Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to safely hire a childminder?

Options
  • 15-08-2020 7:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭

Hi. I have an 18-month old daughter and I am looking to hire someone to mind her in their own home for one or two days per week. The problem is I don't know how to safely hire a minder.

I initially posted an ad on Gumtree and got loads of replies, but the more I thought about it, I became worried that it was a sort of gray market for child-minding with no Garda vetting. There's a service called mindme.ie aswell but I've no idea how active it is (it requires a paid subscription).

I would appreciate any advice on how to safely hire a childminder. I'm in Dublin if that helps. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Some childminders are garda vetted. Contact Childminding Ireland for a list of childminders on their list for your area. Childminders have to be garda vetted to be registered with Childminding Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

We used a local Facebook group and checked references thoroughly. I checked the references were who she said they were on Google, LinkedIn, etc too. So far so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

We used mindme.ie - subscription fee is very small. Always check references - call them, it’s essential. I met someone I really liked, her experience was great. When I called her references the person listed did not match the voice.

On a little further investigation I found out someone else she had worked for who stated she would not recommend her and had specifically asked her to remove her time with them from her cv. I was lucky to be able to find this out. Not trying to scare you but trying to show the importance of checking references

I did however find 2 amazing childminders through mind me.ie

We also printed out cards and put them in our local shops - we got calls and all were experienced, we needed someone who could drive so that ruled them out

Advertisement