Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Coastal and Secondary schools in Wexford

• 15-08-2020 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi,
    We live north of Enniscorthy and are thinking of moving more coastal to Blackwater or surrounds. My children and young (6, 5,3) but my concern is secondary schools in Wexford town. There doesn’t seem to be a chance that I’d get my kids in as it’s seems to be based or parent attending, family member attending or name down since birth. Neither myself or my husband are from Wexford originally. We have two boys and a girl so would like them to go to a mixed school. Is Kilmuckridge a good school? We are close to FCJ at the minute which has an excellent reputation so would like something similar.
    Wondering are we mad to be even considering moving if school will be an issue in the future.
    Any advice please and thanks ðŸ™

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Hi there.

Am mindful that there might be accusations of "educational snobbery" and I don't want this to be taken up that way, but basically, the Kilmuckridge school (Coláiste an Atha) is a Vocational College (what used to be called "The Tech"). Since you mention FCJ, I know you're close to Bunclody, so in broad terms, going to school in Kilmuckridge would be a bit like going to Bunclody VC instead of the FCJ.

Secondary schools in Wexford town seem difficult to get a place at all right. My brother and his wife bought a house about eight miles from the town, just off the New Line Road. They're in the same situation as you - neither parent attended a school in Wexford, no other ties to the area, etc.

Their eldest started secondary school last year - looked for a long time as though the only place that would take her would be Bridgetown VC, before she finally got a place at the Presentation in Wexford instead. Their son is about to start Sixth Class and they still don't know which school he'll be going to next year.

Make of this what you will, but that's the info I can give you anyway.

Advertisement