Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Ireland- a failure 99 years on?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,167 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    As usual you are in such a rush to post you don't even bother reading the post.....

No, you didn't read mine...I was talking about the word 'partition'...you wanted to talk about 'partitionist'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

No, you didn't read mine...I was talking about the word 'partition'...you wanted to talk about 'partitionist'.

Nobody has difficulty with either word. You seem to have as you never stop wafflng about it.

The one thing Ireland needs before a United Ireland is for people to stop the racism based on religion. Something which you have a serious problem with

Nobody has difficulty with either word. You seem to have as you never stop wafflng about it.

Yes they do have a problem...a sense problem. If you are arguing that the island was never whole or united then you don't understand the word 'partition' to begin with.
    The one thing Ireland needs before a United Ireland is for people to stop the racism based on religion. Something which you have a serious problem with

What serious problems/racism have I expressed about different religions? I'm an atheist with a COI partner and children.

I hope you know that is a serious allegation and you NEED to back this one up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Also, the term is sectarianism, not racism. Protestant and/or Unionist people are the same race as Catholic and/or Nationalist people.

Fionn1952 wrote: »
    Also, the term is sectarianism, not racism. Protestant and/or Unionist people are the same race as Catholic and/or Nationalist people.

Sorry I didn't use the right term. It is not something I would ever get involved in so I don't know. You seem to be fully up to speed on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

blanch152 wrote: »
    There never was an Irish nation, it is a fable created by the Gaelic League and perpetuated ever since.

Your 'hot takes' just get worse and worse.

487683.png

• Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Yes, you are correct but it's still one section of society believing they are different than another section of society.

Sorry I didn't use the right term. It is not something I would ever get involved in so I don't know. You seem to be fully up to speed on it

Oh the old switcheroo? I know the correct use of the word, therefore I must BE that thing?! Jesus Christ, grow up.

I'd have a tough time with the aul sectarianism myself considering I'm from a mixed background- a fact I've been very open about the entire time I've been posting here.

If you've read or watched a single news piece on any historic violence in the North, you will have heard the term sectarianism. You can try your best to cover your embarrassment by deflecting, or you could just acknowledge you used the wrong term and move on like an adult.

Christ almighty, such low grade rubbish. I'll take Blanch arguing for the removal of nation states and nationality by creating a new nation state over this level of nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Five Eighth

The diehard Unionists would die of starvation rather than join a United Ireland.
    They’d rather commit suicide.
    A breed apart which becomes evident with the personality change and itchy feet come July.
    Hard for anyone who hasn’t lived or worked there to comprehend.
    The thread’s proposition is ‘Northern Ireland – a failure 99 years on?’ I think that hypothesis has been carried – even the unionist contributors cannot ignore the indisputable fact that Northern Ireland needs the transfer of £12b approx. per year from the British exchequer to keep afloat.
    Given the likely negative effects of Brexit and Covid-19 on the world economy and the very real likelihood of the London gravy train drying up, Northern Ireland, because of its very weak underling economic structure, is facing a massive economic shock. Many public and private sector jobs may be lost. Even if unionists, without a shilling in their pockets, prefer to march barefoot on the Queen’s highway rather than accept a united Ireland, the reality is that there is an increasing probability that there will be a majority in the North for unification within the foreseeable future. God help us in trying to accommodate those unionists who want to live on the island of Ireland but look across the Irish sea to, what for them, is the promised land. Maybe a few will follow Arlene Foster's stated intention of moving to Britain in the event of a united Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

The thread’s proposition is ‘Northern Ireland – a failure 99 years on?’ I think that hypothesis has been carried – even the unionist contributors cannot ignore the indisputable fact that Northern Ireland needs the transfer of £12b approx. per year from the British exchequer to keep afloat.
    Given the likely negative effects of Brexit and Covid-19 on the world economy and the very real likelihood of the London gravy train drying up, Northern Ireland, because of its very weak underling economic structure, is facing a massive economic shock. Many public and private sector jobs may be lost. Even if unionists, without a shilling in their pockets, prefer to march barefoot on the Queen’s highway rather than accept a united Ireland, the reality is that there is an increasing probability that there will be a majority in the North for unification within the foreseeable future. God help us in trying to accommodate those unionists who want to live on the island of Ireland but look across the Irish sea to, what for them, is the promised land. Maybe a few will follow Arlene Foster's stated intention of moving to Britain in the event of a united Ireland?

Hat's alright then. More social housing going up on the exchequer's old vuggin' slate in Britain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

As one of those Nordies, albeit one who has been contributing quite heavily to the Irish budget for years now, I'd love to find this offensive, but I can't! I got a great chuckle out of it.

Well as someone who grew up there, I'm taking your claims with a pinch of salt.

If you can find me a St Patrick's parade that was comparable to Drumcree or Twadell, I'd believe your post is anything but a blatant agenda ridden bit of nonsense.

In reality, heavy drinking is a significant part of many Orange parades and St Patrick's parades both. The Orange parade I had most experience was the one that used to travel up the Lisburn Road in Belfast. It was relatively non-contentious when compared to some, but still had a street full of fat blokes with their tops off, draped in union flags across their shoulders with their guts hanging out. The parade itself certainly has a degree of pageantry and music that I could see as appealing to kids, but by that evening you were wading through a sea of empty cheap lager tins to go anywhere on the Lisburn road. Fair play to the local council, who always had it cleaned up very well by the following morning.

This parade would probably, to my mind be most comparable to the absolute mayhem that descends upon the Holy Lands part of Belfast during Patrick's Day, which I'm sure you would try and paint as typical Patrick's Day activities, and point to some quaint rural village 12th parade as if it was typical of the Orange.

For the record, I couldn't care less what your religion is. I don't know too many Catholics heavily aligned with hardline Loyalism, but I wouldn't say it's impossible; I'm sure there is at least one dissident Republican out there today from a Protestant background. The conflating of religion with politics is less useful than ever today.

Ah yes, because it is totally legitimate to compare the feudalist system of government in Ireland before the British to modern day systems of government.......yet the same people who keep trying to make this comparison ALWAYS seem to have the, 'it was a different time' excuse ready to defend Britain's bloody colonisation of half the world, and their treatment of native populations.

You must get away from this. You are going back again to last century to quote Drumcree. You are doing exactly what you are wrongly accusing sheffwed of ie using extreme exampless to try and describe an event.
    Drumcree and Twadell are the most extreme examples of parading difficulties. I have shown many times here how this was a result of ira/sf tactic to agitate around parades - they have said it themselves I don’t know why I am even getting drawn into discussing more historic stuff. But can you imagine the situation if the ‘love ulster’ group had gone down on st Patrick’s day to block the parade rather than what they did - which also lead Dubliners to cause mayhem on the streets. Willie frazer blocking the st pats parade is equivalent to Twadell. So let’s stop using it as an example of an ordinary twelfth.
    Now you really don’t hide your hatred of diversity in your above post. Your biggest complaint is overweight people attending and some people daring to wrap themselves in their national flag (have you ever attended a st pats parade? Lol)
    Then you go on to have a go at sheffwed for (in your opinion) giving examples of rural 12ths. You again show your ignorance or unfairness or both. Over 90% of all twelfth parades are in rural towns and villages. And any poster here can go on to bbc iPlayer and see the entire Belfast twelfth parade being beamed live and see for themselves that your description does nothing but demonstrated how you see everything through you bigoted glasses.

I could post videos of my national flag being burnt at st pats parades in Belfast or racist banners on display at front of st pats parades. But I would regard that as unreasonable as it doesn’t reflect a normal st pats parade

Ush1 wrote: »
    What do you mean left to their own devices? The Normans were invited to Ireland by an Irish king.

There was no such thing as being left to your own devices, we had already had the vikings and others by that stage.

The Gaelic kings of the time did what other kings did, they used their daughters as political bartering tools to marry off to create alliances. They took enemies relatives as hostages or worse. Don't try to make out they were any different to overseas kings, they were men who craved power.

