Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Ireland- a failure 99 years on?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

downcow wrote: »
    when we start to enjoy unfettered export into both the Eu and the uk.

You won't have unfettered access to Britain but you will to the rest of Ireland/EU.

Quite surprised to see you acknowledge that the Irish government and Nationalists have engineered the North into position you're happy with while the DUP would happily have you tumble out of the EU's trading arrangements.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

You won't have unfettered access to Britain but you will to the rest of Ireland/EU.

Quite surprised to see you acknowledge that the Irish government and Nationalists have engineered the North into position you're happy with while the DUP would happily have you tumble out of the EU's trading arrangements.

And a prosperous NI removes all the barriers to a UI for the partitionists on here aho really really want a UI if was wasn't for the money.

Downcow better look out so, the law of unintended consequences etc etc . :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

And a prosperous NI removes all the barriers to a UI for the partitionists on here aho really really want a UI if was wasn't for the money.

It's a tricky one alright. A prosperous NI is easier to integrate into the Republic but then why would a prosperous NI vote for unification?

jh79 wrote: »
    It's a tricky one alright. A prosperous NI is easier to integrate into the Republic but then why would a prosperous NI vote for unification?

To stay in the EU and remove the threat of Unionists taking them out every 4 years and to unleash themselves from an increasingly volatile and poverty stricken UK, which has already broken up because the Scots have seen what NI has gotten and jumped from the toxic ship?
    Because Ireland is equally as prosperous?

Any number of scenarios jh79, nothing happens in a vacuum.

But it isn't going to happen...already we are seeing the effects on NI if you read Sam McBride's twitter for instance. It's as expected - Brexit is death by a 1000 cuts rather than 10 or 20 a No Deal would have brought for the UK union.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

Your staring point is patronising, nasty and incorrect.
    Terms like ‘will I admit I am irish’ etc are contemptible
    You opening para here is rediculous. You state what is accepted accross the world as making someone british and then ask is that all I am relying on. It time you went and had a cold bath and thought about your approach.

Your description is exactly what makes an English person british and yes it is what makes me british.
    One correction though It is not because me and Tony Blair live in uk that we are british, it is because we were born british due mainly to our parents being british and being born in the uk.
    Ah well if you will still claim to be British in the event of a united Ireland then it is inferred you believe in a nation of British people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Not saying it's in Britain but that Dowcow being British is factually correct, definition is in my post.

no-one is stopping downcow from saying s/he is british. i could claim to be an alien if i wanted.

ittakestwo wrote: »
    Ah well if you will still claim to be British in the event of a united Ireland then it is inferred you believe in a nation of British people.

Another trip down a downcow/Unionist logic cul de sac.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Yes exactly.

And I often remind my unionist friends who opposed the gfa that we are very fortunate to have it.
    We would be in very shaky ground now without it. I would not trust some side deals to create a United ireland with Roi Eu and uk government.
    But we are rock solid and have it all in the hands of OWC due to gfa. All we have to do is ensure a good solid majority of all the people of owc continue to enjoy and appreciate the benifits of living in the U.K. that just about to get even easier when we start to enjoy unfettered export into both the Eu and the uk. Where would you establish your deport if you wanted to supply goods to uk, Roi and even into Europe mainland.

Thank god for the gfa.

Success levels of ni are just about to go through the roof.

You could change the thread title to ‘how have those wee bastards just managed to get even more successful? If they fell in the river they’d come out with a salmon in their pocket ‘

Haha. As they say here. Put the flags out!

Do tell us about these success levels? How?

How come it will only be successful from now on?

Is that you admitting it's not been successful up to this point?

The NI economy runs an annual deficit of about 25% . This is a shockingly hight deficit. For example the EU targets deficits of 3% or less for its its members. It has no chance of supporting itself and is being bailed out by the south east English tax payer. And this is just economics. Then look at how segregated the place is socially with 5.5 metre walls running through residential areas and how the two main parties encourage this segregation.... Come on Rory Best and his team as I better not use the I word. NI is a disaster. Funny and apt how the Titanic and Delereon car both came from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

You are missing what has happened Francie. Ni is in unique position. Unfettered exports to Roi Eu and UK. Nowhere else in the world will have this. This will creat a massive barrier to a UI. To enter a UI would mean giving up this unique position as the unfettered export to gb would be gone and and with it our Benidorm, our jobs, our UK support and or nhs. UI is more a pipe dream than ever

• Advertisement

Exactly what I meant in my most recent post but you have made it clearer and simpler.

The NI economy runs an annual deficit of about 25% . This is a shockingly hight deficit. For example the EU targets deficits of 3% or less for its its members. It has no chance of supporting itself and is being bailed out by the south east English tax payer. And this is just economics. Then look at how segregated the place is socially with 5.5 metre walls running through residential areas and how the two main parties encourage this segregation.... Come on Rory Best and his team as I better not use the I word. NI is a disaster. Funny and apt how the Titanic and Delereon car both came from it.

You’ve just reminded me what took us down this culled sac. Your claim that ni was a failure compared to Roi was evidence by 94% of kids in segregated education in ni.
    I asked you how you defined segregated education and you still haven’t answered

Of course you ducked it because you realised that the only kids in truly segregated education were the 50% attending faith schools of which at least 90% are RC.
    And the laugh is that a far higher percentage of schools in Roi are faith run and segregated.
    Another major own goal.
    And you’s don’t even think you have a problem.

You are missing what has happened Francie. Ni is in unique position. Unfettered exports to Roi Eu and UK. Nowhere else in the world will have this. This will creat a massive barrier to a UI. To enter a UI would mean giving up this unique position as the unfettered export to gb would be gone and and with it our Benidorm, our jobs, our UK support and or nhs. UI is more a pipe dream than ever

:D:D:D A belligerent Unionist salesman for an Irish sea border and Brexit.

Quick turnaround there. :)

So a UI will be a barrier to prosperity now and nothing to do with the "destruction" of your identity? Cool. Good to see your stance.

Loyal to the to the half-crown more than The Crown... who'd've thunk it...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

NI had unfettered access to ROI, EU and UK up to recently. What difference will it make now?

Yes exactly.

And I often remind my unionist friends who opposed the gfa that we are very fortunate to have it.
    We would be in very shaky ground now without it. I would not trust some side deals to create a United ireland with Roi Eu and uk government.
    But we are rock solid and have it all in the hands of OWC due to gfa. All we have to do is ensure a good solid majority of all the people of owc continue to enjoy and appreciate the benifits of living in the U.K. that just about to get even easier when we start to enjoy unfettered export into both the Eu and the uk. Where would you establish your deport if you wanted to supply goods to uk, Roi and even into Europe mainland.

Thank god for the gfa.

Success levels of ni are just about to go through the roof.

You could change the thread title to ‘how have those wee bastards just managed to get even more successful? If they fell in the river they’d come out with a salmon in their pocket ‘

Haha. As they say here. Put the flags out!

Any response?

You’ve just reminded me what took us down this culled sac. Your claim that ni was a failure compared to Roi was evidence by 94% of kids in segregated education in ni.
    I asked you how you defined segregated education and you still haven’t answered

Of course you ducked it because you realised that the only kids in truly segregated education were the 50% attending faith schools of which at least 90% are RC.
    And the laugh is that a far higher percentage of schools in Roi are faith run and segregated.
    Another major own goal.
    And you’s don’t even think you have a problem.

I did answer you and said I did not write this Wiki page on segregation in Northern Ireland. Again here is the link on the successfully segregared Northan Ireland

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Segregation_in_Northern_Ireland

There is no segregation problems in the rest of Ireland. Where are the 5.5 meter walls separating communities in the rest of Ireland?

:D:D:D A belligerent Unionist salesman for an Irish sea border and Brexit.

Quick turnaround there. :)

Oh I absolute don’t want it as money is not everything to me. I thought you would understand that. I would have liked all the checks at Newry or cork but the dup made a balls of that one.
    It would be silly of me though to not recognise the benifits of what we have got

So a UI will be a barrier to prosperity now and nothing to do with the "destruction" of your identity? Cool. Good to see your stance.

Loyal to the to the half-crown more than The Crown... who'd've thunk it...

See my previous post bonnie

jm08 wrote: »
    NI had unfettered access to ROI, EU and UK up to recently. What difference will it make now?

Can you really not see the difference?
    The 5th largest economy in the world is now out of the Eu (the 3rd biggest). OWC is the only place in the world which has unfettered excess to deliver into both. It’s incredible

• Advertisement

Any response?

I did not say it would only be successful going forward. I said it’s success would sore. I can’t see why you take that to be me admitting previous failure.
    It’s like Olof you were enjoying a sunny holiday in Spain and you put on the weather and they said temps were going to soar. Doesn’t mean they thought it was cold yesterday

The 5th largest economy in the world is now out of the Eu (the 3rd biggest). OWC is the only place in the world which has unfettered excess to deliver into both. It’s incredible

Must be why business was screaming for a rethink and why even you think the DUP are fecked.

You pivot about something fierce downcow, you'll get dizzy lad. :)

I did answer you and said I did not write this Wiki page on segregation in Northern Ireland. Again here is the link on the successfully segregared Northan Ireland

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Segregation_in_Northern_Ireland

There is no segregation problems in the rest of Ireland. Where are the 5.5 meter walls separating communities in the rest of Ireland?

You picked out segregated education as the best evidence. Haha then you realised it is far more segregated in education in your own country haha

The lady doth protest too much.

I did not say it would only be successful going forward. I said it’s success would sore

Painful is right!

I can’t see why you take that to be me admitting previous failure.
    It’s like Olof you were enjoying a sunny holiday in Spain and you put on the weather and they said temps were going to soar. Doesn’t mean they thought it was cold yesterday
    That's exactly what it's like. /s

You picked out segregated education as the best evidence. Haha then you realised it is far more segregated in education in your own country haha

No 5.5 metre walls going through residential areas is the best example of NI problems with segregation. The rest of Ireland is full of these? And Europe. This is perfect example of a normal successful place.

No 5.5 metre walls going through residential areas is the best example of NI problems with segregation. The rest of Ireland is full of these? And Europe. This is perfect example of a normal successful place.

I have never claimed we don’t have issues. Just ironic the a person living in the part of Europe with the most segregated education has a go at their neighbouring country for having segregated education lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

I have never claimed we don’t have issues. Just ironic the a person living in the part of Europe with the most segregated education has a go at their neighbouring country for having segregated education lol

*citation needed

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

But you always had that access. What is so different about it now?

• Advertisement

jm08 wrote: »
    But you always had that access. What is so different about it now?

What’s different is that you could have built a factory in any of 27 countries which would have had unfettered access to UK and the 26 Eu countries. Now only little ni has that privilege.
    You are correct that nothing has changed for us with regard to exporting goods but it has changed for everyone else.

Advertisement