's not listed on the DES website now and link no longer working. They really are a shambles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

This is a literal omnishambles, did anyone manage to download the circular before it disappeared?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

This is a literal omnishambles, did anyone manage to download the circular before it disappeared?

Maybe the Inspectorate could divert their attention to the DES for the next two years and fix it before attempting to evaluate schools.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Jajadog wrote: »

I hate the term grade inflation, but if teachers give as accurate assessment as they possibly can then it is still inevitable that grades will be better this year.
    That does not indicate incompetence or malpractice on part of teachers.
    Every year there will statistically be a certain number of pupils that will underperform. Either through nerves on the day or insufficient preparation in the few weeks beforehand.

It is impossible for a teacher to identify these individual pupils, in the calculated grades process. Therefore results this year will be better than previous years.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

The grades will be very lite this year so people will get better grades than they deserve
    So you going to get a lot of university drop outs as they can't keep up

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Maybe the Inspectorate could divert their attention to the DES for the next two years and fix it before attempting to evaluate schools.

I can't remember who suggested it but putting them back in classroom in DEIS schools given the shortage of teachers is still my favourite repurposing of staff. Sure they are experts .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭amacca

I can't remember who suggested it but putting them back in classroom in DEIS schools given the shortage of teachers is still my favourite repurposing of staff. Sure they are experts .....

+100000000 :D

With the same lack of resources, disciplinary back up, micro management, and the full complement of meaningless box ticking ass covering documentation/planning .... etc etc

+ full hours, mixed ability classes anx expect them to take a team or two and give up the odd weekend + evenings and maybe even get no sleep on the foreign tour along with getting the sitting through the full monty jct wellbeing inservices etc etc

Lets see them coming out bright eyed and bushy tailed out of that

amacca wrote: »
    +100000000 :D

With the same lack of resources, disciplinary back up, micro management, and the full complement of meaningless box ticking ass covering documentation/planning .... etc etc

I would expect them to attend all Croke Park hours, and sit through inservice on the new Junior Cycle and go for many ghost walks....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I once had a student zip his jacket up over his head and tell the inspector to fcuk off, then chant "get rid of her" after she tried to interact with him. I'm all for inspectors back in the classroom.

Who would have thought accountancy teachers would be the most generous (least accurate) teachers in the country? Almost 18% of students given H 1s!

What a mess!

It very hard to know between subjects. I'd be very confident of my Biology grades, I've corrected for the SEC. I know the scheme, it's reasonable predictable and the variance year to year in the scheme is minimal.

HL maths, honestly, a stats heavy paper 2 and calculus heavy paper one would have put one student at number one. More probability, it would have been a different student. Part of the problem is not being able to see the exam in some subjects I'd imagine. Might have three capable of a H1 but then you are the paper and know if just won't suit student X and they will probably get a good H2. Without the paper these predications become much harder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭touts

Norma Foley on Morning Ireland already hanging teachers out to dry in relation to the way the grades were calculated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Treppen

Wow Norma on RTE radio hasn't a clue.

She says students will have access to the material used to calculate the grade.

Interview asked her about the department requesting that teachers destroy material used for the calculation of the grade and she said it wasn't the department who said that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭touts

Treppen wrote: »

Interview asked her about the department requesting that teachers destroy material used for the calculation of the grade and she said it wasn't the department who said that.

Lawyer up lads because it's pretty certain the department is preparing to blame local teachers as a central plank of their defence of the incoming high court cases.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Wtaf was that interview? She hadn’t a clue. Has she even seen the form?? There’s nothing like that level of detail on it and we destroyed our spreadsheets we calculated with as instructed

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Ll31

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jajadog View Post
    I hate the term grade inflation, but if teachers give as accurate assessment as they possibly can then it is still inevitable that grades will be better this year.
    That does not indicate incompetence or malpractice on part of teachers.
    Every year there will statistically be a certain number of pupils that will underperform. Either through nerves on the day or insufficient preparation in the few weeks beforehand.

It is impossible for a teacher to identify these individual pupils, in the calculated grades process. Therefore results this year will be better than previous years.
    joe40 is offline Report Post

But that's not really an explanation. Every year there will also be students who over perform too . I dont blame teachers but theres no doubt that there has been grade inflation.

I agree with poster above tho who says the dept should be made fit for purpose. Since last March they should have had someone looking at how to do calculated grades with a view to having advice in place at the start of this school year. Now maybe theyve done that but I dont know. Otherwise we'll possibly have the same situation this year ....

touts wrote: »
    Norma Foley on Morning Ireland already hanging teachers out to dry in relation to the way the grades were calculated.

Since this utterly defunct system was mentioned by radio DJs in March, it has been noted that it would fail. The government knew this and it wasn't an oversight. This is exactly what they wanted to happen and having a teacher as MoE is the perfect cherry on top for FF/FG.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

I wouldn’t pay any attention to anything in the media today - they’ve been salivating waiting for the chance to stir up some stories. Well done to all the students, inflated or not, they got through this horrible year.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

At this point....if they aren't able for their college course, time will tell that.

They are in the adult world now.

Treppen wrote: »

Clearly whatever media training happened in the last month wasn't enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

I’m going to come right out and say it
    I told ye so

She is an absolute disaster
    The portfolio needed an experienced steady hand
    Instead we got a county councilor because she was a teacher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Comer1

I wonder what kind of inflation can we expect on points requirements for college places?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Valeofhoney

touts wrote: »

Teacher in clonmel gave H4 to student who was asked to go back to Ordinary maths and failing all class tests also same Teacher gave a H7 to a student that never sat class tests and went home most days maths was on in afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Treppen

Wtaf was that interview? She hadn’t a clue. Has she even seen the form?? There’s nothing like that level of detail on it and we destroyed our spreadsheets we calculated with as instructed

From the journal https://www.thejournal.ie/live-reaction-as-the-class-of-2020-receive-their-leaving-cert-results-from-9am-5197551-Sep2020/

When asked about whether teachers destroyed supporting documentation to help them arrive at their calculated mark, Foley told RTÉ’s Morning Ireland that teachers had to fill in two forms where they highlighted the evidence where they got their grade information.

“That information is all available and retained in the schools and will be available to the appeals process. Certainly the Form A and Form B [that teachers fill in] is retained within the school,” Foley said this morning.

Advertisement