Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picnic bench

Options
  • 15-08-2020 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,594 ✭✭✭

Hi

Looking to buy a picnic bench for the back, just for occasional dining outside. Budget max 200.

Should I get one with 3 slats in the seating area or is 2 fine?

Rounded or square edges?

Should I always get a “treated” wood one?

Any other things I should know?

This looks decent: https://www.donedeal.ie/view/24774379
    Not sure on its quality or strength as not an A bench shape at the side and has the bar at the bottom.

another option:

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/25015270

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I wouldn't buy that one, it has very little strength - depending slightly on the timber, those uprights are balanced on about 4 inches of support, if its softwood - which I reckon it is - it will be rotten and wobbly in no time. And you are not going to sit and relax over your beer/coffee/wine with your backside on those narrow benches, they are more like perches. It would be ok for kids but I wouldn't fancy it as an adult.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,594 ✭✭✭obi604

looksee wrote: »
    I wouldn't buy that one, it has very little strength - depending slightly on the timber, those uprights are balanced on about 4 inches of support, if its softwood - which I reckon it is - it will be rotten and wobbly in no time. And you are not going to sit and relax over your beer/coffee/wine with your backside on those narrow benches, they are more like perches. It would be ok for kids but I wouldn't fancy it as an adult.

Thank you. Do you mean the bench in the first link?

Oh yes, I didn't see the second link. That one looks like a better proposition, it would still not be my choice for seating but if you would find it ok, then it looks more sound than the first one.

Oh yes, I didn't see the second link. That one looks like a better proposition, it would still not be my choice for seating but if you would find it ok, then it looks more sound than the first one.

What would you recommend?

Well it depends on who it is for. If it is for children then a picnic bench is fine. I personally think they are not very comfortable to sit at for any length of time. Are there likely to be any older people/grandparents? I'd prefer a chair and table, but they can be less suitable for small children.

• Advertisement

Well it depends on who it is for. If it is for children then a picnic bench is fine. I personally think they are not very comfortable to sit at for any length of time. Are there likely to be any older people/grandparents? I'd prefer a chair and table, but they can be less suitable for small children.

The children have their own little picnic table Already :) . So was thinking of getting one for adults and possibly grandparents from time to time.

What kind of chair and table do you allude to? A wicker type material is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭phormium

I made a picnic bench a few weeks ago for use when the grandchildren are around, it's big enough for adults too but I must say I hate sitting on picnic benches, they are not comfy and I dislike having to step in to them for some reason :)

My choice for adults too would be a table and chairs, I have one on the patio that I think I got from Argos, metal and glass round table and 4 folding metal/textile chairs that I can put away in winter. That said the chairs need replacing at this stage as it's quite old and some have rusted and torn and it was impossible earlier in summer to get reasonable garden furniture anywhere, the early fine weather during lockdown saw it sold out everywhere. Last place I saw some for handy money was Littlewoods sale.

phormium wrote: »
    I made a picnic bench a few weeks ago for use when the grandchildren are around, it's big enough for adults too but I must say I hate sitting on picnic benches, they are not comfy and I dislike having to step in to them for some reason :)

My choice for adults too would be a table and chairs, I have one on the patio that I think I got from Argos, metal and glass round table and 4 folding metal/textile chairs that I can put away in winter. That said the chairs need replacing at this stage as it's quite old and some have rusted and torn and it was impossible earlier in summer to get reasonable garden furniture anywhere, the early fine weather during lockdown saw it sold out everywhere. Last place I saw some for handy money was Littlewoods sale.

Thank you. You are making me re think the picnic bench scenario ;)

What do ye make of this and the price:

https://m.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4595528.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 17,969 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Where abouts are you?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Where abouts are you?

Galway. Why do you ask?

• Advertisement

obi604 wrote: »
    Galway. Why do you ask?

I bought one a fews back in Newcastle Dublin for 145 and its perfect, think they deliver nationwide.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I bought one a fews back in Newcastle Dublin for 145 and its perfect, think they deliver nationwide.

Ah ok. As in a picnic bench is it?

obi604 wrote: »
    Ah ok. As in a picnic bench is it?

Yep.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Nice set, will you have somewhere to store it in winter? I like to take my chairs in at least, the table I have with a glass top is a bit more robust, I don't think anything does well left out in the weather all the time.

phormium wrote: »
    Nice set, will you have somewhere to store it in winter? I like to take my chairs in at least, the table I have with a glass top is a bit more robust, I don't think anything does well left out in the weather all the time.

https://m.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4595528.htm

Yeah. Could store it alright.

Would the quality of this be ok?

Don't know, I have a small set of that rattan plastic stuff but it has been indoors in a sunroom for years, lasted well there though.

I have a couple of chrome looking metal frame chairs with plastic woven back and seat which has been out in all weathers for several years and is still perfect.

Advertisement