Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Ireland- a failure 99 years on?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,184 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

downcow wrote: »
    You did not provide any source other than a post on Twitter. Is that the level we are operating at. I guess you’ve had a look and realise the twitter posters is at his work

So it is up to to you to refute it.

You haven't I noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Tom you are in fantasyland again. The whole world except our Tom and Francie et al recognise an international border between Dundalk and Newry

You talk about closing the border as if it is some sort of wall. The British Army couldn't close the border when they had thousands manning its crossings yet you fantasise about it in the 21st Century. Here's an area of the no-border you propose to close:

536875.png

Oh, and in case you didn't notice, there's a big natural border in the form of a body-of-water between Britain and Ireland known as the the 'Irish Sea', it looks like this:

536872.png

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

You talk about closing the border as if it is some sort of wall. The British Army couldn't close the border when they had thousands manning its crossings yet you fantasise about it in the 21st Century. Here's an area of the no-border you propose to close:

536875.png

Oh, and in case you didn't notice, there's a big natural border in the form of a body-of-water between Britain and Ireland known as the the 'Irish Sea', it looks like this:

536872.png

Tom. You are simply deflecting from the issue. It is the same for both communities. Each has a border they don’t want to interrupt for political cultural etc reasons. Force is not the only way to decrease traffic. A simple statement from Roi government asking people to not cross the border between ni and Roi unless essential. But we all know they wouldn’t dare say it.

Tom. You are simply deflecting from the issue. It is the same for both communities. Each has a border they don’t want to interrupt for political cultural etc reasons. Force is not the only way to decrease traffic. A simple statement from Roi government asking people to not cross the border between ni and Roi unless essential. But we all know they wouldn’t dare say it.

Bull**** again.

Here are health officials and the Taoiseach saying it in September as they did throughout the crisis.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/people-asked-not-to-cross-border-as-donegal-prepares-for-level-3-restrictions-1.4364378

Bull**** again.

Here are health officials and the Taoiseach saying it in September as they did throughout the crisis.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/people-asked-not-to-cross-border-as-donegal-prepares-for-level-3-restrictions-1.4364378

Bull**** you.
    That’s the medical officers followed by some words from your prime minister saying basically the same as Arlene is saying today about minimising travel from gb and ni.
    You are just confirming the similarity

• Advertisement

Bull**** you.
    That’s the medical officers followed by some words from your prime minister saying basically the same as Arlene is saying today about minimising travel from gb and ni.
    You are just confirming the similarity

The Medical Officers are part of the government. They are an agency of the government, they work for the government.

Doesn't excuse the DUP anyhow. The idea that they would endanger their own because of some slight felt about a political defeat is bizarre.

The Medical Officers are part of the government. They are an agency of the government, they work for the government.

Doesn't excuse the DUP anyhow. The idea that they would endanger their own because of some slight felt about a political defeat is bizarre.

How bizarre. That both governments do it

How bizarre. That both governments do it

That doesn't excuse either.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

536875.png

536872.png

The problem is that the sh!tshow that SF and the DUP have made of governing the North has meant that to protect people closing the sea border isn’t enough. The virus is overwhelming Northern Ireland thanks to the incompetence of the NI Executive, including SF ministers, and has spread into the South as a result.

blanch152 wrote: »
    The problem is that the sh!tshow that SF and the DUP have made of governing the North has meant that to protect people closing the sea border isn’t enough. The virus is overwhelming Northern Ireland thanks to the incompetence of the NI Executive, including SF ministers, and has spread into the South as a result.

Correct. It has failed and is now a threat to the rest of the island in a time of crisis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

I understand there are at least 3 parties opposed to a all island approach

Does the TUV still qualify as a party? Though Jim Allister was Stephen Nolans bitch full time now?

Up to you to prove the source I provided wrong downcow.
    Your friend of a friend of a second cousin telling you something isn't worth a hill of beans.

So Francie. Let’s see if you can man up and accept your information was nonsense and mine was 100% correct.
    Some times you can duck and dive but this is fairly black and white

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-55406075

I understand there are at least 3 parties opposed to a all island approach

I took a wee bit of abuse again on here implying this was not true or that I was including jim alllister as one of the parties. Here is the evidence out now.
    You guys should take a look at who is feeding you your current news, not to mention your history

Does the TUV still qualify as a party? Though Jim Allister was Stephen Nolans bitch full time now?

I was not referring to tuv. alliance was the third party.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

The DUP going against this travel ban in the midst of covid for so little in return has to be one of the worst bits of political arithmetic I've seen. The health system has collapsed already. I feel very sorry for ordinary people up there. The future is bleak and to add further misery to it it's most likely going to be a no deal Brexit now.

smurgen wrote: »
    The DUP going against this travel ban in the midst of covid for so little in return has to be one of the worst bits of political arithmetic I've seen. The health system has collapsed already. I feel very sorry for ordinary people up there. The future is bleak and to add further misery to it it's most likely going to be a no deal Brexit now.

