Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are council estates such high crime areas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭The Unbearables

There is a council estate across the road from us and houses go for over 500K. Wouldn’t say people would willingly be paying that to leave in a ‘dump’. It’s like everything, there are scales. Some estates are rough some aren’t. Location has a massive influence on it. The old saying if leaving in the worst house in the best estate can translate to the worst estate in the best area. Kids brought up there see success, they make connections they know things are achievable. Kids brought up in bad areas often don’t get that those opportunities coupled with an address from undesirable area.

And people judging them just because of where they live. This thread is proof enough of that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 140 ✭✭gailforecast

Just saw a video of that Chinese women being pushed into the canal. A grown up women pushed into a ****ing river by 3 scrotes and then they get a huge laugh from their mates. It's weird actually, you hear one or two of them say 'boys', which effectively is the ones with a bit higher empathy knowing what they've done but their character and role models are so **** that a lame 'boys' is all they can say.

That’s actually what was the inspiration for this thread. Chinese immigrant, probably working and studying in a strange foreign country. These lads are from the nations capital, have the best education and opportunities the country has to offer on their doorstep, yet will still wear the fact that they’re wasting their lives as a badge of honour.

That’s actually what was the inspiration for this thread. Chinese immigrant, probably working and studying in a strange foreign country. These lads are from the nations capital, have the best education and opportunities the country has to offer on their doorstep, yet will still wear the fact that they’re wasting their lives as a badge of honour.

Again what's that got to do with the thread title?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

And people judging them just because of where they live. This thread is proof enough of that.

They certainly don’t here. How would you know who was a private V council tenant. My point was more association is key. This is why building a certain percentage of social housing in new estates is vital. Eventually ( I hope ) the stigma is removed. Integration helps all society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Some truly vile and narrow-minded opinions in this thread altogether.

Maybe try a little self reflection and imagine how your life might have gone if you were raised in a broken home; or if your peers growing up had such a broken home and their behaviours influenced yours in a negative way.

Or maybe imagine living in a household with no money and feeling pressured to seek paying work over and above engaging with your education; either because you can't see any prospects ahead of you or because it's just what your mates are doing and you don't want to be left out when they go for a few cans at the weekend.

Do you think babies born into broken homes are genetically predisposed to not stay in education or to lack respect for authority or society? No; it's because of the environment they're raised in.

• Advertisement

I live in a rough estate. It's actually not a bad old spot. I'd say easily 80-90% of people living here are grand, 'keep the head down and get on with it' kind of people

The amount of people that cause trouble are fairly small, but they tend to recruit a lot of easily-lead followers. The problem is, there is simply NO punishment for them acting the bollocks. People in the estate can't do anything as the normal people would be the ones in trouble with the Gardai if they did anything to the scum, the scum are well aware that they Gardai can't punish them, so they don't give a ****e about the Gardai, and the parents are so completely useless that the thoughts of the Gardai bringing the child home is 'mad craic' rather than the wake up it should be that your child is scum.

One week of the US-styed 'no nonsense' policing would change Ireland in a heart beat. The scum over here have no backbone or spine. They would be bawling their eyes crying at a good hiding, but the Gardai aren't allowed to do it, and the scum know that.

Hence scramber bikes taunting Gardai and scum telling Gardai they'll beat them up and give them a kicking. Look at that "Inside The K" show. That's the problem with most 'disadvantaged' estates. Bunch of scumbags who are anything but disadvantaged, doing what they want, with no repercussions.

Again what's that got to do with the thread title?

What do you mean “again”? You’ve never asked that in the first place.

But since you asked, I’d be 99% sure these scumbags are for Dolphins Barn or the Crumlin area.

ronivek wrote: »
    Some truly vile and narrow-minded opinions in this thread altogether.

Maybe try a little self reflection and imagine how your life might have gone if you were raised in a broken home; or if your peers growing up had such a broken home and their behaviours influenced yours in a negative way.

Or maybe imagine living in a household with no money and feeling pressured to seek paying work over and above engaging with your education; either because you can't see any prospects ahead of you or because it's just what your mates are doing and you don't want to be left out when they go for a few cans at the weekend.

Do you think babies born into broken homes are genetically predisposed to not stay in education or to lack respect for authority or society? No; it's because of the environment they're raised in.

Nonsense post with nothing based on reality in it.

