Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Ireland- a failure 99 years on?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

downcow wrote: »
    Francie. I thought you couldn’t surprise me again with your levels of prejudice.

Now you are claiming our buses getting stoned in Dublin was in reaction to the Belfast game which wouldn’t happen for another 6 months. LOL you never cease, but sure you give us a laugh.

......and here are you non-sectarian football supporters haha https://vm.tiktok.com/ZS9Co95K/

As well as owning up to your 'reputation' you also need to have a look at what the word 'sectarian' means.

And I never said anywhere that the buses being stoned was in 'reaction to the Belfast game'. Here is what I said:
    Nobody is in denial that reactions happened. They always will.

You are struggling and getting caught out again and again on this one downcow.

Your reputation is your reputation, own it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

As well as owning up to your 'reputation' you also need to have a look at what the word 'sectarian' means.

And I never said anywhere that the buses being stoned was in 'reaction to the Belfast game'. Here is what I said:

You are struggling and getting caught out again and again on this one downcow.

Your reputation is your reputation, own it.

It’s all a nonsense and you know it.

Facts about the two games in question

Roi
    crowd violence with several attacks on ni fans buses in various locations in Roi
    Attempts to use the pain and misery of the troubles to get the game moved to a neutral venue to gain advantage
    Roi fans removed by security from Windsor park due to provocation of ni fans
    Verbals from the terraces to wind up ni players

Ni
    Verbals from the terraces to wind up Roi players

Roi fans seem infatuated with the ni team and are desperate for us to unite. We don’t love you enough to marry you!

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

Roi
    crowd violence with several attacks on ni fans buses in various locations in Roi
    Attempts to use the pain and misery of the troubles to get the game moved to a neutral venue to gain advantage

Ni

Roi fans seem infatuated with the ni team and are desperate for us to unite. We don’t love you enough to marry you!

Do you boys still add your wee bit to that Tiffany song and do your wee bouncy as a way of mocking the murder of an innocent man in Lurgan?

Roi

Ni

As I say, our reputation across Europe is fine, you need to own your reputation downcow...when you wanted to convey the notion that you are a moderate Unionist, you were more than happy to admit to your reputation and trumpet loudly that you personally were working to wipe out the sectarianism and bigotry in NI soccer.

Now, you pivot to downplaying it's existence at all.

:) Caught out and rumbled again and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Annd9

Downcow could you enlighten us on the 40 polish people who had to leave their homes after they played you in Belfast ? Think it was 2009 ? Imagine forcing people from their homes over a match , or maybe it's because they are majority Catholic ?

Or how about the fact Shelbourne had to move a uefa cup game to England in 1998 after threat's from Northern Irish based loyalists?

Or maybe since you are posting videos of "sectarian" songs (I'm sure you could also look up what that word means ) you could explain this little beauty ?

https://youtu.be/QobEYH3h_Ko

Maybe you imagined the sectarian songs in Dublin just like wee Jamie Bryson imagined the balaclava that was actually a Munster crest ! ��

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Five Eighth

Think you have brought a good conclusion to this little disagreement. I had listed loads of stuff Roi done on the lead up to the game and I had forgot about our buses being stoned.
    You got the events the wrong way around and tried to justify the stoning etc as a reaction to belfast that hadn’t yet happened.
    I take it you are then saying that Northern fans reacting to the earlier match would be understandable.
    I take your point but do not agree with you.
    I would wholeheartedly condemn any retaliatory violence etc directed at Roi fans or team following our buses being stoned etc (or indeed the earlier bombs at our ground). But thankfully I am unaware of any and saw Roi fans sitting amongst us in the main stand with only a bit of healthy verbal banter coming their way.

