Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Ireland- a failure 99 years on?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,184 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

downcow wrote: »
    ....and thereby leaving you alone in your echo chamber lol.

You don’t need to feel for individuals like me. Seems I can’t lose. I love living in NI currently, and yet most on here are telling me things will be even better for me if there is ever a united island
    So whether you believe me, that it will never happen, or you believe the republicans, that it will happen, will be wonderful and I’ll be respected and have influence. - what’s not to like about that!

I think Peter is talking to you here downcow.

Mr Robinson writes: “I know there are border poll deniers who think such a referendum will never be called or believe that to talk about and prepare for a plebiscite creates momentum that will speed its arrival. I do not subscribe to such complacent and dangerous thinking.”

The one-time East Belfast MP says that “in the past when the Union was in peril unionist parties worked together”.

https://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/politics/peter-robinson-we-have-be-ready-fight-our-case-border-poll-3012658

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Gwanoman wrote: »
    At the end of the day,

That half of the Population of the entity known as Northern Ireland does not share in, nor celebrate the main public holiday, the 12th of July and voting aside, don't see themselves as British would be a strong indicator that it has failed. They don't support the national football team. They don't connect with the "official" culture of Northern Ireland and have no support for the Army of the state either...

Some nationalists might stay in the union for their finances. But it does not make the state a success.

Are you trying to tell us that no northern nationalists will be supporting ni against Slovakia in a few weeks.
    You really don’t get the nuisances of owc

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Gwanoman

Are you trying to tell us that no northern nationalists will be supporting ni against Slovakia in a few weeks.
    You really don’t get the nuisances of owc

I didn't say no nationalists... But i am from Derry and know zero who will...

I didn't say no nationalists... But i am from Derry and know zero who will...

It looked very like what you said to me. I agree that very few Roi supporters would be supporting us in that game. They are smarting too much.
    I am in agreement with you but when I say NI supporters enjoy Roi team being beaten , I am told by many on here that I am a bigot

It looked very like what you said to me. I agree that very few Roi supporters would be supporting us in that game. They are smarting too much.
    I am in agreement with you but when I say NI supporters enjoy Roi team being beaten , I am told by many on here that I am a bigot

There is a big difference in not supporting a team and hoping a team get beaten...

• Advertisement

There is a big difference in not supporting a team and hoping a team get beaten...

So you won’t be wanting Slovakia to win ??
    You guys do really can’t face reality.
    I have loads of friends who support Roi and every last one of the is desperate for ni to get beat by Slovakia. They are dreading owc fans turning Aviva into their home ground for two games. As kevin keegan said ‘I’d just love it”

So you won’t be wanting Slovakia to win ??
    You guys do really can’t face reality.
    I have loads of friends who support Roi and every last one of the is desperate for ni to get beat by Slovakia. They are dreading owc fans turning Aviva into their home ground for two games. As kevin keegan said ‘I’d just love it”

Sounds like you're upset that I don't care.. I have friends who are NI fans. Fair Play to them. I wouldn't want NI to get beaten for them. It sounds like you are desperate for me to care to justify your own opinion..

They are dreading owc fans turning Aviva into their home ground for two games. A

Probably because you guys will turn it into the sectarian hell hole Windsor Park was.

You can hardly contain yourself already with the triumphalism.

Sounds like you're upset that I don't care.. I have friends who are NI fans. Fair Play to them. I wouldn't want NI to get beaten for them. It sounds like you are desperate for me to care to justify your own opinion..

Nothing could be further from the truth. I am really pleased you are wanting us to win and I have little doubt that if we do then lots of Roi residents will turn up in aviva to support us
    I think you should be made an honary member of the GAWA

Nothing could be further from the truth. I am really pleased you are wanting us to win and I have little doubt that if we do then lots of Roi residents will turn up in aviva to support us
    I think you should be made an honary member of the GAWA

Are you living in a bubble? There will hardly be fans in stadiums for another year...

• Advertisement

Probably because you guys will turn it into the sectarian hell hole Windsor Park was.

You can hardly contain yourself already with the triumphalism.

Francie. I don’t often commend you but fair play to you for accepting that Windsor park is no longer a sectarian hole. I agree it had huge issues during the troubles but it is great that we are saying ‘was’
    Thanks

Are you living in a bubble? There will hardly be fans in stadiums for another year...

I love the pun lol.
    We are talking next summer so let’s hope we get the opportunity to turn the aviva library into a gawa fortress. Aviva will never have experienced the like of it.
    But let’s not get ahead of ourselves. Firstly We need to despatch that team that beat you guys

Francie. I don’t often commend you but fair play to you for accepting that Windsor park is no longer a sectarian hole. I agree it had huge issues during the troubles but it is great that we are saying ‘was’
    Thanks

You wouldn't get away with it anymore downcow..simple as. It was stop or stop playing altogether, same as the marching.