I've a sibling who is the stereotype of most of these scum. There is no broken home sob-story and there certainly isn't a need for them to look for work (never had a job).

Yet they have a nicer house than me, in an area far away from the sh/thole they grew up in, because they played the system and got all the freebies along the way.

Every day there are people who have broken homes and can't get work, they don't ride scramblers around and have bonfires beside their neighbours houses, break into local businesses and threaten the Gardai.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Limpy wrote: »
    Government policy.

No personal responsibility

But since you asked, I’d be 99% sure these scumbags are for Dolphins Barn or the Crumlin area.

Post 30. Please keep up.

• Advertisement

It also infuriates me, that you can still get a free council house, despite having active and ongoing criminal records. Any Garda issues should knock you to the bottom of the housing list, but the Council's have no interest in dealing with scum, either.

I also am of the belief that taking money from the government, to pay the council rent, is beyond stupid. It should be stopped at source for people claiming social welfare payments.

i know a woman with two teenagers (15 + 17) and she works part time. Her rent is €25 per week. How can anyone fall behind on that and think it's justifiable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

One week of the US-styed 'no nonsense' policing would change Ireland in a heart beat. The scum over here have no backbone or spine. They would be bawling their eyes crying at a good hiding, but the Gardai aren't allowed to do it, and they know that.

You're living in coo-coo land. Have a look at some of the ghettos or trailer parks in the USA and see how well that kind of approach works. Or even some of the small ****heel towns which relied on mining or industry and are now drug and crime riddled cesspools.

Or even talk to anyone who lived in some of the ****tier Dublin areas in the 60s/70s/80s when the Gardai did go around beating people; it didn't stop a ****ing thing other than making them run from the Gardai as opposed to stand there and verbally abuse them. It didn't help victims of crime in the ****ing slightest.

You do know there are private houses in those areas?
    If you wanted a thread about the poor Asian woman being thrown in the canal, then why didn't you start that thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

Councils who are stuck with problem families and the fact most get away with so much crime

I've seen plenty of council estates west of Ireland. Nearly all grand and quiet worst would be some couples airing dirty laundry in public outside the house sort of thing

Then some knackbag family gets moved in and destroys the place with drugs, antisocial behaviour etc

Residents of estate spend years ringing Gardai and Council to be met by silence. Usually from what I've seen council only moves the family when locals snap and trash or worse the knack bags house. They move them to another part of the county for them to start trouble all over again

Council can't just evict them and say **** off no more social housing for ye as they are bound to house them

Then a suspended sentence after a sob story keeps them out of jail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

They certainly don’t here. How would you know who was a private V council tenant. My point was more association is key. This is why building a certain percentage of social housing in new estates is vital. Eventually ( I hope ) the stigma is removed. Integration helps all society.

Placing public housing within mostly private housing is pure ideology, nothing else

ronivek wrote: »
    You're living in coo-coo land. Have a look at some of the ghettos or trailer parks in the USA and see how well that kind of approach works. Or even some of the small ****heel towns which relied on mining or industry and are now drug and crime riddled cesspools.

Or even talk to anyone who lived in some of the ****tier Dublin areas in the 60s/70s/80s when the Gardai did go around beating people; it didn't stop a ****ing thing other than making them run from the Gardai as opposed to stand there and verbally abuse them. It didn't help victims of crime in the ****ing slightest.

(This turned into a longer post than I expected)

The US is it's own basket case country with more than enough problems, but they do have aspects of policing down better than we do. The Gardai are a waste of time. The Police in the US might not have whole control of certain areas, and I don't doubt that they are incompetent in many ways themselves, but the typical Irish scummer is not up to a good beating.

It would absolutely change the way they behave. If you're aware that you're going to have to run from the Gardai, then you're not as likely to do things that will have them looking for you.

For example, I seen a while ago a Garda car pull into a street in my estate. There were approx 6-7 scumbags sitting on a wall beside the Garda car. The scum had recently arrived there (within 5-10 mins of them arriving, gardai arrived). Presumably the Gardai were looking for them for something they did wherever they were before they arrived at that spot.

The Garda car barely came to a stop, before one of the scummers got up, kicked the passenger door of the car (denting it) and told the Gardai (2 inside the car) to get out and he'd "box the fcuking head off him". After a few finger points from the Garda, and a lot more "come on out, come on!" from the scummer, the Gardai left.

