Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Ireland- a failure 99 years on?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,528 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

I reckon we could tap our "EU masters" for some help in this regard.

I mean, reunification is peace project at heart.

Just stomping your feet and shouting"5 BILLION" is not really a solution or a substantive discussion point. We get it, you don't understand how national debt works.

Lol! I don’t understand how national debt works yet you see no problem in taking on a 5 billion recurring expenditure that might get less over time but has an equal chance of not getting less.
    Your cracked buddy.

tom1ie wrote: »
    Who pays for these infrastructure projects that haven’t been included in the rep Ireland’s transport projects going forward?
    Tax payers who are south of the border at the moment yeah?

This has already been answered. You do realise NI is made up of taxpayers too. You are either clueless or are what you have been accused of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

Westminster does not subsidise Northern Ireland. Every country has transfers of wealth between different areas, with centres of high wealth and productivity, shouldering a greater part of the national bill than others. The idea of NI being a region 'supported' is nonsense. It is an integral part of the UK. The UK supports itself in it entirety.

This is absolute delusional stuff. NI runs an annual deficit of over €10bn, and NI is being supported by the rest of the UK

And with the rise of English nationalism this maybe a worry for unionists. Why would people who see themselves as English want English tax payers money going to Ireland and not back into England.

maccored wrote: »
    here we go again with waffle of costs, social welfare blah blah feckity blah

FIRST THE COUNTRY NDEEDS TO DISCUSS IT

finance etc will be part of that discussion

Surely wether we can afford it or not is THE most important issue?

Your cracked buddy.

Aw, at least your sign off makes sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Is it fair to expect unionists to row in when belligerent republicans are what dragged NI through hell, unable to accept the crumble of the cookie in 1922 ? Why should unionists be expected to behave better a hundred years later ?

The imperfect solution of 1922 was the least imperfect way out of a a particular situation. The ROI maintaining its claim over the 6, and belligerent republicans in the there, are what has stalled NI from being a functional part of the UK and a normal society. People north and south could have chosen to make it work. They chose continued strife. Until that strife is settled, moving it from one jurisdiction to another does NOTHING to resolve it.

they chose continued strife? I think that statement alone is enough for me to ignore you if you think nationalists, catholics or republicans had any kind of a choice. Real insult to people who had to grow up during that ****e

ittakestwo wrote: »
    This is absolute delusional stuff. NI runs an annual deficit of over €10bn, and NI is being supported by the rest of the UK

And with the rise of English nationalism this maybe a worry for unionists. Why would people who see themselves as English want English tax payers money going to Ireland and not back into England.

There is some absolute loons in this thread that are letting their ideals blind them.
    Common sense shows we can’t afford to take NI onto our budget sheet.

Surely wether we can afford it or not is THE most important issue?

which is why there needs to be a nationwide discussion on the subject. Money can be generated - but we need to figure out how first. whinging that it wont work because theres no money is a bit simple minded. there'd be fewer inventions and probably no creativeness in the world if that was the way people thought

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I think it potentially gets worse.
    I think at a time when we are massively in debt we are talking about taking on more debt to satisfy nationalism.
    Don’t get me wrong I love the IDEA of a United ireland but the economics just don’t stack up.
    Who loses out to pay for this?

We're ALWAYS in debt.

Who loses out? DO I have to pick a specific person?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,167 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Lol! I don’t understand how national debt works yet you see no problem in taking on a 5 billion recurring expenditure that might get less over time but has an equal chance of not getting less.
    Your cracked buddy.

Put it this way, the UK national debt is 1.78 trillion or 85% of GDP yet it keeps going. Servicing the debt is the issue, that amounts to 4% of GDP and on it goes. Sovereign debt, look it up.

• Advertisement

Who pays for these infrastructure projects that haven’t been included in the rep Ireland’s transport projects going forward?
    Tax payers who are south of the border at the moment yeah?

Are all of our budgets set in stone and unchangeable forever more?

I'm not really convinced that you have any notion about how these things work.

This has already been answered. You do realise NI is made up of taxpayers too. You are either clueless or are what you have been accused of.

Taxpayers that a large percentage work for the public service that is supported by the uk government. That’s the point. Who fills the 5 billion black hole when the uk don’t supply that money. All of a sudden your tax payers aren’t getting paid.
    I mean throw around the insults all you want but your not fooling anyone.

Aw, at least your sign off makes sense.

What?

Taxpayers that a large percentage work for the public service that is supported by the uk government. That’s the point. Who fills the 5 billion black hole when the uk don’t supply that money. All of a sudden your tax payers aren’t getting paid.
    I mean throw around the insults all you want but your not fooling anyone.

there would never have been a peace process if people with your mindset was involved. it would have been gauged as impossible

There is some absolute loons in this thread that are letting their ideals blind them.

And they're not who you think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Beltby

5 billion now. A lot less once reforms are introduced. Do you think the North will have 30% of its workforce working in the public sector forever, for example, in the event of a UI?

Are all of our budgets set in stone and unchangeable forever more?

I'm not really convinced that you have any notion about how these things work.

Explain it to me then. I’m obviously not seeing something you see so I’d appreciate if you could tell me how we afford this.

Beltby wrote: »
    5 billion now. A lot less once reforms are introduced. Do you think the North will have 30% of its workforce working in the public sector forever, for example, in the event of a UI?

Yes. Everything is set and stone and Nothing can change ever. That's how it works.

Yes. Everything is set and stone and Nothing can change ever. That's how it works.

the people who come up with the excuses of how it wont work, basically just dont want it to work.

Beltby wrote: »

How long will it take to get that 5bill yearly cost down?
    What is our track record like in reducing civil service jobs in our own area?
    If we reduce civil service jobs in the north what does these people do then if there are not enough private sector jobs available? Go on the dole? Who pays for that?

• Advertisement

Explain it to me then. I’m obviously not seeing something you see so I’d appreciate if you could tell me how we afford this.

:rolleyes:

the people who come up with the excuses of how it wont work, basically just dont want it to work.

We spend more time in these threads chasing the obfuscation that we never end up talking about anything.

So it seems they're doing their job.

No.
    They have common sense.
    Explain to me who pays the 5 billion yearly recurring charge?

If we reduce civil service jobs in the north what does these people do then if there are not enough private sector jobs available? Go on the dole? Who pays for that?

You do.

We're gonna take all of your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,167 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

No.
    They have common sense.
    Explain to me who pays the 5 billion yearly recurring charge?

You are just gliding past the answers and keep asking the question. :):)

:rolleyes:

? Please. Explain it to me instead of making faces. You seem to know it all. Your clearly an economist with a well thought out plan so lay it out there.

You are just gliding past the answers and keep asking the question. :):)

What haven’t I answered. I am all for a unified Ireland if someone can show me how we pay for it.

You do.

We're gonna take all of your money.

Is that a serious answer yeah? Is that the sum of your argument?

What?

If English is your first language you'll understand you just called yourself cracked. I thought it self aware and insightful.

• Advertisement

Can someone answer this and answer it properly. If not I’ll presume your all talking bollox and haven’t really thought this through.

Advertisement