I have to pinch myself sometimes at the bigotry of the narrative regularly peddled on here.
    So we have all the unionist parties and the cross community alliance opposing a travel ban, while we have one extreme Republican Party ‘dismayed’ that there is no ban. And you suggest the dup is out of step.
    I can’t stand the dup but cross community decisions that are taken in ni are so often painted as dup decisions as a way of undermining decisions republicans don’t like.

So Francie. Let’s see if you can man up and accept your information was nonsense and mine was 100% correct.
    Some times you can duck and dive but this is fairly black and white

On the night that I posted that 'information' and tweet this was what was being reported.

https://twitter.com/Tupp_Ed/status/1340929353803304960

The difference between us is I back up what I say, and linked to the tweet perhaps if you did that occasionally you might have some credibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

I have to pinch myself sometimes at the bigotry of the narrative regularly peddled on here.
    So we have all the unionist parties and the cross community alliance opposing a travel ban, while we have one extreme Republican Party ‘dismayed’ that there is no ban. And you suggest the dup is out of step.
    I can’t stand the dup but cross community decisions that are taken in ni are so often painted as dup decisions as a way of undermining decisions republicans don’t like.

From what was said on RTE yesterday, Robin Swann was seeking legal advice on the ban. Swann was also complaining about the Republic banning flights into Dublin from UK without consulting the NI executive (because it put a lot more pressure on Belfast Airport).

If you read the BBC report linked above, it seems it was down to economics - airlines and ferries would suffer a financial loss. Other issues were that this new strain was already in NI and probably also in ROI so shutting down was too late anyway.

By asking that people not to travel suggests that the Executive were afraid to impose a ban because of potential legal action by airlines and ferries.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

jm08 wrote: »
    From what was said on RTE yesterday, Robin Swann was seeking legal advice on the ban. Swann was also complaining about the Republic banning flights into Dublin from UK without consulting the NI executive (because it put a lot more pressure on Belfast Airport).

If you read the BBC report linked above, it seems it was down to economics - airlines and ferries would suffer a financial loss. Other issues were that this new strain was already in NI and probably also in ROI so shutting down was too late anyway.

By asking that people not to travel suggests that the Executive were afraid to impose a ban because of potential legal action by airlines and ferries.

Not surprised the DUP don't won't the airports shut......
    https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/airport-donated-4000-to-ian-paisleys-constituency-association-36961086.html

jm08 wrote: »

Thank you JM08. francie is so disingenuous he is still trying to claim his twitter friend is a beeter source than bbc

• Advertisement

grayzer75 wrote: »

........and so it continues!

did Naomi Long also get a gift from the airport?

Thank you JM08. francie is so disingenuous he is still trying to claim his twitter friend is a beeter source than bbc

You presented NO source at the time.

It was reported by the BBC too that the 'DUP' was against a travel ban. Read the relevant entries here
    https://www.bbc.com/news/live/uk-northern-ireland-55393060/page/3

The Alliance are not against (so they say) a travel ban either. But didn't manage to vote for the SF motion...one wonders why.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

What's the argument about now?

The Alliance support a travel ban but voted against the SF motion. Bizarre position? Yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Whatever she did, she is getting a hammering on twitter for it. People don't understand how 40 countries, presumably on scientific advice, have banned fights from the UK. NI scientists seem to be out on their own on this one.

Can you explain how Wales and Scotland can impose a ban and NI won't?

It was reported by the BBC too that the 'DUP' was against a travel ban. Read the relevant entries here

The Alliance are not against (so they say) a travel ban either. But didn't manage to vote for the SF motion...one wonders why.

This is a classic of how Francie interprets history, whether is a few hours old or a few centuries old.
    Tbh it’s not even worth replying to as the evidence I have already presented is rock solid.

This is a classic of how Francie interprets history, whether is a few hours old or a few centuries old.
    Tbh it’s not even worth replying to as the evidence I have already presented is rock solid.

You PRESENTED nothing at the time..just your opinion.

That you guessed that Unionism would circle the wagons again, is no big achievement. If I was asked on Sunday how I thought Unionism would vote on Monday night, I would have guessed just like you did.

You PRESENTED nothing at the time..just your opinion.

That you guessed that Unionism would circle the wagons again, is no big achievement. If I was asked on Sunday how I thought Unionism would vote on Monday night, I would have guessed just like you did.

Francie. It’s wearing a bit thin now. Anyone can scroll back and see you said ththat dup were only party of 4 who opposed a FB travel ban

Patent nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Fairly simple, it shows once again the inability of Sinn Fein to bring people with them even when those people agree with what Sinn Fein is trying to do.

A lack of leadership, a lack of empathy, unbridled arrogance, whatever it is, Sinn Fein constantly run into this problem.

• Advertisement

Francie. It’s wearing a bit thin now. Anyone can scroll back and see you said ththat dup were only party of 4 who opposed a FB travel ban

Patent nonsense

And I gave the source of that information. Which was what was emerging from the meeting. The Alliance were for a travel ban on Sunday night downcow.

YOU gave NOTHING to back up what you guessed. An educated 'guess' (we all could have made to be fair) because you knew that Unionists would NEVER vote for this.

Simple.

Advertisement