Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are council estates such high crime areas?

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

As a Social Democrats voter what do you think of their decision to express disappointment at the approval of 12 storey apartment blocks in Dublin?

https://twitter.com/socdems/status/1303361751497535493?s=21

The Far Left gets it power by keeping people poor and in this case homeless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Bowie wrote: »
    Also build and buy to rent companies, individuals, TD's etc. driving the private renter and buyer out of the market in some areas.

I demand to live in a 6 bedroom house on Aylesbury Road, even though I can't afford it. Those pesky evil landlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,649 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The government offers an education system to everyone in the country, there is no discrimination at the offset.

Everything is in place to educate all kids and provide them with the chance to move on in life and provide for themselves.

Most try their best to use what is provided for them. Obviously some people are smarter than others and will achieve more, but some waste the opportunities given to them or their kids and then try to blame everyone but themselves.

Kids aren't born scummy, they are taught it and learn it. Its hard for the government to legislate against these people.

I don't know about the big cities in the south, but in Derry it's the so-called poorer areas that have the money thrown at them to build facilities, parks etc. People in more 'affluent' areas can only dream about having a publicly funded play park built in their vicinity, and I'm sure they wouldn't burn it out or vandalize it the ways others do.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

NIMAN wrote: »
    The government offers an education system to everyone in the country, there is no discrimination at the offset.

Everything is in place to educate all kids and provide them with the chance to move on in life and provide for themselves.

Most try their best to use what is provided for them. Obviously some people are smarter than others and will achieve more, but some waste the opportunities given to them or their kids and then try to blame everyone but themselves.

Kids aren't born scummy, they are taught it and learn it. Its hard for the government to legislate against these people.

I don't know about the big cities in the south, but in Derry it's the so-called poorer areas that have the money thrown at them to build facilities, parks etc. People in more 'affluent' areas can only dream about having a publicly funded play park built in their vicinity, and I'm sure they wouldn't burn it out or vandalize it the ways others do.

This is it, the idea that little johnny commits crimes because they didnt have a playground or a swimming pool is nonsense. It has a lot more to do with little johnnys ma not giving a f*ck and his da not being in the picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

It is easy enough to see many council estates have higher crime and anti social activity.

Those who aren't able to manage their lives or not functional due to crime or drugs will in most cases not have the wherewithal to get a private house and will in most cases have to fall back on the public system or become homeless.

This is not saying that all in those estates are like this but will have a higher percentage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭NovemberWren

You pay rent on council houses so bang goes your argument.

If there is just one person E18.00 per week up to last year.

Then, 2021 increased to E25.00 per week.

Astoundingly cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod

This thread has lived its best life and shouldnt be rez'd.

If you have something current around this topic, please start a new thread.

Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement