Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dundrum Main St one way

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

coylemj wrote: »
    I just studied the old bus stop on Google Streetview and there is a feature of the street furniture which makes it an unsuitable place for a bus to stop if passengers are alighting from the centre doors. You can see that there is a barrier at the edge of the path to stop kids running out of the school and straight onto the road. If a bus pulled up parallel to the path, that barrier will prevent or, at best, impede people exiting via the centre doors.

https://goo.gl/maps/y9C4tqPiF55JMn256

There really should be two or three separate evenly spaced barriers with gaps in-between at that bus stop so that the bus fitted with middle doors can have the space to actually allow the bus to pull in & safely let off passengers at the bus stop. It should have been done a long time ago when the 75 was serving that stop with Dublin Bus. People like me would have thought that would have been a sensible solution to the problem back then. But talk of that even being materalized in reality never took place here as those moves didn't happen in the past unfortunately as the infrastructure being built here over the years was/is still very poor compared to other countries.

A country with poor transport infrastructure does look quite unattractive to the untrained eye. Ireland really had a painful past with that problem for several decades.

We were good at providing the basics in adequate transport infrastructure to any person who wanted to use it but if you were a citizen wanting to see more improvements in the system like integrated ticketing or underground railway/metro in places like Dublin. Forget it. People here in higher political circles here would imply towards us that because of a lack of money to support such infrastructure in our economy; you would need to go to other advanced countries to experience those things instead.

However; as things stand, due to huge investment from BusConnects recently from the NTA being made before covid. It is making more steps forward to drastically improve bus stop infrastructure in all cities including Dublin over the coming years in which is seen to be a good thing for society in general.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

ted1 wrote: »
    No? There’s CCTV all over the bus

CCTV dosen't have the ability to pick up on conversations

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

GT89 wrote: »
    CCTV dosen't have the ability to pick up on conversations

Of course he could say that and if he says it under oath he is committing perjury

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Bus stop is just through the lights at h
    Jamie Oliver's so pointless letting people out at the lights for them to change and then miss them .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Edgware wrote: »
    Then the driver is breaking the law and is liable for prosecution. The employer would also
    be justified in disciplining him/her.

I'd love to see this "law" - can you point me to it on the statute books?

Busses up and down the country particularly on rural roads that stop day in and day out for their passengers at any point of the road requested must be trembling in their boots

Possibly its a "regulation" and drivers are told that its a health and safety issue in built up areas. But certainly I doubt if its a "law"

• Advertisement

silver2020 wrote: »

Busses up and down the country particularly on rural roads that stop day in and day out for their passengers at any point of the road requested must be trembling in their boots

Possibly its a "regulation" and drivers are told that its a health and safety issue in built up areas. But certainly I doubt if its a "law"

See that's how it was till people started claiming for anything and everything....

I've been called and asked about someone walking into a pole, not on the bus but on the street and somehow this involves the company and me for some bizarre reason... Was a great laugh though been asked.

Have a look at S 86 Road Traffic Act 1961 and come back to us Rumpole

Have a look at S 86 Road Traffic Act 1961 and come back to us Rumpole
    Which was repealed by the "'Road Traffic Act 2002 (12/2002), s. 25(2), S.I. No. 12 of 2013.'"

I bet you feel silly now Lionel Hutz Edgware.

Goatstown road last night they removed all the barriers and cones exposing the new tyre shredder and smashing alloy kerbing with no warnings or poles.... Seen 2 engineers and asked them why they would allow such to take place and no cones to identify the raised kerbs.... Oh eh their fitting the poles.... There was nobody else there.

On the Dundrum part it's taking an extremely long time to implement the temporary measures and actually putting in the temporary poles and street furniture....

If anyone actually believe this is temporary they're in for a shock....

Cyclists going both ways, people just walking out and cars still going the wrong way.... Brilliant job council lads.... Someone is going to be killed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Why change Dundrum if it was not a problem. Traffic moved around Dundrum reasonably well, people could come and go and get on with their business. The 16 bus serves east Ballinteer and this service travels towards Rathfarnham and down the Grange Road. Unless you live close to Ballinteer Avenue the 75 and 14 services are difficult to access
    I used to go to Dundrum either to use the Main Street or the old centre but now it is such a hassle to get to Dundrum I just don`t bother and I`m sure I`m not the only one.
    Much easier to use Stillorgan now, free parking, more relaxed etc etc etc
    Just when Dundrum lower was starting to get on its feet, the council have killed it
    Well done councillers, I`m sure all the businesses are delighted with you.......not

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Goatstown road last night they removed all the barriers and cones exposing the new tyre shredder and smashing alloy kerbing with no warnings or poles.... Seen 2 engineers and asked them why they would allow such to take place and no cones to identify the raised kerbs.... Oh eh their fitting the poles.... There was nobody else there.
    Why would you hit the kerb ? Have you trouble keeping the car straight ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,719 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Drifter50 wrote: »
    Why change Dundrum if it was not a problem. Traffic moved around Dundrum reasonably well, people could come and go and get on with their business. The 16 bus serves east Ballinteer and this service travels towards Rathfarnham and down the Grange Road. Unless you live close to Ballinteer Avenue the 75 and 14 services are difficult to access
    I used to go to Dundrum either to use the Main Street or the old centre but now it is such a hassle to get to Dundrum I just don`t bother and I`m sure I`m not the only one.
    Much easier to use Stillorgan now, free parking, more relaxed etc etc etc
    Just when Dundrum lower was starting to get on its feet, the council have killed it
    Well done councillers, I`m sure all the businesses are delighted with you.......not

Surely whether the 14 and 75 are “difficult to access” depends on where you live? Just because they don’t apparently suit you personally doesn’t mean they aren’t useful.

