Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English 3rd year JCT

• 15-08-2020 9:26pm
    Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭

If you could pick six things to concentrate on in third year what would they be ?
    We are now down to one CBA.
    Have done a novel. Ran through R and j during lockdown so might need to do it again.
    But type of group that they don't retain much. Perhaps some of that is my fault!??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Treppen

Bobtheman wrote: »
    If you could pick six things to concentrate on in third year what would they be ?
    Have done a novel. Ran through R and j during lockdown so might need to do it again.
    But type of group that they don't retain much. Perhaps some of that is my fault!??

I would just keep it in my head that CBAs might be put on hold.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Treppen wrote: »
    I would just keep it in my head that CBAs might be put on hold.

They have said one CBA is all that needs to be done .
    My students were pretty bad at the oral one. Ignored guidelines. I really wonder at the value of these for weak students.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

If they have trouble retaining information, I would just revise key moments from their studied texts. No need for the entire text with the new exam questions. For R&J, III.i would serve to answer almost all exam questions. Don't make your life too difficult if you have a tough group.

I spend a lot of time in 3rd year on the following:

- Timing (it's so tight - I give them one piece from their exam papers in class every week under exam conditions. If I had a group who were not inclined to do their homework I might do it even more often.)
    - Key moments from novels/plays
    - Poetry
    - How to deal with a comparative question (even though it's only ever appeared on one of the sample papers.)
    - Conversion questions (they have real trouble with these, although if I had a very weak group I might not bother.)
    - Reading (having marked the new paper, this is letting more students down than the actual writing. I really believe in the importance of me modelling reading, too.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Treppen

If they have trouble retaining information, I would just revise key moments from their studied texts. No need for the entire text with the new exam questions. For R&J, III.i would serve to answer almost all exam questions. Don't make your life too difficult if you have a tough group.

- Timing (it's so tight - I give them one piece from their exam papers in class every week under exam conditions. If I had a group who were not inclined to do their homework I might do it even more often.)
    - Poetry
    - How to deal with a comparative question (even though it's only ever appeared on one of the sample papers.)
    - Conversion questions (they have real trouble with these, although if I had a very weak group I might not bother.)
    - Reading (having marked the new paper, this is letting more students down than the actual writing. I really believe in the importance of me modelling reading, too.)

How do you mean 'Reading'. Is that like skimming for information? (I'm not an English teacher).

Any other thoughts having marked the exam? What stood out most for an A Student?

Speed and accuracy / ability to contextualise / discerning whether they need to read for just content, just style or content and style. None of that is easy for your average 15 year old under real time pressure.

The distinctions are exceptional. I don't think it's possible to teach for a distinction in the way you could teach for an A under the Junior Cert.

• Advertisement

- Poetry

Conversion Question? My group are mainly weak. About 50% didn't engage with online learning at all.

Conversion Question? My group are mainly weak. About 50% didn't engage with online learning at all.

Like the final question on the 2018 paper - where they needed to convert a poem into a piece of drama. Students have a lot of difficulty with them. But with a very weak group, you're probably not up to much focusing on that stuff.

Like the final question on the 2018 paper - where they needed to convert a poem into a piece of drama. Students have a lot of difficulty with them. But with a very weak group, you're probably not up to much focusing on that stuff.

Thought it might be something like that. Or you'd lapsed into mathematics! Thank you btw

Advertisement