Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Ireland- a failure 99 years on?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

We made slightly less a balls of it than the DUP have in the north. We should have closed down Ireland and eradicated the virus like they've done in Australia and NZ. Unfortunately too many Unionists in the north would never agree to making Ireland COVID free due to their hatred of the notion of Ireland wide cooperation, they'd rather die wrapped in a Union Flag

Anyone who doesn't see the how we could have benefited from having one authority on the island for this pandemic is either a fool, a liar, or some combination of the two.

Reading some of the other coronavirus threads on boards I wouldn't be so quick to hold Ireland up as the premier authority on how to fight the virus.So you should cut that waffle out immediately Tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,184 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Would be quite fitting if the failure was admitted to 100 years on and a border poll called. Is the present Dublin government brave enough to publicly state that on behalf of Irish people though?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EqfjHXjXcAAk0mD?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

We made slightly less a balls of it than the DUP have in the north. We should have closed down Ireland and eradicated the virus like they've done in Australia and NZ. Unfortunately too many Unionists in the north would never agree to making Ireland COVID free due to their hatred of the notion of Ireland wide cooperation, they'd rather die wrapped in a Union Flag

Anyone who doesn't see the how we could have benefited from having one authority on the island for this pandemic is either a fool, a liar, or some combination of the two.

We are not Australia or New Zealand, we are too dependent on supplies from Britain especially, but also Europe.

A British Isles lockdown might have worked, but ireland is too small to have sustained an island-only lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

RobMc59 wrote: »
    Reading some of the other coronavirus threads on boards I wouldn't be so quick to hold Ireland up as the premier authority on how to fight the virus.So you should cut that waffle out immediately Tom.

You need to go back and read what I wrote again. We have not done well.

blanch152 wrote: »
    We are not Australia or New Zealand, we are too dependent on supplies from Britain especially, but also Europe.

You don't catch the virus from supplies.
    A British Isles lockdown might have worked, but ireland is too small to have sustained an island-only lockdown.

How unsurprising it is that you take the hard-line hyper-nationalist DUP stance on a public health issue because the idea of one all Ireland authority horrifies you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

NI health service is not a failure.

I was very surprised to hear some expert on the radio this morning proclaiming how advanced and organised the health survive is in Northern Ireland when compared to our health service!

He was being interview by Mark Little on Newstalk before 10am. Can't remember his name, but he really knew his onions, and he couldn't make it clear enough as to how advanced, organised & structured the NHS is in Northern Ireland when compared to our health system!

Mark Little brought up about the call for help by their ambulance service for our ambulances to assist, to which he totally agreed but said isn't it great that we could help with their Covid crisis, but doesn't it also show how bad the virus had become there & how they're fighting it. (Vaccine already rolled out several weeks ago).

He's also stated that NI was a sovereign state within the UK, and as such was outside our grasp, or words to that affect...

All this has me scratching my head, as listening to various reports in the Irish media over the months I thought the NI health system was in a total mess!

Obviously not :cool:

Thank you hampsterchops. I appreciate you reporting that and being prepared to have your views challenged.
    Many posters on here (including me) could take a leaf out of your book.
    Very refreshing.

It isn't 'far more advanced', it might have been at one time but that's no longer the case. A two-tier system worse than ours in the south is developing, with a wait of up to four years to see an NHS consultant, only a week or two if you go private.

Public patients are waiting over a week to see a GP in the north while it's next day, or day after, here.

Tom says no one on here said the nhs was a mess. And then says it’s a mess LOl

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

You don't catch the virus from supplies.

How unsurprising it is that you take the hard-line hyper-nationalist DUP stance on a public health issue because the idea of one all Ireland authority horrifies you.

Just being practical.

The Dublin/London air route is one of the busiest in the world, can’t shut it down just like that, and expect everything to be fine. We need that link more than they do, that’s the unfortunate thing, no matter how much any of us wish it to be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Covid cases per 100k are close to 500 in Fermanagh/Omagh (the worst area). Also bad in mid-Ulster, East Antrim and Armagh.
    North Down is below 160 per 100k, Lisburn and Belfast not too bad in relative terms.

What explains these huge discrepancies?

Failure of political leadership on the ground? Lack of adherence to guidelines or enforcement of same? You would think the rural areas like Fermanagh would be lower risk. It cant be the fault of the health service personnel.

downcow wrote: »
    Tom says no one on here said the nhs was a mess. And then says it’s a mess LOl

It's underfunded but is fundamentally a good system. If I had my way there would only be one public health system in Ireland well funded and free at the point of access. There would be a lot of push-back against that down here though as there is a lot of money in 'private' healthcare.

I was born in the NHS DC and I am a very fine specimen of human being I'll have you know.

• Advertisement

Covid cases per 100k are close to 500 in Fermanagh/Omagh (the worst area). Also bad in mid-Ulster, East Antrim and Armagh.
    North Down is below 160 per 100k, Lisburn and Belfast not too bad in relative terms.

What explains these huge discrepancies?