By the way, Irish kings had tried to take over oversea lands also:

https://www.libraryireland.com/SocialHistoryAncientIreland/I-III-2.php

Haha. Great post. This is how some on here also view the IRA campaign of sectarian intimidation through rosey spectacles

fr336 wrote: »
    The amount of people here who clearly havent visited the north in years perhaps decades yet claim to be an authority on it and describe belfast as a kip etc. Laughable. As an english guy with southern irish family i visited belfast for the first time last year and found it far friendlier and less pretentious than dublin. Oh and not a drug addict in sight.

Yes this is one of the shocks for me when I go south. It’s quite normal to see homeless people, be asked for money on the streets, and see many people spiced out of their heads. This is all very unusual to see in Belfast

mariaalice wrote: »
    I think it depends on what part of NI that is visited, to be honest, I was in NI about two weeks ago on a visit, a pleasant affluent coastal town it was a gorgeous day, teenagers pier jumping, people walking, cycling, eating ice cream beautiful scenery not a flag anywhere. It would be a very nice place to live.

That does not take from the fact that some areas of NI have a very unpleasant atmosphere they might not be dangerous or a kip but still unpleasant.

.....and which country in the world does not have what you refer to as ‘unpleasant’ areas? (an absolutely disgusting term for an area where the kids have no pier to jump off and can’t afford ice-cream)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

downcow wrote: »
    .....and which country in the world does not have what you refer to as ‘unpleasant’ areas? (an absolutely disgusting term for an area where the kids have no pier to jump off and can’t afford ice-cream)

Unpleasant as in an unpleasant atmosphere Flags everywhere including flags painted on to the footpath.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Why is the education system in Norn Iron so poor? You’d think with most of them working in useless State jobs that you could divert their brightest and best into the educational sector.

There/their, your/you’re, seen/saw - working out the correct usage seems to be like Egyptian hieroglyphics to the average Nordie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭6541

Why is the education system in Norn Iron so poor? You’d think with most of them working in useless State jobs that you could divert their brightest and best into the educational sector.

There/their, your/you’re, seen/saw - working out the correct usage seems to be like Egyptian hieroglyphics to the average Nordie.

I have the same problems !!!

You must get away from this. You are going back again to last century to quote Drumcree. You are doing exactly what you are wrongly accusing sheffwed of ie using extreme exampless to try and describe an event.
    Drumcree and Twadell are the most extreme examples of parading difficulties. I have shown many times here how this was a result of ira/sf tactic to agitate around parades - they have said it themselves I don’t know why I am even getting drawn into discussing more historic stuff. But can you imagine the situation if the ‘love ulster’ group had gone down on st Patrick’s day to block the parade rather than what they did - which also lead Dubliners to cause mayhem on the streets. Willie frazer blocking the st pats parade is equivalent to Twadell. So let’s stop using it as an example of an ordinary twelfth.
    Now you really don’t hide your hatred of diversity in your above post. Your biggest complaint is overweight people attending and some people daring to wrap themselves in their national flag (have you ever attended a st pats parade? Lol)
    Then you go on to have a go at sheffwed for (in your opinion) giving examples of rural 12ths. You again show your ignorance or unfairness or both. Over 90% of all twelfth parades are in rural towns and villages. And any poster here can go on to bbc iPlayer and see the entire Belfast twelfth parade being beamed live and see for themselves that your description does nothing but demonstrated how you see everything through you bigoted glasses.

I could post videos of my national flag being burnt at st pats parades in Belfast or racist banners on display at front of st pats parades. But I would regard that as unreasonable as it doesn’t reflect a normal st pats parade

While I won't get too bogged down on it Downcow, I could point out how regularly you refer back to the last century when you're looking for sticks to beat Republicans with. Either way, it isn't important, as I was specifically referring to Drumcree and Twadell atypical examples of the extreme. I'm not even touching your constant, 'it wasn't our fault, it was them pesky Republicans who made us attack the PSNI' excusing of what happened at those events.

Over 90% of 12th July parades may be rural, but in terms of attendance, the majority of attendees would experience something more akin to the one I had most experience with in Belfast, as those parades are MUCH more heavily attended than your, 'few people standing on the side of the road in Fivemiletown' type of parade. In your rush to accuse me of bigotry, you missed that I pointed out that I could see positives for kids (the music and pageantry), but your portrayal of the parading as a wonderful child friendly day isn't the full picture - I certainly wouldn't want my kids around lager louts, pissed to the gills, shouting sectarian slogans with their guts out, disrespecting their national flag by wearing it like a cape. I wouldn't take them to the Holy Lands in Belfast for St Patrick's day either for the record.

I'm also not going to get bogged down in the BBC footage of the 12th each year.....considering they always manage to broadcast without ever touching on ANY negatives. They've had years were every news source of note that covers NI was full of stories of trouble on the 12th, and their little round up show portraying this lovely ideal, quaint wee thing, showing those quite nice, albeit sparsely attended little rural parades.....with a distinct lack of a mention or footage from any of the more contentious parades, or the later in the day footage from any of the more heavily attended parades.

I think the way parading in general in the North is handled is pretty toxic on both sides, but don't believe for a second that the issues with the St Patrick's Day events reach the extremes that the 12th parading historically did. To be frank, I think the vast majority of Unionist complaints about St Patrick's Day are deflectionary whataboutery to try and avoid acknowledging the separate and unique issues that Orange parades have. The psychology of this isn't particularly complex, but probably a bit beyond the scope of the topic.

I can also fully acknowledge that many of the issues I had with the Orange marching season have largely been curtailed in recent years. I think this is fantastic, though given how much the Parades Commission have been fought tooth and nail over every single compromise, I would have question marks over how much credit the Orange Order should get for that, and wonder would it be back to square one without this oversight over parading.

I'll err on the side of cautious hope, and look forward to the day when future generations of my family can stand alongside yours at whatever parade or celebration of our shared history there is then.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

A lot of people have a difficulty with the word 'partition' around here. They do not understand the simple truth that in order to 'partition' something, it has to be together or whole first.

Ireland was only ever united and together and whole as part of the UK of Britain and Ireland.

As that was the case, then we have been partitioned from the other island. The British Isles were as one until they were partitioned by the creation of the Southern State. Reunification of the British Isles should be the aim of anyone looking to end partition and the label of partitionist should be reserved for those calling for a united Ireland independent of the UK.

As always, Francie, the limitations of Irish republicanism is that they fail to see other perspectives and they operate in an exclusionary manner, similar to the fascists of the 1930s.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Fritzbox

Ireland was only ever united and together and whole as part of the UK of Britain and Ireland.

Ireland was a unified political entity long before 1707.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Fritzbox wrote: »
    Ireland was a unified political entity long before 1707.

OK, if you want true accuracy, I can rephrase either as

"Ireland was only ever united and together and whole as part of the British Empire or as part of the UK of Britain and Ireland"

OR

"Ireland was only ever united and together under British rule"

With any of the three versions, the point remains.

As that was the case, then we have been partitioned from the other island. The British Isles were as one until they were partitioned by the creation of the Southern State. Reunification of the British Isles should be the aim of anyone looking to end partition and the label of partitionist should be reserved for those calling for a united Ireland independent of the UK.

As always, Francie, the limitations of Irish republicanism is that they fail to see other perspectives and they operate in an exclusionary manner, similar to the fascists of the 1930s.

Just wow.

I cannot believe you wrote and posted that nonsense.

I will leave you to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Fritzbox

OK, if you want true accuracy, I can rephrase either as

"Ireland was only ever united and together and whole as part of the British Empire or as part of the UK of Britain and Ireland"

OR

"Ireland was only ever united and together under British rule"

With any of the three versions, the point remains.

How old is the British Empire, 17th century? Ireland was united along time before that.

