Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best pre-paid debit card?

Options
  • 15-08-2020 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Looking for people's opinions on pre-paid debit cards. Looking to get one purely for use online. Had a look at bonkers.ie to compare the various options. Swirl seems like a good option..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭antimatterx

The three money card? https://www.three.ie/3money/

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swampy353

NCW feen wrote: »
    Looking for people's opinions on pre-paid debit cards. Looking to get one purely for use online. Had a look at bonkers.ie to compare the various options. Swirl seems like a good option..

Revolut, the benefits of prepaid cards plus lower exchange rates, disposable card numbers, no fees for top ups and online registration.
    If you sign up, you can get your card number etc through the app to use prior to the card arriving in the post

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

+1 for revolut.

it does a whole lot more than requested ... but fits the request!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭AngryLips

I recently ordered the Transferwise debit card because I've found that they offer better exchange rates than Revolut (at least for GBP). Also, their app isn't as stupid as the Revolut app. You also have the option of setting up bank accounts in foreign countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭0xzmro3n4y7lb5

The three money card? https://www.three.ie/3money/

Have you seen the charges? They charge for everything.

https://www.three.ie/3money/3money-fees-and-limits/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,038 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Revolut and monese both very good

AngryLips wrote: »
    I recently ordered the Transferwise debit card because I've found that they offer better exchange rates than Revolut (at least for GBP). Also, their app isn't as stupid as the Revolut app. You also have the option of setting up bank accounts in foreign countries.

A euro more in your pocket with Revolut than transferwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Have you seen the charges? They charge for everything.

https://www.three.ie/3money/3money-fees-and-limits/

I haven't. I had it years ago when it was the O2 money card, and it was great.

I haven't. I had it years ago when it was the O2 money card, and it was great.

Yeh I was the same had the O2 and loved it but when 3 took over they brought in charges for everything.

My nephew was giving out to me so he eventually moved me to Revolut and it’s much better. I can’t top up in shops but since Covid hit that’s not a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Toxica

I have the Skrill card and love it. They charge €10 per year for it though.

• Advertisement

Toxica wrote: »
    I have the Skrill card and love it. They charge €10 per year for it though.

They don't seem to do android/apply pay which at this point is a near necessity for me. It's great not having a limit on contactless payments and having to touch manky credit card terminals

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Toxica

swampy353 wrote: »
    They don't seem to do android/apply pay which at this point is a near necessity for me. It's great not having a limit on contactless payments and having to touch manky credit card terminals

I understand but their card is contactless. I don't use apple/android pay.

Toxica wrote: »
    I understand but their card is contactless. I don't use apple/android pay.

That's fair enough, it's just something that I use fairly extensively, I struggle to think of the last time I used my physical card

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Squiggle

Revolut all the way but because it's a loss making Fintech I only stick on the card what I'm about to spend. Funds in Revolut are not covered by the deposit guarantee scheme.

Squiggle wrote: »
    Revolut all the way but because it's a loss making Fintech I only stick on the card what I'm about to spend. Funds in Revolut are not covered by the deposit guarantee scheme.

From bonkers
    As Revolut has a banking licence in Lithuania, its customers there are covered by Lithuania's own version of the DGS up to €100,000. Had Revolut passported its banking licence from Lithuania to Ireland then customers of Revolut in Ireland would also have been covered by the Lithuanian deposit protection scheme

As far as I am aware, they are in the process of getting an Irish banking licence

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

From bonkers
    As Revolut has a banking licence in Lithuania, its customers there are covered by Lithuania's own version of the DGS up to €100,000. Had Revolut passported its banking licence from Lithuania to Ireland then customers of Revolut in Ireland would also have been covered by the Lithuanian deposit protection scheme

As far as I am aware, they are in the process of getting an Irish banking licence

No, no different than buying phone credit in Ireland. And they have been getting a banking licence for Ireland soon for the last 2-3 years, wouldn't hold much hope.

GarIT wrote: »
    No

Informative and in depth... Care to expand?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Informative and in depth... Care to expand?

I was trying to boards wouldn't let me on, getting server errors. Edited now.

GarIT wrote: »
    No, no different than buying phone credit in Ireland. And they have been getting a banking licence for Ireland soon for the last 2-3 years, wouldn't hold much hope.

Maybe not on the Irish licence but one way or another, your money is well protected. Between the Lithuanian deposit guarantee and the fact for every euro deposited revolut have to match it with deposits to Lloyds Bank, even if they went under all money is backed up.

For most people they use revolut as a 2nd account, doubt many use it for anything big like a house deposit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Squiggle

From bonkers

When you open a Revolut account you are dealing with Revolut Payments UAB , a licensed e money processor and not Revolut Bank UAB .

Even customers in Lithuania who use Revolut have their contract with Revolut Payments UAB.

Revolut is great and I love it for FX but be smart and leave your money in an Irish bank account, where it's guaranteed, until you need it for Revolut. As we know it only takes seconds to make the transfer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement