Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Ireland- a failure 99 years on?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

downcow wrote: »
    Well it is certainly a bigger success than the ROI.
    We have grown our minority population to almost 50% , while ROI have decimated theirs to about 3%. I would celebrate the former as I like diversity but I guess you may celebrate the later as it gets the huns out.
    We have the NHS and what I hear from friends in ROI, they would die for it. Indeed I know some who have tentative links to NI and can use those links to get their free medicines etc.
    We are part of a 70 million nation who are supporting is through the difficulties brought on by your mates engaging in a sectarian onslaught against us.
    We have british nationality
    Our uk tv is of the quality that we don’t need to watch our neighbours crappy tv in Roi
    We have potentially the best football league in the world In the uk and we don’t need to support teams in a country we hate to get anything worth watching.
    We are a wonderfully diverse nation, not perfect, but the diversity from our capital city in south of England to beautiful rural areas in north of Scotland is very special.
    We have a serving monarch to put most heads of state to shame.
    We have an incredible military history - I believe undefeated
    We love the language we speak. We don’t aspire to a language that most of us can’t speak lol
    I am now getting bored. I could write pages on our success.

Give us a wee outline of ROI success.?
    No tv worth watching
    No football worth watching
    Never won a war - in fact a shameful history of allowing uk to fight your battles for you
    No free nhs
    Druggies and homeless on the streets
    Politicians with brown envelopes
    Terrible recent history of state/church abuse of child
    Horrendous recent history of treatment of women
    Disgusting history of decrimination of Protestants
    Ongoing partisan bigotry against unionists in your neighbouring country.
    I am getting bored again but could go on and on

Imported TV and a bloody shameful military history. Some set of 'wins'.
    I think I gave you a wee list bonnie. Unless it didn’t post correctly
    I am now waiting for your Roi list

Evolution rather than creationism.
    Belief there is a climate crisis.
    Equality for everyone regardless of sexual orientation.
    Religious freedom.
    Self governing.

Instead of being the UK's shame the occupied portion of Ulster would be a free and equal part of a country.
    No protestant will have to fight for a vote or democracy.
    No longer beholden to a lurid monarchy, (see Prince Andrew).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Beltby

timthumbni wrote: »
    I’m not a loyalist so you won’t find me standing up for some loyalist paedo. You ,on the other hand.........

He was a member of the orange order. You know those marches you go to every year?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Unlike most on here I live and have lived in Northern Ireland my whole life.

How you consider a country a success is very subjective anyway.

I will tell you how I do it though.

I live a comfortable life. I don’t have hunger nor thirst. I get on well with most people. Mostly from a nationalist background. My boss is from there yet you would think that by some on here that catholic’s are out picking cotton in Protestant fields.

Norn Iron is a pretty great place to live. I’m happy. Most others are too. That’s my way of telling a country’s success. I’m sure youse in the republic are the same. I don’t really care though.

We get handouts from the English but then again didn’t the republic have to get a handout during the banking crisis to keep the lights on.

Beltby wrote: »
    He was a member of the orange order. You know those marches you go to every year?

Wouldn’t send my kids to him every Sunday though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

What a disgusting thing to say. I think the loyalist terrorists were every bit as bad as the Irish republican terrorists. Your comment is about as welcome as gerrys brother at a babysitting conference.

Exactly, both as bad as eachother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

We have grown our minority population to almost 50% , while ROI have decimated theirs to about 3%. I would celebrate the former as I like diversity but I guess you may celebrate the later as it gets the huns out.
    If its diversity you are after, 17.3% of the population were born outside Ireland in the last census. That compares to 14% in the UK. Lets leave religion out of it please as its no indicator of diversity, particularly in Northern Ireland.

We have the NHS and what I hear from friends in ROI, they would die for it. Indeed I know some who have tentative links to NI and can use those links to get their free medicines etc.

Would this be the NHS who had to borrow Ambulance crews from the south last summer?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-30943168.html

One thing that Covid has shown up and that is that the NHS is no better than the HSE. Both were put to shame by most health services in Europe.

We are part of a 70 million nation who are supporting is through the difficulties brought on by your mates engaging in a sectarian onslaught against us.
    We have british nationality
    Meaningless. British nationality is no more valuable than Irish or German. Indeed, when some British subjects got into dodgy situations in other countries, they were happy to dig up their Irish grandparent to use the Irish passport to save their skin.