As far as any Norman or English king or prime minister was concerned the Island of Ireland has always been a unified political entity, ever since the Lordship of Ireland of 1171, the Kingdom of Ireland of 1542 and then the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland from 1801. Why don't you defer the British ruling elite's better judgement on the matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

But doesn't all that show that Northern Ireland has failed? That it's very divided even now?

While I won't get too bogged down on it Downcow, I could point out how regularly you refer back to the last century when you're looking for sticks to beat Republicans with. Either way, it isn't important, as I was specifically referring to Drumcree and Twadell atypical examples of the extreme. I'm not even touching your constant, 'it wasn't our fault, it was them pesky Republicans who made us attack the PSNI' excusing of what happened at those events.

Over 90% of 12th July parades may be rural, but in terms of attendance, the majority of attendees would experience something more akin to the one I had most experience with in Belfast, as those parades are MUCH more heavily attended than your, 'few people standing on the side of the road in Fivemiletown' type of parade. In your rush to accuse me of bigotry, you missed that I pointed out that I could see positives for kids (the music and pageantry), but your portrayal of the parading as a wonderful child friendly day isn't the full picture - I certainly wouldn't want my kids around lager louts, pissed to the gills, shouting sectarian slogans with their guts out, disrespecting their national flag by wearing it like a cape. I wouldn't take them to the Holy Lands in Belfast for St Patrick's day either for the record.

I'm also not going to get bogged down in the BBC footage of the 12th each year.....considering they always manage to broadcast without ever touching on ANY negatives. They've had years were every news source of note that covers NI was full of stories of trouble on the 12th, and their little round up show portraying this lovely ideal, quaint wee thing, showing those quite nice, albeit sparsely attended little rural parades.....with a distinct lack of a mention or footage from any of the more contentious parades, or the later in the day footage from any of the more heavily attended parades.

I think the way parading in general in the North is handled is pretty toxic on both sides, but don't believe for a second that the issues with the St Patrick's Day events reach the extremes that the 12th parading historically did. To be frank, I think the vast majority of Unionist complaints about St Patrick's Day are deflectionary whataboutery to try and avoid acknowledging the separate and unique issues that Orange parades have. The psychology of this isn't particularly complex, but probably a bit beyond the scope of the topic.

I can also fully acknowledge that many of the issues I had with the Orange marching season have largely been curtailed in recent years. I think this is fantastic, though given how much the Parades Commission have been fought tooth and nail over every single compromise, I would have question marks over how much credit the Orange Order should get for that, and wonder would it be back to square one without this oversight over parading.

I'll err on the side of cautious hope, and look forward to the day when future generations of my family can stand alongside yours at whatever parade or celebration of our shared history there is then.

So factually incorrect it is unbelievable. You think more attendees at Belfast 12th than all the rest put together. Belfast isn’t even the biggest single 12th Sure don’t let the truth get in the way of a good story.

...... and those Bbc are the problem they won’t report anything negative about the 12th. Lol

So factually incorrect it is unbelievable. You think more attendees at Belfast 12th than all the rest put together. Belfast isn’t even the biggest single 12th Sure don’t let the truth get in the way of a good story.

...... and those Bbc are the problem they won’t report anything negative about the 12th. Lol

Try reading it again, Downcow.

I very clearly stated that large urban parades (plural, you can check for yourself) would have the majority attendance, even though the smaller rural parades may be more numerous. COLLECTIVELY, the large urban parades would make up the majority of attendees. I stated that the majority of attendees would have an experience more LIKE my experience with the Belfast parading than would have the quaint rural experience. Absolutely nowhere have I stated anything about the Belfast parade being the largest.

Once more in your rush to be offended, you haven't even attempted to properly read the post, but don't let the truth get in the way of your victim complex.

And my critique of the BBC reporting on the 12th is far from unique.

Try reading it again, Downcow.

I very clearly stated that large urban parades (plural, you can check for yourself) would have the majority attendance, even though the smaller rural parades may be more numerous. COLLECTIVELY, the large urban parades would make up the majority of attendees. I stated that the majority of attendees would have an experience more LIKE my experience with the Belfast parading than would have the quaint rural experience. Absolutely nowhere have I stated anything about the Belfast parade being the largest.

Once more in your rush to be offended, you haven't even attempted to properly read the post, but don't let the truth get in the way of your victim complex.

And my critique of the BBC reporting on the 12th is far from unique.

You can not deny that you are stating that your experience (where you were offended by fat people and union flags) is the norm and that it is minority that attend parades in rural towns. This is factually incorrect. Or maybe you can supply the data that leads you to this conclusion?

I don’t know why you guys are so infatuated by the 12th.
    I couldn’t care less about fleadhs or gaa games. Of course the rubbish left after fleadhs and the difficulty getting through town is a minor inconvenience. The inconsiderate and illegal parking at local gaa games is a health risk to kids on bikes etc.
    But tbh I am not even overly irritated by this stuff, or for that matter even the burning of my flag at st Patrick’s parades. I don’t care about the offensive behaviour in Belfast or IRA bands parading in predominantly Protestant towns on st Patrick’s day.
    I certainly wouldnt dream of going along to protest. I’m actually only bothering to mention this stuff cause you guys go on and on about the 12th.
    Fionn latest complaint here is very humorous ie too many fat people attending lol and people daring to have their own national flag with them in their own capital city lol

I wonder what onlookers from any other country would make of this.

Simple fact is that some of you guys just hate that we still exist. It’s our existence that is offensive to you

I couldn’t care less about fleadhs or gaa games. Of course the rubbish left after fleadhs and the difficulty getting through town is a minor inconvenience. The inconsiderate and illegal parking at local gaa games is a health risk to kids on bikes etc.
    But tbh I am not even overly irritated by this stuff, or for that matter even the burning of my flag at st Patrick’s parades. I don’t care about the offensive behaviour in Belfast or IRA bands parading in predominantly Protestant towns on st Patrick’s day.
    I certainly wouldnt dream of going along to protest. I’m actually only bothering to mention this stuff cause you guys go on and on about the 12th.
    Fionn latest complaint here is very humorous ie too many fat people attending lol and people daring to have their own national flag with them in their own capital city lol

Simple fact is that some of you guys just hate that we still exist. It’s our existence that is offensive to you

Ignorance. They have zero idea what goes on. They thiink is a group of crazy orange men marching around and distroying peace and harmony. Then it all disappears till the following year

Believe me, I have talked to people and this is what they think.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Definately not infatuated by it. It is designed to antagonise close to half the population of Northern Ireland. Do you seriously think that building bonfires to burn effigy's and flags of half the population is normal and wouldn't antagonise a saint?

I don't think there is a huge problem with the marching, except that it goes on for a couple of months of the year, unlike St. Patrick's Day which is one day.

I couldn’t care less about fleadhs or gaa games. Of course the rubbish left after fleadhs and the difficulty getting through town is a minor inconvenience.

How often are there fleadhs?

The inconsiderate and illegal parking at local gaa games is a health risk to kids on bikes etc.
    Do soccer and rugby games cause similar inconveniences to GAA games. (I've heard for example, that the residents around Ravenhill are frequently on the warpath about parking when there is a rugby game on). Surely all these inconveniences for sport even themselves out a bit?

There are thousands of St Patrick's Day Parades around the world which have participants and natives of loads of different countries taking part. I've never seen any flag burned at a St. Patrick's Day Parade.

My understanding is that the only country in the world where the official parades are not allowed fly a tricolour is in Northern Ireland. Maybe that has something to do with why some people are angry at the other's flag

The only reason why we go on about the 12th night, is the bonfires. They are a disgrace in this day and age.

I'd put any money on that there are more Union flags in Northern Ireland than there are in the rest of the GB with a population of 50+ million.

I think that maybe you should show more respect for the Union Flag because it is generally in tatters hanging off lamp posts.

I''m sure they are disappointed that they can't have the same craic as you guys every year in their country as it would be so much better fun than the St. Patrick's Day Parade and festivities they have to put up with now!

Its your behaviour that can be very offensive, DC. As good christians understand, hate the sin, and love the sinner.

Advertisement