Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Ireland- a failure 99 years on?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Aegir wrote: »
    what's Brexit got to do with it?

Stormont gets more money per person than any other part of the UK. How the executive choose to spend it is entirely up to them.

The fact that they choose to give away free prescriptions and are the only part of the UK not charging water rates would indicate that they have enough money already, would it not?

You are trying to make out that this is the nasty southern English underfunding Northern England and the Western Health and Social care trust, which it isn't.

The spread of covid probably has more to do ith the GAA county championships than it does with Westminster.

Unfortunately, this is something the people of Derry and Strabane have to take responsibility for, they can't blame the English as much as they would like to.

It is always someone else's fault in a Sinn Fein world.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Why are you bringing SF into it? I thought it was a joint-adminsitration?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

The dirty Fenians are to blame, is it?

You just can't help yourself can you DC?

I wouldn’t refer to the gaa as dirty fenians, but sure you refer to them as you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭trashcan

downcow wrote: »
    Well here we are. I don’t even want to rad the second part of your post. The first bit got me so wound up. I was at both games.
    Do you realise what you have just said. The ni fans had the ordasity to wave the flag of their country and you allowed them. It really is incredible.
    Your fans that day chanted of ah up the ra at our fans. There were only a couple of hundred of us allowed and you gave us the most nasty sectarian **** I had ever encountered. And if I’m not mistaken the game was arranged as a peace initiative after our people were murdered by the Ira at enniskillen.
    You guys really do need to waken up.
    My teams fans (me included) we’re guilty of some disgraceful sectarian crap over the years. But you will never change until you recognise the sectarian crap you got up to

1. Ordasity ? Tut tut. The Queens English my good man. I believe audacity is the word you're looking for.
    2. Nobody said anything about "allowing" Northern Ireland fans to wave their Union Jacks, the point was that ROI supporters in Windsor Park couldn't dare wave a tricolour.
    3. If the Sectarian chanting at Landsdowne by ROI support was so bad, why was the chant that really upset Billy Bingham "There's only one team in Ireland" ? Don't even bother denying that, I remember it well, it's what led to his "mercenaries" comment (something which I actually have a bit of sympathy with.)
    4. The game was arranged as a piece initiative after Enniskillen ? Eh, no. It was a World Cup qualifier. Strange you don't remember that, with you being there and all.

trashcan wrote: »
    1. Ordasity ? Tut tut. The Queens English my good man. I believe audacity is the word you're looking for.
    2. Nobody said anything about "allowing" Northern Ireland fans to wave their Union Jacks, the point was that ROI supporters in Windsor Park couldn't dare wave a tricolour.
    3. If the Sectarian chanting at Landsdowne by ROI support was so bad, why was the chant that really upset Billy Bingham "There's only one team in Ireland" ? Don't even bother denying that, I remember it well, it's what led to his "mercenaries" comment (something which I actually have a bit of sympathy with.)
    4. The game was arranged as a piece initiative after Enniskillen ? Eh, no. It was a World Cup qualifier. Strange you don't remember that, with you being there and all.

5 years after Enniskillen as well. And after we beat them 3-0 earlier in the campaign. Remember Staunton scoring from a corner?

Also, we had them in our group for the Italia 90 qualifiers.

But yeah, the night in Windsor was a peace initiative. This guy is a chancer.

• Advertisement

1. Don’t know what you are saying.
    2. I thought it was a strange comment to say the ni fans had no flags with them. We take them everywhere. Don’t know why your fans don’t.
    3 difficult to argue with you if you are somehow inside billy Bingham head and know what he is thinking. I think you’ll find we started that chant as we are the original team in Ireland
    4. You are correct. I was mixing up games. It was the peace initiative game after enniskillen that your fans chanted ooh aah up the ra at us. Apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

2. I thought it was a strange comment to say the ni fans had no flags with them. We take them everywhere. Don’t know why your fans don’t.
    3 difficult to argue with you if you are somehow inside billy Bingham head and know what he is thinking. I think you’ll find we started that chant as we are the original team in Ireland
    4. You are correct. I was mixing up games. It was the peace initiative game after enniskillen that your fans chanted ooh aah up the ra at us. Apologies.

You should just leave it downcow, you have been caught out on this so many times it's embarrassing at this stage.

5 years after Enniskillen as well. And after we beat them 3-0 earlier in the campaign. Remember Staunton scoring from a corner?

Also, we had them in our group for the Italia 90 qualifiers.

But yeah, the night in Windsor was a peace initiative. This guy is a chancer.

I never suggested the game in Windsor was a peace initiative. I was referring to the Dublin game and of course I was wrong. It was The peace initiative game that your fans spent most of the game singing sectarian songs. Can’t honestly remember much about the Dublin 93 game

You should just leave it downcow, you have been caught out on this so many times it's embarrassing at this stage.

Whatever you say Francie.

Well here we are. I don’t even want to rad the second part of your post. The first bit got me so wound up. I was at both games.
    Do you realise what you have just said. The ni fans had the ordasity to wave the flag of their country and you allowed them. It really is incredible.
    Your fans that day chanted of ah up the ra at our fans. There were only a couple of hundred of us allowed and you gave us the most nasty sectarian **** I had ever encountered. And if I’m not mistaken the game was arranged as a peace initiative after our people were murdered by the Ira at enniskillen.
    You guys really do need to waken up.
    My teams fans (me included) we’re guilty of some disgraceful sectarian crap over the years. But you will never change until you recognise the sectarian crap you got up to
    I never suggested the game in Windsor was a peace initiative.

You literally said it

I was referring to the Dublin game and of course I was wrong.

But we were talking about Belfast 93?
    It was The peace initiative game that your fans spent most of the game singing sectarian songs.

The thramps. I best not go looking for those videos of IFA fans at the Nations Cup in Dublin.

Can’t honestly remember much about the Dublin 93 game

Ye got hammered like the minnows ye were by a team in the top-10 of the world rankings.

• Advertisement

I never suggested the game in Windsor was a peace initiative. I was referring to the Dublin game and of course I was wrong. It was The peace initiative game that your fans spent most of the game singing sectarian songs. Can’t honestly remember much about the Dublin 93 game

I looked up that game there and nobody I can find mentions animosity or sectarianism on display.
    A month after the Omagh bombing, it was announced that a friendly would take place in Dublin between Ireland and Northern Ireland in aid of victims; a match which was reported at the time as an “unprecedented gesture by the two rival football associations.”

But their meeting in Dublin on 29 May 1999 represented an altogether different occasion — one which stripped away the usual venom and animosity, instead an occasion which showed the power of sport to unite those opposed to one another, in order to come together for a cause greater than themselves, and a cause far more important than football.

I think you are telling porkies again.

1. You don't know that the word is audacity, not ordasity ? Ok, fair enough.
    2. ROI fans usually do bring tricolours with them. Windsor Park was an exception. I wonder why that was ?
    3. I didn't have to be inside Billy's head. Thats what he said himself. No way you started that chant either. It was ROI fans taunting (shocking, I know) after we had given you a good spankng.
    4. I have no memory of a peace initiative game after Enniskillen. Do you have a date for that ? (The year will do.)

You literally said it

But we were talking about Belfast 93?

s.

Keep up bonnie. Read it again. I was directly responding to the poster who said the ni fans were waving ni flags. He was referring to the Dublin game. Check it out with him.
    You must be on the wine early and you are going to embarrass yourself

2. ROI fans usually do bring tricolours with them. Windsor Park was an exception. I wonder why that was ?
    3. I didn't have to be inside Billy's head. Thats what he said himself. No way you started that chant either. It was ROI fans taunting (shocking, I know) after we had given you a good spankng.
    4. I have no memory of a peace initiative game after Enniskillen. Do you have a date for that ? (The year will do.)

4 my mistake again. Omagh bombing 1999. Apologies

Keep up bonnie. Read it again. I was directly responding to the poster who said the ni fans were waving ni flags. He was referring to the Dublin game. Check it out with him.
    You must be on the wine early and you are going to embarrass yourself

Is that so?

Unlike your good self who is repeatedly caught with your jocks down.

The ordasity of you!

Is that so?

Unlike your good self who is repeatedly caught with your jocks down.

The ordasity of you!

Big difference is I accept I am wrong and apologise when I’m caught with my jocks down, while you try to hide your embarrassment hehe

Big difference is I accept I am wrong and apologise when I’m caught with my jocks down, while you try to hide your embarrassment hehe

You're hilarious!

I didn't have to be inside Billy's head. Thats what he said himself. No way you started that chant either. It was ROI fans taunting (shocking, I know) after we had given you a good spankng.
    )

Of absolutely it was Roi fans that night I am sure. Traditional custom for whichever team is winning. Plenary of it being sung on Thursday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭boetstark

There were vile atrocities on both sides leading up to that grim night but what had that to do with the ROI football team?
    Northern Ireland had played in the old Lansdowne Road in March 1993. I was at the match. The NI fans were chanting and waving Unions Jacks and six county Ulster flags. Not one person in my area of the ground made any derogatory comments towards the Northern Ireland players or fans.
    Below are a few extracts from the RTE documentary:
    One Night In Windsor Park – 25 Years On..
    Northern Ireland boss Billy Bingham tossed an oily rag on the fire by labelling Charlton's team "a bunch of mercenaries... happy to be picked because they couldn't find a way of making it with England or Scotland. I take a totally cynical view of the whole business. I am not prepared to skirt the issue, the same as I am happy to state it is our intention to stuff the Republic".
    Billy Bingham was trying to rouse the crowd by waving his arms and getting them to make the atmosphere even more hostile. It was probably the most volatile atmosphere we've ever experienced at a sports event in this island.
    Northern Ireland fans were shouting at Alan Kernaghan "You could feel the venom in it. 'Pope-sucking whore', 'your mother's the Pope's whore'.
    "The team boarded their coach. Verbal obscenities were being hurled in their direction by fuming supporters of Northern Ireland
    We wanted to make sure everyone got away from the ground safe and well… It wasn't until we were on the plane that we started to relax a bit.

Northern buses were ambushed with rocks in dundalk and outside dublin

boetstark wrote: »

Nobody is in denial that reactions happened. They always will.

One thing is absolutely certain, there is no reputation for serious sectarianism here that required intervention to try and stop it. Our soccer fans have an altogether different reputation home and abroad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Five Eighth

Not quite sure what you mean by your comment. Did the stoning of these buses happen before the Windsor Park match and are you suggesting that this contributed to the torrents of hatred and abuse that flowed down from the stands and in from the terraces and onto the pitch that night? Or did the stoning of the buses occur after that November night and was because of what happened on that night?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Aegir wrote: »
    what's Brexit got to do with it?

Its an example as to how helpless the Assembly is when it comes to control of their own affairs.

Stormont gets more money per person than any other part of the UK. How the executive choose to spend it is entirely up to them.

The DUP burning half a billion in the RHI scheme doesn't help.

The fact that they choose to give away free prescriptions and are the only part of the UK not charging water rates would indicate that they have enough money already, would it not?

East of the Bann yes. The west of the Bann is much neglected.

You are trying to make out that this is the nasty southern English underfunding Northern England and the Western Health and Social care trust, which it isn't.

No. I'm not. The whole of the NHS seems to be very underfunded.

The spread of covid probably has more to do ith the GAA county championships than it does with Westminster.
    Who is blaming Westminister.

Unfortunately, this is something the people of Derry and Strabane have to take responsibility for, they can't blame the English as much as they would like to.

and Donegal as well.

One thing is absolutely certain, there is no reputation for serious sectarianism here that required intervention to try and stop it. Our soccer fans have an altogether different reputation home and abroad.

Fair point Francie , idiots among all supporters just some take it to a different level.

Not quite sure what you mean by your comment. Did the stoning of these buses happen before the Windsor Park match and are you suggesting that this contributed to the torrents of hatred and abuse that flowed down from the stands and in from the terraces and onto the pitch that night? Or did the stoning of the buses occur after that November night and was because of what happened on that night?

I think it was after Windsor park

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,578 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Spell Czars are as unwelcome as Grammar Nazis around here, so you had better drop such comments

Fair point Francie , idiots among all supporters just some take it to a different level.

Agree. The simple undeniable fact is that soccer in the north has been tainted with this stuff for years. The opposite has no basis in fact bar sporadic incidents.

Beasty wrote: »
    Spell Czars are as unwelcome as Grammar Nazis around here, so you had better drop such comments

Spell czars ?, oh piss off. Ban me if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

What part of 'British rule' are you having trouble understanding? They haven't the funds for furlough from central government i.e. British rule.

You mean the €10 Billion per year they get from Westminister to run the place? The biggest wealth transfer in the UK? Those funds?

If SF/DUP cannot run the place when they have that sort of cash coming in, then really one is not making a good argument for us to be taking over.

Anyway, why did SF/IRA surrender for this 'arrangement' you don't seem to be happy about?

Francie. I thought you couldn’t surprise me again with your levels of prejudice.

Now you are claiming our buses getting stoned in Dublin was in reaction to the Belfast game which wouldn’t happen for another 6 months. LOL you never cease, but sure you give us a laugh.

......and here are you non-sectarian football supporters haha https://vm.tiktok.com/ZS9Co95K/

• Advertisement

Think you have brought a good conclusion to this little disagreement. I had listed loads of stuff Roi done on the lead up to the game and I had forgot about our buses being stoned.
    You got the events the wrong way around and tried to justify the stoning etc as a reaction to belfast that hadn’t yet happened.
    I take it you are then saying that Northern fans reacting to the earlier match would be understandable.
    I take your point but do not agree with you.
    I would wholeheartedly condemn any retaliatory violence etc directed at Roi fans or team following our buses being stoned etc (or indeed the earlier bombs at our ground). But thankfully I am unaware of any and saw Roi fans sitting amongst us in the main stand with only a bit of healthy verbal banter coming their way.

But thanks for clarifying your position. That acceptance of retaliatory behaviour is exactly why we had 40 years of troubles

It seems the sum of all this ‘disgraceful’ behaviour by ni fans, amounted to verbals from the terraces. Have you ever been to a match. You really shouldn’t have put 11 snowflakes out on the pitch if a bit of verbal was going to have them crying and writing books about it.
    Apart me reacting to your nonsense here, when did you last hear ni fans/players complaining about Roi fans stoning them or our ground getting bombed at games or Roi players putting on balaclavas to taunt ni victims, or Roi ceo singing rebel songs, or Roi fans singing about hating us and Ira chants, etc or writing books about it?

But sure Roi doesn’t have a problywith sectarianism LOL

Advertisement