Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How worried should I be about a management company?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

OP, aside from the obvious management issues with the block, have you actually lived in that immediate area before?

Thanks for this post. Good questions respectively posed.

I have not lived there. I did work that brought me to the area for some years, and I'm completely familiar with what you're saying. Blessington St is very dirty (you're not the first to remind me of that specifically). There is always someone outside that spar. Fairly sure I'm not gonna be drinking in the Berkeley.

I guess my attitude is that I'm not really all that keen on having a family any time soon. I'm not all that sensitive on street cleanliness. I can probably deal with a little bit of low level anti social behaviour. In short, I feel like I can get good value by living where other people can't or won't?

I would happily live in any of the other districts you described. I think they're all a good bit more expensive to be fair. But if you took the exact apartment with the exact view and supplanted it to Phibsborough or Drumcondra village I doubt I'd be able to afford it.

I guess area wise I feel the North Inner city is turning a corner. I might be wrong and an incoming recession might make me very wrong. My one big concern on the street is the hostel next door failed a fire inspection and was closed down. The building is listed but effectively condemned. So could become a construction side and potential light blocker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭wildwillow

You need to remember that all these issues will most likely be a problem when you come to sell.

Unless you are very sure that the area doesn't deteriorate further, you need to think of the difficulty of selling.

Historically, it hasn't improved even when other areas became more affluent. There used to be a neighbourly feel to the place thirty odd years ago but I doubt it's the case now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

errlloyd wrote: »
    I guess area wise I feel the North Inner city is turning a corner. I might be wrong and an incoming recession might make me very wrong.

I worked in that area for 4 years until earlier this year and I can tell you it's getting worse not getting better. Open dealing/injecting, people not just urinating on the street in broad daylight but also defecating. Some of the biggest criminals in Ireland live in the area, the place is at best "edgy".

Advertisement