Failure of political leadership on the ground? Lack of adherence to guidelines or enforcement of same? You would think the rural areas like Fermanagh would be lower risk. It cant be the fault of the health service personnel.

Google Edwin Poots, he had a theory on it that got blasted out of the water by people who actually knew what they were talking about and weren't bigots.

Google Edwin Poots, he had a theory on it that got blasted out of the water by people who actually knew what they were talking about and weren't bigots.

Poots is a dinosaur in same way as Conor Murphy etc but, as well as some nonsense, he also talked a lot of sense in that interview.
    As my da used to say ‘you can get knowledge from a fool’

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Poots is a dinosaur in same way as Conor Murphy etc but, as well as some nonsense, he also talked a lot of sense in that interview.
    As my da used to say ‘you can get knowledge from a fool’

Next leader of the DUP though

Next leader of the DUP though

Don’t think so. But they are on the way out anyhow

Don’t think so. But they are on the way out anyhow

Its him, full Purge rhetoric and smarminess

Not interested in Poots, and mentioning him is somewhat of a distraction.
    So what is the reason why Fermanagh Omagh and similar areas are so bad? Failure of local leadership? Lack of adherence to guidelines?

So what is the reason why Fermanagh Omagh and similar areas are so bad? Failure of local leadership? Lack of adherence to guidelines?

Poots had his own theory...look it up, he got torn a new one with expertise and actual data.

Was in Asda in Strabane last July, hardly any masks, no distancing wasnt a comfortable place to be , have heard similar about Dublin and Galway , lots of these people dont watch ,listen or read the news,

Poots had his own theory...look it up, he got torn a new one with expertise and actual data.

What did the data say?

What did the data say?

If you had any real interest you'd have googled it. Why don't you just have your dig and be done with it.

• Advertisement

If you had any real interest you'd have googled it. Why don't you just have your dig and be done with it.

I have an interest. I googled the damn data in the first place. Fermanagh and Derry have much higher rates than Ards and Castlereagh. Is that a failure of local political leadership? Or lack of adherence to guidelines? Fair questions. Your own area in Monaghan not faring too well either. Is that a lack of local political leadership? Or a failure to adhere to guidelines?

It's time Unionism faced up to the fact that these people never cared about them nor ever will.
    https://twitter.com/VillageMagIRE/status/1344420876989722625

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Connolly is a new shinner shill.

The hardliners in the spooks played the Adams faction like a fish. There were more fkn MI5 employees in the Felons Club on a Monday night than you'd meet in any club on Pall Mall :-)

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Connolly is a new shinner shill.

The hardliners in the spooks played the Adams faction like a fish. There were more fkn MI5 employees in the Felons Club on a Monday night than you'd meet in any club on Pall Mall :-)

Tired old ****e.

NI and the Irish there, knocked them for six Bonnie...they signed the GFA, something tired old Unionism now wants to pretend was a double cross. Where were all the 'spooks' and the superior Brits (your opinion)when they had to separate NI from the Union to get doing what they wanted to do?

Try staying in the real world...there is a border in the Irish Sea and integration of NI back into the island will roll on inexorably because the GFA is a roadmap to a UI. It will happen quicker now because Westminster never really cared and because Unionists keep walking into cul de sacs of unrequited love.

I have an interest. I googled the damn data in the first place. Fermanagh and Derry have much higher rates than Ards and Castlereagh. Is that a failure of local political leadership? Or lack of adherence to guidelines? Fair questions. Your own area in Monaghan not faring too well either. Is that a lack of local political leadership? Or a failure to adhere to guidelines?
    Fair questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Fair questions.

I know for the Fermanagh numbers, a very large cluster can be traced back to one pub opening on the down low and operating totally as normal.

Early on, Fermanagh had low case numbers and I suspect that led to a lot of complacency. The Ards numbers would've been much higher earlier during the outbreak, which I'd imagine led to higher levels of compliance later on, though that's purely speculative.

I really would have to question the sanity or integrity of anyone who would try spin this as an Orange Vs Green issue.

Fionn1952 wrote: »
    I know for the Fermanagh numbers, a very large cluster can be traced back to one pub opening on the down low and operating totally as normal.

Early on, Fermanagh had low case numbers and I suspect that led to a lot of complacency. The Ards numbers would've been much higher earlier during the outbreak, which I'd imagine led to higher levels of compliance later on, though that's purely speculative.

I really would have to question the sanity or integrity of anyone who would try spin this as an Orange Vs Green issue.

I would agree it’s not an orange and green issue but the sf politicians have engaged in some disgraceful behaviour, particularly around the story funeral, but also other stuff. It’s is obscene that no one is prosecuted yet a BLM protest was hammered and a whole raft of prosecutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

That's literally a load of crap. Seriously, how could you possibly come to that conclusion?

Yes, absolutely.
    No comparison

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

I would agree it’s not an orange and green issue but the sf politicians have engaged in some disgraceful behaviour, particularly around the story funeral, but also other stuff. It’s is obscene that no one is prosecuted yet a BLM protest was hammered and a whole raft of prosecutions.

By post code, East Belfast has recorded most Covid deaths in NI.

Advertisement