They aren’t a million miles away from the northern end of Grange Road through the housing estates either.

But you seem to be blissfully unaware of the 161 and 175 bus routes that link Grange Road directly with Dundrum.

As a bus user there is a lot to complain about this scheme in Dundrum but the number of buses linking Ballinteer or Grange Road with Dundrum is not one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Blump

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2009/act/37/section/7/enacted/en/html

All stops on a route need to be approved as a condition of the licence from the NTA

Why would you hit the kerb ? Have you trouble keeping the car straight ?

Go and look at the road there is a path, grass verge, cycle lane and then a new kerb which is extremely sharp and high too outside the original cycle lane. At night with other vehicles coming across the wrong side due to the opposite side it would be extremely easy to hit it. Where do cars go when emergency services need to get by in traffic, vehicles can't move....

Go and look at the road there is a path, grass verge, cycle lane and then a new kerb which is extremely sharp and high too outside the original cycle lane. At night with other vehicles coming across the wrong side due to the opposite side it would be extremely easy to hit it. Where do cars go when emergency services need to get by in traffic, vehicles can't move....
    Is it not one way?

Is it not one way?

Indeed....

Cyclists will be allowed both ways....

Indeed....

Cyclists will be allowed both ways....

So why would other vehicles be going the wrong way ?

So why would other vehicles be going the wrong way ?

Because they are.... They obviously don't see them any signs or don't care.

Which was repealed by the "'Road Traffic Act 2002 (12/2002), s. 25(2), S.I. No. 12 of 2013.'"

I bet you feel silly now Lionel Hutz Edgware.
    Start at the 61 Act and work through up to 2019 including bye laws.
    p.s. I'm no longer Lionel Hutz. I now practice under the name Miguel Sanchez

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

Is it not one way?

I think confusion has been caused as the cycle lane kerb issue is on the Goatstown Road which is still two way. Dundrum Main Street is one way.

Start at the 61 Act and work through up to 2019 including bye laws.
    p.s. I'm no longer Lionel Hutz. I now practice under the name Miguel Sanchez
    That's a funny way of saying "I was completely wrong, and when I condescended to someone I was simply showing my own ignorance".

I guess you're as bad at acknowledging a mistake as you are at correcting people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I've got to agree. I was in slow traffic northbound just after the lights at the Goat pub and behind a wide-body Merc and didn't observe (effectively: could not see) the new curb and plastic bollard until I was 1.5m away. I had to swerve to avoid taking out the bollard and straddling the cycle-lane and road. I would have made it look quite pro all the same, almost intentional, I'm sure. :pac:

In fairness, the markings leading up to the new cycle-lane are missing, so that didn't help, but I'm going to predict the rapid destruction of those plastic bollards and mini-concrete kerbs on the Goatstown road as it's pretty tight.

Tarabuses wrote: »
    I think confusion has been caused as the cycle lane kerb issue is on the Goatstown Road which is still two way. Dundrum Main Street is one way.

But the main Street will be two way.... Two way for cyclists.

That's a funny way of saying "I was completely wrong, and when I condescended to someone I was simply showing my own ignorance".

I guess you're as bad at acknowledging a mistake as you are at correcting people.

I take it you havent followed the line of legislation Mo.

I've met many a cyclist now the wrong way.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Pythagorean

Those concrete barriers on the Goatstown Road could create a problem for cyclists. They often travel in groups, going fairly fast. If I, as a slower, older, cyclist holds them up, how are they going to safely overtake me ? I know from experience that this regularly happens to me. If a cyclist overtakes another, he is then outside the concrete curb and in the stream of traffic, and then how to get back inside the curb? The existing cycle lanes, while not perfect, at least functioned reasonably ok. These curbs are an example of safety paranoia gone mad. in fact it seems to me they create more dangers than they supposedly obviate.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Pythagorean

On the Dundrum part it's taking an extremely long time to implement the temporary measures and actually putting in the temporary poles and street furniture....

If anyone actually believe this is temporary they're in for a shock....

Cyclists going both ways, people just walking out and cars still going the wrong way.... Brilliant job council lads.... Someone is going to be killed

If it ain't broke don't fix it ..... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭markpb

Those concrete barriers on the Goatstown Road could create a problem for cyclists. They often travel in groups, going fairly fast. If I, as a slower, older, cyclist holds them up, how are they going to safely overtake me ? I know from experience that this regularly happens to me. If a cyclist overtakes another, he is then outside the concrete curb and in the stream of traffic, and then how to get back inside the curb? The existing cycle lanes, while not perfect, at least functioned reasonably ok. These curbs are an example of safety paranoia gone mad. in fact it seems to me they create more dangers than they supposedly obviate.

The older cycle lanes did exactly zero for safety. They offered no protection to people cycling in them. Paint is not protection. If it was, why do we have guard rails between motorway carriageways? There’s a reason why most cyclists in Dublin are young males and not women or children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭crisco10

Yeah, much prefer the thought of inconveniencing quicker cyclists (who are probably more road aware too) in order to encourage and protect more vulnerable cyclists like children.

And I say that as a commuter cyclist who bombs down the goatstown road in the morning.

Advertisement