Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Ireland- a failure 99 years on?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Of course they are, they are Irish after all. ;)

With British hearts of oak.
    Francie,living where you do,you`re virtually British anyway so don`t fight it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Loads of road signs in NI don't say Londonderry either.

That’s news to me. I’m not saying you are not correct But I challenge you to find me eg a motorway sign that does not give it its correct name.
    But you are still not anaswering the question. Whataboutery is not an answer

• Registered Users Posts: 69,176 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

RobMc59 wrote: »
    With British hearts of oak.
    Francie,living where you do,you`re virtually British anyway so don`t fight it! :)

Irish people have to choose to identify as British Rob. We've been through this.

Tbh referring to a city by the vernacular is hardly the worst idea now is it? Nor is referring to a city by the name that most of the citizens of that city would refer to it as as well.

I mean, did DC have an issue with the name of Derry City Council as the name of the city's local authority before the merger with Strabane? Probably never gave it a second thought tbf. Imagine, a unionist reactionary. Mad!

Would you reckon he made a point of referring to Kingston-upon-Hull rather than Hull before they officially changed the name?

---

DC, can you demonstrate how Northern Ireland has been a success for the last century?

Not answering the question

Irish people have to choose to identify as British Rob. We've been through this.

Francie you know we`ve all discussed this at length and the general consensus is those born in NI are British until they decide otherwise down the line.

• Advertisement

downcow wrote: »

I would`nt worry about it Downcow,if people want to argue which English place name they want to use it`s up to them.Now if they were insisting it has to be called Doire...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Beltby

I`ve seen a few around anfield.Is your reference to southport beggers a clue to your disgruntled republican leaning? ;)

My partner has a lot of family in Southport. I have spent a fair bit of time there.

Francie you know we`ve all discussed this at length and the general consensus is those born in NI are British until they decide otherwise down the line.

Is this the same way as we discussed the success of NI for all it's people and all we got is a list of great things for Unionists and bitter little digs at themuns? :)

Respect our neighbour? The people of Derry call their city "Derry". Are you really trying to make out that it's that offensive or disrespectful? Really?

I would point you to Transport Infrastructure Ireland (www.tii.ie) who I'm sure will take on your complaint with all the force and consideration it deserves.

---

DC, can you demonstrate how Northern Ireland has been a success for the last century?

It was a very simple question bonnie. Why do you think uk road signs have the official name on them but ROI single out that city name for unusual exceptional attention?

I could guess why uk do what they do. Would you guess why ROI do what they do?
    It’s not difficult

Beltby wrote: »
    My partner has a lot of family in Southport. I have spent a fair bit of time there.

Apologies,I thought you were referring to the Orange lodge in Southport on the 12th.

• Advertisement

I would`nt worry about it Downcow,if people want to argue which English place name they want to use it`s up to them.Now if they were insisting it has to be called Doire...

Well just that bonnie want an example of ROI being partisan

I think we all know the reason fine we’ll that they do it and this gives a little insight into what life would be like in a UI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Beltby

Apologies,I thought you were referring to the Orange lodge in Southport on the 12th.

No worries. I never knew there was an orange lodge there. You learn something every day.

Is this the same way as we discussed the success of NI for all it's people and all we got is a list of great things for Unionists and bitter little digs at themuns? :)

Francie,I`m aware you like to put labels on groups/people but themuns,huns,partionists,taigs are all derogatory names I`ve learned from republicans here on boards.While we`re at it,it was actually Ireland leaving the UK which created division.There are some who actually say Ulster Scots are descended from the original inhabitants of Ireland before Catholicism.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

No,I think NI along with the rest of the UK has suffered from the effects of WW2 and tory austerity has also forced us all to tighten our belts but generally I believe NI is holding it`s own.Ironically,it may yet surge with the added advantages it will have due to brexit which will cause more vexation amongst disgruntled republicans.

Let's try that again.

Being very specific to Northern Ireland now and not the rest of the UK.

Do you consider Northern Ireland a failure?

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

It was a very simple question bonnie. Why do you think uk road signs have the official name on them but ROI single out that city name for unusual exceptional attention?

It’s not difficult

I am guessing it was called Doire/Derry, long before it was called Londonderry... so people all over Ireland continue to call it Derry? I've never heard anyone down south call it Londonderry, it's always just been Derry... Nothing sinister in calling it Derry either...
    It's like a road sign in Argentina with directions for the boat to "The Falklands" :confused:

Am I not?

Cool.

---

Do you consider that Northern Ireland has been a failure for the last century?

Oh really?

You best talk to Emma De Souza about that.

---

Do you consider Northern Ireland to have been a failure this last century?

If someone wanted to refer to Derry as Doire, would you put a restriction upon that?

That sounds rather like discrimination to me.

---

Anyway, do you consider Northern Ireland to have been a failure this last century?

Let's try that again.

Being very specific to Northern Ireland now and not the rest of the UK.

Do you consider Northern Ireland a failure?

No,I don`t consider NI a failure.Nor do I judge it separately from the rest of the UK,we`re all in this together.

• Advertisement

It’s not difficult

I dunno. As I pointed out, if you have any queries about roadsigns in the Ireland you should make an inquiry to the appropriate authority, Transport Infrastructure Ireland (www.tii.ie).

Personally I think using the vernacular for a city name is rather appropriate tbh. But hey, that's just me.

---

In case you missed my question though, I'll repeat it below.

Do you think Northern Ireland has been a success for the last century?

No,I don`t consider NI a failure.Nor do I judge it separately from the rest of the UK,we`re all in this together.

Well, unfortunately this thread is devoted to it specifically.

So if you don't consider it to have been a failure, then would I be correct in thinking that you feel it has been a success?

If I am so correct, could you please demonstrate examples of this success please?

If someone wanted to refer to Derry as Doire, would you put a restriction upon that?

That sounds rather like discrimination to me.

---

Anyway, do you consider Northern Ireland to have been a failure this last century?

No. I asked you why ROI put Derry on their signs. Simple question

I dunno. As I pointed out, if you have any queries about roadsigns in the Ireland you should make an inquiry to the appropriate authority, Transport Infrastructure Ireland (www.tii.ie).

Personally I think using the vernacular for a city name is rather appropriate tbh. But hey, that's just me.

---

In case you missed my question though, I'll repeat it below.

Do you think Northern Ireland has been a success for the last century?

As You just pointed out, if you have any queries about NI you should make an inquiry to the appropriate authority,

Well, unfortunately this thread is devoted to it specifically.

So if you don't consider it to have been a failure, then would I be correct in thinking that you feel it has been a success?

If I am so correct, could you please demonstrate examples of this success please?

Unfortunately bonnie,we can`t help how we feel and I will always think of NI as an integral part of the UK,as is Wales,England and Scotland.

Unfortunately bonnie,we can`t help how we feel and I will always think of NI as an integral part of the UK,as is Wales,England and Scotland.

Shame your government doesn't think like that. They signed an international agreement with another country to administer it and just did what Unionists vehemently didn't want them to do...separated it from the rest of the UK.

Shame your government doesn't think like that. They signed an international agreement with another country to administer it and just did what Unionists vehemently didn't want them to do...separated it from the rest of the UK.

True,but what a shot in the arm for NI business.I for one cautiously see it as an advantage for NI.Anyway,I have no time for the tories and news that labour popularity has pulled level with them in opinion polls is encouraging although too late to stop brexit.

No. I asked you why ROI put Derry on their signs. Simple question

You're stroppily demanding an answer to a question that I have answered and yet you do not accept the answer. And yet, you ignore the question I have posed to you repeatedly since yesterday. And they say Nationalists never compromise...

So I'll answer again, the signs have the name of the city as it is used in the vernacular. That is all.

If you have anything further you would like to know, you should make an inquiry with the appropriate authority in this case Transport Infrastructure Ireland (www.tii.ie).

---

Do you think Northern Ireland has been a failure?

As You just pointed out, if you have any queries about NI you should make an inquiry to the appropriate authority,

But I'm looking for your personal opinion on the matter. This is a discussion board. If you don't want to discuss the subject at hand then why are you bothering?

---

Do you think Northern Ireland has been a failure?

• Advertisement

You can think of it as an integral part all you want, but I don't see how you can't pass comment on it in the singular.

That you cannot pass comment on its apparent failings and are continuing to hide behind such an obtuse notion that you must comment upon the whole of the UK rather than on Northern Ireland specifically is bizarre, telling and quite frankly amateurish.

Do you pass comment on all aspects of British culture by reference to all other parts of Britain
    I mean, if I want to understand the significance of the Southport LOL do I have to discuss Morris Dancing as well, while also referring to the night life of Brighton on the 1930s?

Can you see the problem here.

This thread is specifically about Northern Ireland and its failures or otherwise. So let's stay on topic shall we.

---

Do you think Northern Ireland has been a failure this last century?

Advertisement