Our uk tv is of the quality that we don’t need to watch our neighbours crappy tv in Roi
    And some of their most iconic programmes were written and performed by Irish people. Derry Girls, Normal People etc., continues that tradition.

We have potentially the best football league in the world In the uk and we don’t need to support teams in a country we hate to get anything worth watching.
    I didn't realise that the Irish League was so popular. What channel is it on?

We are a wonderfully diverse nation, not perfect, but the diversity from our capital city in south of England to beautiful rural areas in north of Scotland is very special.
    We're talking about Northern Ireland here, not Scotland, England or Wales.

We have a serving monarch to put most heads of state to shame.
    She wouldn't put to shame any of our most recent heads of State - Michael D. Higgins, Mary McAleese or Mary Robinson.

We have an incredible military history - I believe undefeated
    Did you win the Irish War of Independence? News to me. Maybe the reason you didn't win that one was because you didn't have the yanks, Russians, French, Ottomons etc. to save your asses for you.

We love the language we speak. We don’t aspire to a language that most of us can’t speak lol
    What is so beautiful about the English language? French and Italian are far more beautiful languages. The only thing about English is that a lot of people speak it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

A lot of that seems to be you claiming things throughout the UK or claiming successes by virtue of an accident of geography or mere projection.

Anyway, I'll be clearer, how has Northern Ireland and specifically Northern Ireland been successful?

You just don’t get it. Ni is part of the uk. It’s like me asking you how Dundalk is a success.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Keep telling yourself it’s a failure if that makes you feel good. I don’t hear any ni folk saying it’s a failure and I’d rather join with the ROI system which is so sectarian and partisan that it doesn’t even know it is - which is what is really worrying

Come on, heaps of people north of the border want a United Ireland! You know that!

But I think southerners would genuinely be very interested in why people might feel NI has not been a failure?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,176 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

You just don’t get it. Ni is part of the uk. It’s like me asking you how Dundalk is a success.

It's the centenary of NI...not the UK. Pretty sad to have to do what you are doing to find something to celebrate.

Bowie wrote: »
    Imported TV and a bloody shameful military history. Some set of 'wins'.

Evolution rather than creationism.
    Belief there is a climate crisis.
    Equality for everyone regardless of sexual orientation.
    Religious freedom.
    Self governing.

Instead of being the UK's shame the occupied portion of Ulster would be a free and equal part of a country.
    No protestant will have to fight for a vote or democracy.
    No longer beholden to a lurid monarchy, (see Prince Andrew).

That is pathetic. Tell me which part of Europe has not all of the above. But I guess when you were reared in dark catholic Ireland, those would seem like successes. The rest of Europe take those for granted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Is it?

I don't get what exactly?

It shouldn't be so hard for such a red, white and blue beligerent son of Ulster to tell us just how NI has been a success for the last century?

Come on, you have us on tenterhooks here.

Is it?

It shouldn't be so hard for such a red, white and blue beligerent son of Ulster to tell us just how NI has been a success for the last century?

Has the republic been a great success? A nation of mass hidden child abuse by their supposed godly men.

Has the republic been a great success? A nation of mass hidden child abuse by their supposed godly men.

YOU are celebrating a centenary T. Tell us how NI has been a success for it's people.

Downcow has tried but has written a list of success for the Unionist people and took cheap shots at us on behalf of belligernet Unionist people.

We are waiting for a list of successes for all the people.

Come on, heaps of people north of the border want a United Ireland! You know that!

But I think southerners would genuinely be very interested in why people might feel NI has not been a failure?

This is the arrogance on display again. Would you ask that of any other country. You have no idea that life is ok in ni. We enjoy it and we want it that way

• Registered Users Posts: 13,897 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Well it is certainly a bigger success than the ROI.
    We have grown our minority population to almost 50%

Ahahahahahaha.

You make it sound like something Carson and co. were aiming for. :D:D:D:D:D:D

It's the centenary of NI...not the UK. Pretty sad to have to do what you are doing to find something to celebrate.

If the only thing I had to celebrate was not being united with a country that hates our people and our culture then that would be worth celebrating. But I have lots more. I love owc and it is really interesting that you guys think I need to justify that

Another solid response from your goodself.

I'm assuming all of your deflection and attitude is due to you not believing NI to have been a success.

I'm glad we got there eventually. Good hustle.

Is it?

I’ve told you. Because it has remained part of one of the biggest economies in the world despite a neighbour desperate to woo it

Regional comparison would be more informing. For example, the EU Constituency region Munster (takes in Limerick, Tipperary, Waterford & Cork) is the third richest region in the EU (after inner London and Luxembourg).
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/southern-part-of-ireland-third-richest-in-eu-but-west-lags-behind-1.3811364

GDP of Northern Ireland is €27,200 per person
    GDP of South West Ireland is €74,700
    GDP of Leinster/Dublin is €64,000
    GDP of Ireland West/Border area is €28,400
    GDP of inner London area is €209,900 per person.
    There is something wrong with how poorly NI performs.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/southern-part-of-ireland-third-richest-in-eu-but-west-lags-behind-1.3811364

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

This is the arrogance on display again. Would you ask that of any other country. You have no idea that life is ok in ni. We enjoy it and we want it that way[/

But loads of its own residents don’t want NI to continue at all, it’s a legitimate question to ask has it succeeded as its centenary arrives. I have a fair idea what NI is like, I own a business in Belfast, have to be there quite a lot. But I can’t see how NI could objectively considered a success, compared to almost any other country. How has it been a success?

• Advertisement

If the only thing I had to celebrate was not being united with a country that hates our people and our culture then that would be worth celebrating. But I have lots more. I love owc and it is really interesting that you guys think I need to justify that

It’s interesting that the republics claim to fame is their priests fiddling with their kids and then getting handouts from the hated British to keep the lights on. And they still send their kids there every Sunday. Mad altogether.

Oh and Guinness and st patty’s day. Very insecure lot the Irish when it comes down to it.

This is the arrogance on display again. Would you ask that of any other country. You have no idea that life is ok in ni. We enjoy it and we want it that way

Uh...

The thread is called "Northern Ireland- a failure 99 years on?"... So I would reckon you likely disagree with such a statement based on your contributions thus far.

So I have asked you to demonstrate how the North has been a success over that period?
    You have yet to do so.

If you want us to discuss other countries' success over the same period then by all means you can go start another thread on the matter, but I think we should stick to the subject at hand here.

So, can you outline how Northern Ireland had been successful over the last century?

It’s interesting that the republics claim to fame is their priests fiddling with their kids and then getting handouts from the hated British to keep the lights on. And they still send their kids there every Sunday. Mad altogether.

Oh and Guinness and st patty’s day. Very insecure lot the Irish when it comes down to it.

More trite jibes and potshots to mask the fact that you cannot outline how it has succeeded for all it's people.

If you don't think you need to "justify that" then what the hell are you doing in this thread?

Jesus, are you alright there DC?

jm08 wrote: »
    Regional comparison would be more informing. For example, the EU Constituency region Munster (takes in Limerick, Tipperary, Waterford & Cork) is the third richest region in the EU (after inner London and Luxembourg).

GDP of Northern Ireland is €27,200 per person
    GDP of South West Ireland is €74,700
    GDP of Leinster/Dublin is €64,000
    GDP of Ireland West/Border area is €28,400
    GDP of inner London area is €209,900 per person.
    There is something wrong with how poorly NI performs.

Yeah I guess you would love to be like us and have a region with a gdp of £209000 in your country. You could join us , if we allowed you. Try asking nicely. Please and pretty please would be a start

But you don't like sharing it with Irish people who have been there long before the plantation of Ulster (example, no respect for the Irish language).

I’ve told you. Because it has remained part of one of the biggest economies in the world despite a neighbour desperate to woo it

Whut?

And I think the Guinness family are brits lol

• Registered Users Posts: 13,897 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Yeah I guess you would love to be like us and have a region with a gdp of £209000 in your country. You could join us , if we allowed you. Try asking nicely. Please and pretty please would be a start

It's not in your country.

It's in another country, one of the other four countries that makes up the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Beltby

And I think the Guinness family are brits lol

Even better, the queen is German.:D

Advertisement