I was fully sure that they would return within a few minutes with a barrage of other Gardai and tackle the scum and make an example out of them, especially the one that was keen to fight them. Instead, nothing happened. Not a thing. The Gardai weren't seen again and about an hour later the scumbags all went their own ways.

I can guarantee you, if the Gardai had a few more members, and were allowed give a hiding, that situation would simply not have occurred in the first place. As someone else said above - it's the same people, causing the same issues, in the same places, over and over again.

I'm not saying a beating is the only way forward, but the judiciary in this country are even more useless than the Gardai, so at least if they got a hiding it'd be an immediate punishment.

I'd rather see "anti social behaviour" be defined and punished by the judiciary and councils, but that's even less likely than a Garda giving them a clatter. :(

I live in a rough estate. It's actually not a bad old spot. I'd say easily 80-90% of people living here are grand, 'keep the head down and get on with it' kind of people

The amount of people that cause trouble are fairly small, but they tend to recruit a lot of easily-lead followers. The problem is, there is simply NO punishment for them acting the bollocks. People in the estate can't do anything as the normal people would be the ones in trouble with the Gardai if they did anything to the scum, the scum are well aware that they Gardai can't punish them, so they don't give a ****e about the Gardai, and the parents are so completely useless that the thoughts of the Gardai bringing the child home is 'mad craic' rather than the wake up it should be that your child is scum.

One week of the US-styed 'no nonsense' policing would change Ireland in a heart beat. The scum over here have no backbone or spine. They would be bawling their eyes crying at a good hiding, but the Gardai aren't allowed to do it, and the scum know that.

Hence scramber bikes taunting Gardai and scum telling Gardai they'll beat them up and give them a kicking. Look at that "Inside The K" show. That's the problem with most 'disadvantaged' estates. Bunch of scumbags who are anything but disadvantaged, doing what they want, with no repercussions.

the councils are handcuffed from doing anything by political correctness, if any of those scummers were evicted, assh0les like Paul Murphy, Ruth Coppinger and a plethora of journalist **** would be all over the local authority like a cheap suit , wailing about " the vulnerable " and how this is " Thatcherism " or other b0ll0cks

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    the councils are handcuffed from doing anything by political correctness, if any of those scummers were evicted, assh0les like Paul Murphy, Ruth Coppinger and a plethora of journalist **** would be all over the local authority like a cheap suit , wailing about " the vulnerable " and how this is " Thatcherism " or other b0ll0cks

I am aware of that, but nonetheless they should still be evicted. The moaners will be in the minority I am sure.

The issue is, as the council's are well aware, they can't make these useless c/nts homeless. I seen a single woman wreck not one, not two, not three, but FOUR council houses. And each time she got evicted, she was immediately re-housed elsewhere.

She is in her 5th home now and I'm confident if I posted back again here in a year or so I'd be posting that she's in her 6th house.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭coolbeans

You pay rent on council houses so bang goes your argument.

There's is widespread failure to pay council rents which directly affects Council's ability to provide sustainable social housing. I'm all for social housing but if you don't pay the already very reduced amount then fcuk ye. To compound the issue there's very little will or legal framework to get rid of the freeloaders so the tumour metastasises further and we get ****holes where nobody has any ownership or civic pride.

From 2019 so you can't blame Covid: "More than half the council’s 24,400 tenants are behind on their rent, with 20 per cent more than six months in arrears.

The council is owed more than €32.8 million by tenants, the largest sum ever owed to any local authority in unpaid rents, and an increase of more than €10 million over the last decade with €19.5 million owed in 2009.

However, until recently the council was unable to evict tenants who refused to pay. “Due to the absence of relevant court rules no applications for repossession could be made until June 2017,” the council said."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/first-dublin-city-council-social-housing-tenant-to-be-evicted-for-rent-arrears-1.4085923%3fmode=amp

I am aware of that, but nonetheless they should still be evicted. The moaners will be in the minority I am sure.

The issue is, as the council's are well aware, they can't make these useless c/nts homeless. I seen a single woman wreck not one, not two, not three, but FOUR council houses. And each time she got evicted, she was immediately re-housed elsewhere.

