Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Mobile Data Charges

Options
  • 15-08-2020 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭

We've been using my wife's phone as a mobile hotspot recently, watching a few movies whilst on staycation. I was keeping a close eye on her 15 GB data limit. It was showing just above 13 GB the other evening, so we watched 30 minutes of Young Offenders. I checked again, just over 14GB, so another episode. Just before the end I received the warning text that we'd reached the limit. So we watched the final three minutes and switched off. I checked the useage, it was 360 MB over, at 3 cent per MB that's around a tenner. My fault, no big deal.
    I decided to double check the total on live chat and was told that there was a 36 euro charge now due, because I had kept on using data after I had switched off the hotspot. I explained that couldn't be, the useage actually showed only 360 MB over limit.
    I was told that it was what it was, a hotspot burns through data, but they'd look into it.
    I've since looked at the data record on 'my useage' on the phone. It shows 1 GB use every two minutes during the time we were watching (while within our limit!)
    I'm no tekkie, can anyone tell me if it's possible to be using data accidentally this way? Live chat is telling me that I didn't switch off after use, but I know I did.....all advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Phone is reporting very unlikely numbers so I'd ignore the data is providing you.

Tesco will believe Three/Tescos data reports over your handset, not a battle you'll win.

Advertisement