But thanks for clarifying your position. That acceptance of retaliatory behaviour is exactly why we had 40 years of troubles

It seems the sum of all this ‘disgraceful’ behaviour by ni fans, amounted to verbals from the terraces. Have you ever been to a match. You really shouldn’t have put 11 snowflakes out on the pitch if a bit of verbal was going to have them crying and writing books about it.
    Apart me reacting to your nonsense here, when did you last hear ni fans/players complaining about Roi fans stoning them or our ground getting bombed at games or Roi players putting on balaclavas to taunt ni victims, or Roi ceo singing rebel songs, or Roi fans singing about hating us and Ira chants, etc or writing books about it?

But sure Roi doesn’t have a problywith sectarianism LOL
    A rambling, incoherent, nonsensical post.

Is a grown-up, adult debate too much to ask?

A rambling, incoherent, nonsensical post.

Is a grown-up, adult debate too much to ask?

That about sums it up.

We have a group of republicans on here who hate everything about ni and want to blame unionists and the existence of ni for every issue we face. My goodness there are some who are even blaming partition for the spread of covid.
    Everything bad is because of partition and unionists; and a United ireland would solve everything.

This is probably the single best evidence that ni is not a failure. It has had a substantial minority in its jurisdiction who have done everything they could to make it fail and yet it remains a great wee place to live.
    It has also been wooed by a section of its neighbouring country who are obsessed and infatuated by it, and so much want to take its hand in marriage.
    Ni continues to resist its advances because it is very happy and content with its current partner.

If there is a failure then it is the boy that keeps getting rejected and yet keeps coming back and pleading.
    If you love us then you should want what is best for us - wish us well with our current more exciting and diverse partner who can afford to keep us in the lifestyle we are accustomed to.

You should restrict it to sending us the odd valentines card. 💕

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Yerra shur nobody was killed, so isn't that moderate enough for ye.... :pac:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tkajBZkAzo

I don't know what's worse, the sectarian songs or the fact it's adults acting like a bunch of 12 year olds but that's football for ye.

NI fans seem to be obsessed with the pope and cafflicks...

Most of the fat ones in that video will be struck down with health related diseases anyhow in time...

Another classic singalong I love. Steady on lads, "The RAF from Ulster"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8keA-gMAQio

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Ni continues to resist its advances because it is very happy and content with its current partner.

Unfortunately Unionism clings to Britain like a browbeaten spouse that can't accept that its love is wholly unrequited. Unionism is Britain's 'mad cousin' they don't like to talk about in good company.

529291.png

You lot are the baggage that will come with unification but will become a fringe demographic in time as, culturally, unionism is an embarrassment to the British, the Irish, and everyone in between.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Unfortunately Unionism clings to Britain like a browbeaten spouse who can't accept that its love is wholly unrequited. Unionism is Britain's 'mad cousin' they don't like to talk about in good company.

You lot are the baggage that will come with unification but will become a fringe demographic in time as, culturally, unionism is an embarrassment to the British, the Irish, and everyone in between.

Tom,you are spectacularly wide of the mark here.British unionism is regarded as the norm here by the majority of the UK by young and older people and not just a Northern Ireland thing.

• Advertisement

RobMc59 wrote: »
    British unionism is regarded as the norm here by the majority of the UK by young and older people and not just a Northern Ireland thing.

I understand that is true for Britain although it is becoming less so for Scotland.

I doubt many people in Britain would consider the United Kingdom at all compromised by Irish unification, I'd imagine many would be relieved, if not supportive, of offloading the six counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Tom,you are spectacularly wide of the mark here.British unionism is regarded as the norm here by the majority of the UK by young and older people and not just a Northern Ireland thing.

You think Ulster Unionism is the same as that which is practiced by most Brits?

Now that's delusion.

I understand that is true for Britain although it is becoming less so for Scotland.

I doubt many people in Britain would consider the United Kingdom at all compromised by Irish unification, I'd imagine many would be relieved, if not supportive, of offloading the six counties.

I'd agree there's a fair chance Scotland could leave the UK,especially if there is no post brexit deal.Northern Ireland is more complicated imo.

Now that's delusion.

If they want the UK to remain united,how is that different from the rest of us?

I'd agree there's a fair chance Scotland could leave the UK,especially if there is no post brexit deal.Northern Ireland is more complicated imo.

I see a Welsh Unionist had to issue a warning to his assembly to not 'sleepwalk into independence'.

'Tis bad when the Welsh are talking of leaving. :)

Now that's delusion.

Your delusion is that you think if ni was to leave uk that somehow there will be a United ireland in the sense on the 6 counties simply joining the 26.
    ......and of course you wish for the day ni would be kicked out of uk, but you guys cemented our place for as long as we want it with the gfa.

I learnt in primary 3, that 6 into 26 doesn’t go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Your delusion is that you think if ni was to leave uk that somehow there will be a United ireland in the sense on the 6 counties simply joining the 26.
    ......and of course you wish for the day ni would be kicked out of uk, but you guys cemented our place for as long as we want it with the gfa.

Northern Ireland will never be kicked out of the UK, no chance of that.
    It may vote itself out though and if it does I think it will be really a case of the North just integrating with the south rather than a new Ireland that SF talk about. The unionist minority would be very small, equivalent to the combined population of all Co Cork and Co Limerick. Am sure their culture of marches and bands and stuff would continue, but politically and economically the north and south could integrate very quickly. Unionists would probably be better off in a united Ireland, there'd be way less antagonism from the other side. Some of them are very conditioned to seeing everything in sectarian terms though, kinda think southerners would have an issue with them, rather than just not giving a hoot.

If they want the UK to remain united,how is that different from the rest of us?

Oh my.

It's like a toddler sticking their fingers in their ears when you post.

I see a Welsh Unionist had to issue a warning to his assembly to not 'sleepwalk into independence'.

'Tis bad when the Welsh are talking of leaving. :)

I'd wager Ireland will rejoin the UK before Wales leave(in other words not going to happen) :)

• Advertisement

Oh my.

I hope you're observing the covid rules and not wandering around Donegal and Sligo bonnie al' lad! :)

I'd wager Ireland will rejoin the UK before Wales leave(in other words not going to happen) :)

Exactly, it seemed inconceivable once, but not any more. The captain and his crew fairly steered her onto the rocks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If Scotland leave the UK then it's an 8 hour ferry to Liverpool or crossing borders.

Thankfully we have a very simple solution available to solve all those woes should the people vote for it.

If Scotland leave the UK then it's an 8 hour ferry to Liverpool or crossing borders.

Can’t see any problem crossing borders. Seems pretty simple between uk and Roi at the minute. Don’t even have to slow down

Thankfully we have a very simple solution available to solve all those woes should the people vote for it.

We'll have to wait and see how brexit goes I'd say-would you agree?

The ferry terminal from Liverpool (Birkenhead) is fairly compact although there is a lot of building work going on there currently with access restricted to general traffic,probably to do with brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Why the graw, why the constant determination by Republicams to extract Northern Ireland from the UK?

Someday it may indeed vote to leave, but will all be settled then, or will there always be a movement in NI to be reunited with GB?

If I was in power at the time of a border poll I would give all NI residents a one year trial at integrating into the Republic, see how it goes, and if they like it great, 'Bingo' the island is United.

Hey Billy, why has my annual car insurance premium gone up by £800 :eek:

..... however, if things don't look good then they have the option of reintegration back into the United Kingdom after the one year trial.

How does that sound :)

Someday it may indeed vote to leave, but will all be settled then, or will there always be a movement in NI to be reunited with GB?

NI ceases to exist after a pro-UI vote, so Unionism would need to convince a majority of Ireland to go back into the UK, which would mean also removing it from the EU.

I'd say the chances of that would be somewhere between slim and none.

• Advertisement

We'll have to wait and see how brexit goes I'd say-would you agree?

What's Brexit got to do with the provision for a reunification referendum?

Firstly, Brexit happened on Jan 31st.

Secondly, do you think post-transition might be so successful as to dissuade people voting for a UI in the event of a border poll? Because that's the implication of your post knowing your own politics.

Advertisement