She is in her 5th home now and I'm confident if I posted back again here in a year or so I'd be posting that she's in her 6th house.. :rolleyes:

She could wreck 66 tax payer funded houses and Kitty Holland would still devote a piece to her in the Irish Times

• Advertisement

bubblypop wrote: »
    You do know there are private houses in those areas?
    If you wanted a thread about the poor Asian woman being thrown in the canal, then why didn't you start that thread?

There’s no private owned apartments in the Dolphins Barn block.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭NovemberWren

there really seems to be something quite odd about the voting system maybe? i could be totally wrong in this, - but always the local councillors seem to know how you voted; that, or else, the main parties decide among themselves, to give to each other, extra or bigger areas, to increase the votes of that other party; on the condition that they do not deal with the criminality of first party. i.e. are politicians in it for: themselves and their pals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Exactly as above. Worse even , not only are the houses largely inhabited by those essentially getting them for free( minimal rent paid from state support) but fraud is absolutely rife. You wouldn't believe the amount of ducking and diving that goes on. It's endemic.

I'd say it's less a case of "a few bad eggs" and more you might get the odd decent apple from a thoroughly rotten bushel.

Source : I live in a nearly entirely council owned street.
    Many council tenants are working people earning low incomes and not just idle scroungers milking the system.

Because crime has no negative effect on them.

They won't lose their job, lose their home or in fact, suffer financially. That's for starters

Then there's the simple reality that it's a certain type of mindset in the area. Naturally there's plenty that aren't criminals but the ones that are have a sociopath tendency. For example, they will steal from you without any issue or moral question. See the way they fly off the handle if they consider themselves somehow aggrieved though. The idea of empathy and society is lost on them.

chicorytip wrote: »
    Many council tenants are working people earning low incomes and not just idle scroungers milking the system.

While many are criminals

And many more are earning decent money but have recieved a cheap rent house and therefore won't move on from it.

Many more, earn through nixers to keep their incomes under limit.

Darndale may well have good people in it, in fact I know it does but too suggest there isn't a sizable number of scroungers and criminals within is delusional

• Registered Users Posts: 33 se25

Poverty me hole...If that was the case India's / Zimbabwe's poor would have a large number of criminals, which is not the case. When our " poverty stricken " criminals get rich they are still thuggish scum who flaunt their ill gotten gains in bling,cars ect. Poverty has little to do with it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭Madeoface

My PhD thesis was on this. It was titled 'Free Mickey money, **** personal responsibility and sure whatever you are having yourself.' it was a short thesis.

I met a pal many years ago in the barn house for a swift afternoon pint. I used to live in Rialto. I had a day off which coincided with dole day. Pub was stuffed. Approx 50% of the dosh straight back into the Exchequer....I found this somewhat comforting, the circularity of transfers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I have posted this before but its still relevant now.

I have a cousin, who was born the day before me and grew up about a kilometre away from me, in a slightly worse estate than mine.

She's a school dropout, teenage pregnancy, can barely read and write, has 4 kids now. The council gave her a house in a nice area about 5km away. Ever since then she has been complaining about the area. Everyone is a snob and a "poshy". She wants the council to move her back to a ****hole she grew up in.

The kids have absolutely no hope if they get moved back to her area. They are growing up in a working to middle class area where all of the friends will be expected to finish school, go to college or get a trade. But she wants them to grow up in an area where the absolute standards are about not getting arrested or keeping away from hard drugs.

There are just some people that cannot handle being around people of other social classes. She's only interested in the culture that she grew up in, which was ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭NovemberWren

While many are criminals

And many more are earning decent money but have recieved a cheap rent house and therefore won't move on from it.

Many more, earn through nixers to keep their incomes under limit.

Darndale may well have good people in it, in fact I know it does but too suggest there isn't a sizable number of scroungers and criminals within is delusional

agree about that second one: "earning decent money.... have received a cheap rent house, and therefore won't move on from it". This really does happen. And such people brag how hail fellow well met they are;- and they are! These same people then 'require' from the Council:- that any disadvantaged people are not to be put in 'their' estate. As do also the ones who buy their 'council' houses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭saabsaab

It is generally a small percentage that cause all the problems. 99% are fine. It is daft that one or two families can wreck a place and get away with it. These should be a policy of eviction for this continual criminal activity.

Where do they go some will say? Some form of direct provision perhaps or sent to another part of the country to cut their ties.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement