Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Ireland- a failure 99 years on?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

downcow wrote: »
    Well here we are. I don’t even want to rad the second part of your post. The first bit got me so wound up. I was at both games.
    Do you realise what you have just said. The ni fans had the ordasity to wave the flag of their country and you allowed them. It really is incredible.
    Your fans that day chanted of ah up the ra at our fans. There were only a couple of hundred of us allowed and you gave us the most nasty sectarian **** I had ever encountered. And if I’m not mistaken the game was arranged as a peace initiative after our people were murdered by the Ira at enniskillen.
    You guys really do need to waken up.
    My teams fans (me included) we’re guilty of some disgraceful sectarian crap over the years. But you will never change until you recognise the sectarian crap you got up to
    Yet you don't see the irony of supporting orange parades that terrorise and frighten nationalist area when they are not allowed pararade through with drums, flags and sickening/sectarian songs. Also the bit in bold probably never happened and you're just justifying your hatred

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Five Eighth

I didn’t read the article in detail but I know it was common practice. But do I hint that you at least accepted it happened?
    Some of your mates must have Jack Charlton autobiography and I think he confirms it.
    But you guys really need to take a big long look at yourselves. You are focused on one game in 1993 and can’t even name anything that happened and now you are saying that because the Roi players didn’t celebrate the murder of our people before ‘every’ game then it’s ok.
    "...can't name anything that happened at the 1993 game..." You have been provided with numerous extracts from newspaper articles and television documentaries about that awful night.
    Read the words of Sean South from Garryowen. Not a mention about killing anyone, RUC police officers or anyone else for that matter.
    The lyrics were all about the death of Sean South. I'm sure that the understanding that this song causes you and other unionists offence and hurt, it is no longer played.
    Do you think that many northern nationalists that you assert support the NI football team might experience any offence or hurt from the playing of 'God Save the Queen' at NI football matches?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Surprise surprise, the most infected region of Ireland is the region still under British rule.

529017.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,792 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

As for me showing my colours. I didn’t think they were ever hidden.
    While your team continues to sectarianise international football on this island by hunting down every catholic that comes through our system, then I will want to see you lose every game you play. Simple.

No, the FAI will play any Irish passport holder of any use; Catholic, Protestant, Dissenter, Jew, Musim, Buddhist or Zoroastrian. They many not get many Protestants from the North because they prefer to play for their own Protestant sectarian entity.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

I didn’t read the article in detail but I know it was common practice. But do I hint that you at least accepted it happened?
    Some of your mates must have Jack Charlton autobiography and I think he confirms it.
    But you guys really need to take a big long look at yourselves. You are focused on one game in 1993 and can’t even name anything that happened and now you are saying that because the Roi players didn’t celebrate the murder of our people before ‘every’ game then it’s ok.

It was Jack Charlton who liked Sean South of Garryowen because it was an upbeat tune. By the way, you do realise that Sean South was killed by the RUC (1957), so I don't know why you are getting into a huff about that song.

I suggest you have a read of the lyrics (and listen to the tune. I can understand why Jack found it so catchy).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZTc43yO2OI

• Advertisement

Playing songs in team coach about killing our police officers.
    What rebel song is about killing RUC police officers?

Checking religion of Northern players prior to only chasing the Catholics. The exception haha was paddy McNair who they thought was a catholic with a name like paddy haha
    From what I understand, the players have to let it be known to the FAI that they are interested in representing the Republic.

CEO singing Irish rebel songs.
    What is actually wrong with singing Irish rebel songs?

Endless videos of Roi fans singing sectarian songs
    What Sectarian songs? And would the frequent chant of ''Uh, Ah, Paul McGrath'' be one of those offensive ones?

Your problem is you haven’t got to square one yet. We are busy trying to deal with stuff and it’s not easy. Your blinkers make it easy for you

We don't have a problem with sectarianism in the south.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Is he still at the keyboard?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Surprise surprise, the most infected region of Ireland is the region still under British rule.

529017.png

That is much on SF as anyone tbh. They are after all running the place are they not?

markodaly wrote: »
    That is much on SF as anyone tbh. They are after all running the place are they not?

What part of 'British rule' are you having trouble understanding? They haven't the funds for furlough from central government i.e. British rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

What part of 'British rule' are you having trouble understanding? They haven't the funds for furlough from central government i.e. British rule.

Seems to be the North West of this island (which straddles the border) that is most affected by Covid. Nottingham & the North East of England also have it bad, maybe they too need extra funds for localised lockdowns? Parts of Scotland too, which is under an SNP administration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Really sad what you are trying to do with that map. I was also sent a a map comparison for ni.
    Most recent election results and most recent covid map.
    Yes you guessed it the maps are identical ie most green areas (sf) crazy levels of covid and most orange areas (dup) very low levels of covid. I did not post it because it is more about the recklessness of the gaa than the behaviour of sf politicians - although it’s a bit chicken and egg.

Really sad what you are trying to do with that map. I was also sent a a map comparison for ni.
    Most recent election results and most recent covid map.
    Yes you guessed it the maps are identical ie most green areas (sf) crazy levels of covid and most orange areas (dup) very low levels of covid. I did not post it because it is more about the recklessness of the gaa than the behaviour of sf politicians - although it’s a bit chicken and egg.

The higher incidence of Covid is far more likely to do with lack of investment in these areas - poor healthcare, education and housing with high unemployment. The high incidence of covid is mirrored in the UK in places like the North East of England for the same reasons.

I listened to someone from the border region speaking yesterday about the problems having to deal with two sets of restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

markodaly wrote: »

All parties run the place - it's a shared executive.

jm08 wrote: »
    The higher incidence of Covid is far more likely to do with lack of investment in these areas - poor healthcare, education and housing with high unemployment. The high incidence of covid is mirrored in the UK in places like the North East of England for the same reasons.

Mirrored in the UK ?
    ... are you then talking about Covid numbers in the Southwest/Donegal?

Mirrored in the UK ?
    ... are you then talking about Covid numbers in the Southwest/Donegal?

No. We are talking about West of the Bann in Northern Ireland which would be similar to the North West of England (both part of the UK health service) where there is also a very high incidence of Covid.

Weird how some places get it so bad, Derry & Strabane, Liverpool & Nottingham :confused:
    Like why some places, cities, and not others?

Weird how some places get it so bad, Derry & Strabane, Liverpool & Nottingham :confused:
    Like why some places, cities, and not others?

Are you this naive with your line of questioning in other aspects of your life?

No, but Covid seems to have many people baffled as to how it becomes such a major problem in some areas and not in others. Obviously person to person transmission is the culprit, but some places have it so much worse than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

No, but Covid seems to have many people baffled as to how it becomes such a major problem in some areas and not in others. Obviously person to person transmission is the culprit, but some places have it so much worse than others.

There was a strong rumour that one of the big outbreaks in the Letterkenny / Strabane / Derry area started with a lads making visits to 'Ladies Of The Night ;) ' in Letterkenny and then spreading it on. It's probably not the only thing they caught tbf.

Are you baffled? You seem baffled.

• Advertisement

No. We are talking about West of the Bann in Northern Ireland which would be similar to the North West of England (both part of the UK health service) where there is also a very high incidence of Covid.

What’s the UK health service?

Aegir wrote: »
    What’s the UK health service?

National Health Service (NHS).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

I live and work on Merseyside which has just moved to 'very high ' status.Out and about people appear to be observing the rules and recommendations although the ridiculous 10pm pub rule meant everyone was piling out together which definitely doesn't help.
    I

The NHS that is is split in to four separate regions, under the control of the devolved administration for that region?

Or to put it correctly NHS England (which covers the North East of England) NHS Scotland, NHS Wales and Health and Social Care NI which cover the area west of the Bann.

The NHS that is is split in to four separate regions, under the control of the devolved administration for that region?

Or to put it correctly NHS England (which covers the North East of England) NHS Scotland, NHS Wales and Health and Social Care NI which cover the area west of the Bann.

And?

And?

And yiur post is irrelevant. The NI health service and the English health service are separate entities. They receive funding based on the demographics of the area and this funding comes from the devolved assembley.

The only connection they both have is that there is a pandemic going on.

And yiur post is irrelevant. The NI health service and the English health service are separate entities. They receive funding based on the demographics of the area and this funding comes from the devolved assembley.

The only connection they both have is that there is a pandemic going on.

They operate under the same principle - free health care for all which differs to the ROI.

The devolved assembly gets its spending money from central government. How much is dependent on it. It has no ability to raise its own funds.

Is it the United Kingdom or not. The Assemblies and Scottish Gov. have limited powers (i.e., absolutely no say on the direction of Brexit).

most green areas (sf) crazy levels of covid and most orange areas (dup) very low levels of covid. recklessness of the gaa behaviour of sf politicians

The dirty Fenians are to blame, is it?

You just can't help yourself can you DC?

They operate under the same principle - free health care for all which differs to the ROI.

The devolved assembly gets its spending money from central government. How much is dependent on it. It has no ability to raise its own funds.

Is it the United Kingdom or not. The Assemblies and Scottish Gov. have limited powers (i.e., absolutely no say on the direction of Brexit).

what's Brexit got to do with it?

Stormont gets more money per person than any other part of the UK. How the executive choose to spend it is entirely up to them.

The fact that they choose to give away free prescriptions and are the only part of the UK not charging water rates would indicate that they have enough money already, would it not?

You are trying to make out that this is the nasty southern English underfunding Northern England and the Western Health and Social care trust, which it isn't.

The spread of covid probably has more to do ith the GAA county championships than it does with Westminster.

Unfortunately, this is something the people of Derry and Strabane have to take responsibility for, they can't blame the English as much as they would like to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The Health Service in Northern Ireland is making the HSE look good. That takes some doing.

Advertisement