Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-seed lawn?

Options
  • 15-08-2020 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

Hi folks
    I have a small lawn at the back of my house. When I dug it out originally I layed 2inch stone first and then the topsoil. However I didn't put in enough of topsoil and now the lawn is patchy. My question is can I just kill off the existing lawn with roundup and simply put on extra topsoil? Or is there a better way??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Walking the dog

Just add more topsoil if your growing the same grass again, Forget the roundup, it’s not good for the bees/environment etc, if you want to kill off the grass, I’d normally put a layer of cardboard down and then topsoil on top, the cardboard smothers weeds etc underneath.
    Not sure if this helps with answering

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭daludo

Just add more topsoil if your growing the same grass again, Forget the roundup, it’s not good for the bees/environment etc, if you want to kill off the grass, I’d normally put a layer of cardboard down and then topsoil on top, the cardboard smothers weeds etc underneath.
    Not sure if this helps with answering

Sounds a lot easier!! I'll try and attach some photos of the lawn here also.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭who what when

daludo wrote: »
    Hi folks
    I have a small lawn at the back of my house. When I dug it out originally I layed 2inch stone first and then the topsoil. However I didn't put in enough of topsoil and now the lawn is patchy. My question is can I just kill off the existing lawn with roundup and simply put on extra topsoil? Or is there a better way??

Its not uncommon for a new lawn to be patchy and weedy. You'll be surprised how regular mowing will thicken it up.

If you feel it still needs attention then look up overseeding.
    Your current lawn would have to be a complete shambles to warrant killing off any existing grass growth.

Its not uncommon for a new lawn to be patchy and weedy. You'll be surprised how regular mowing will thicken it up.

If you feel it still needs attention then look up overseeding.
    Your current lawn would have to be a complete shambles to warrant killing off any existing grass growth.
    This lawn is 10 years old. I know the areas that look poor have very little topsoil

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭monstermag

daludo wrote: »
    This lawn is 10 years old. I know the areas that look poor have very little topsoil

Ya overseeding is a great option and simple enough to do. Also you could try fertilising your grass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,760 ✭✭✭✭L1011

We've had good results with scattering new seed mixed with a little topsoil in to patchy areas; and then using some odiously stinky seaweed based conditioner on the lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

L1011 wrote: »
    We've had good results with scattering new seed mixed with a little topsoil in to patchy areas; and then using some odiously stinky seaweed based conditioner on the lot.

This is what I do, I have built up a few areas of lawn by a couple of inches using this method to condition the soil. I put my seaweed pellets down late September and that keeps the grass fed over winter, it does smell for the first week or so until it breaks down but will be healthy after a year or so.

For a quick result spread evergreen 3 in 1 fertiliser down and you will get a nice boost for the lawn but it will not last.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭legend99

I have a related issue. Just seeded in June - has completely grown - but as well as weeds which I can control in the longer term i have the wrong kind of grass gone in. Think it's called meadow grass and you can see it seeding constantly so I assume it will start taking over. As you can't control the wrong grass type using weed killer etc, am I banjaxed?

krissovo wrote: »
    This is what I do, I have built up a few areas of lawn by a couple of inches using this method to condition the soil. I put my seaweed pellets down late September and that keeps the grass fed over winter, it does smell for the first week or so until it breaks down but will be healthy after a year or so.

For a quick result spread evergreen 3 in 1 fertiliser down and you will get a nice boost for the lawn but it will not last.

Sounds like a plan, I'll go with that, thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 33,586 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Where do you get this seaweed conditioner, would like to give it a go this autumn.

• Advertisement
Advertisement