Doesn't extinguish the fact that you are foaming at the mouth to triumphalise again.

I love the pun lol.
    We are talking next summer so let’s hope we get the opportunity to turn the aviva library into a gawa fortress. Aviva will never have experienced the like of it.
    But let’s not get ahead of ourselves. Firstly We need to despatch that team that beat you guys

My God... You're trying to tell me, a Derry man, that Northern Ireland isn't a failed state, while slagging me with the Northern Ireland team that I don't support... Even though me not supporting them shows its a failed state..

I mean, don't you see how ridiculous that sounds? How can you argue that Northern Ireland isn't a failure if you are using it to promote division in the people that are from there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭PMBC

Enlighten me someone - whats GAWA?

My God... You're trying to tell me, a Derry man, that Northern Ireland isn't a failed state, while slagging me with the Northern Ireland team that I don't support... Even though me not supporting them shows its a failed state..

I mean, don't you see how ridiculous that sounds? How can you argue that Northern Ireland isn't a failure if you are using it to promote division in the people that are from there?

How can you argue that Northern Ireland isn't a failure if you are using it to promote division in the people that are from there?...with a football team ffs, that 'supposedly' has left all that behind.

downcow reveals himself yet again.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

PMBC wrote: »
    Enlighten me someone - whats GAWA?

Green and White Army i.e. The North's football team.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Five Eighth

irish_goat wrote: »
    Green and White Army i.e. The North's football team.
    That is something that always intrigued me - why do Northern Ireland play in green? The world over associates the wearing of the green with Ireland. Why don't they be true to themselves and play in red, white and blue or in their 6 county colours?

I have no idea the point you are making. I know people in Roi and England who support ni as opposed to their own nation. Does that make their nation a failed state?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,806 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

I have no idea the point you are making. I know people in Roi and England who support ni as opposed to their own nation. Does that make their nation a failed state?

There should be a vote for an all island soccer team.

• Advertisement

That is something that always intrigued me - why do Northern Ireland play in green? The world over associates the wearing of the green with Ireland. Why don't they be true to themselves and play in red, white and blue or in their 6 county colours?

The clue might be in the name Northern Ireland. You know, part of the Emerald Isle
    Many years ago we began the sea of green initiative’ to rid Windsor of any other colours. It has been incredibly successful and fans wear only Northern Ireland tops.
    What always intrigues ne is why sooo many Roi fans wear Celtic shirts. What’s that about? Why would irish football supporters following an Irish team wear jersey of a british team at games?

PS: I support NI when Irl is out.

Haha. And maybe there should be a vote Merseyside for an all Liverpool team, and Manchester,
    Much more likely to end up with an all uk team but I would not want it.

PS: I support NI when Irl is out.

That might explain your question

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I'd assume its because the team predates partition. Red, white and blue only became a unionist colour scheme in the later years. They've never been "official" colours up here.

Haha. And maybe there should be a vote Merseyside for an all Liverpool team, and Manchester,
    Much more likely to end up with an all uk team but I would not want it.

If we can do it in rugby why not in soccer?

And I’m a rugby fan, don’t give a fig about soccer.

The clue might be in the name Northern Ireland. You know, part of the Emerald Isle
    Many years ago we began the sea of green initiative’ to rid Windsor of any other colours. It has been incredibly successful and fans wear only Northern Ireland tops.
    What always intrigues ne is why sooo many Roi fans wear Celtic shirts. What’s that about? Why would irish football supporters following an Irish team wear jersey of a british team at games?

FFS, who are you trying to fool? Photo from 2019 v Czech Republic.

800px-Northern_Ireland_fans%2C_CZE-NIR_2019-10-14.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Five Eighth

Do you know the history of the Celtic football team and the Glasgow Irish? As for supporting a British club...the Irish immigrated to British cities like London, Birmingham, Manchester and Glasgow in great numbers and accepted they were in Britain and lived their lives under British law.

FFS, who are you trying to fool? Photo from 2019 v Czech Republic.

800px-Northern_Ireland_fans%2C_CZE-NIR_2019-10-14.jpg

Francie. I have scoured that picture and as far as I can see every single fane is wearing an ni shirt - apart from one nutter in a Man Utd shirt.
    That’s the very point I was making and wondering why so many Roi fans don’t wear the teams jersey to games?

I also see the two flags of my country plus a wee reminder that we are the current British champions.

• Advertisement

Francie. I have scoured that picture and as far as I can see every single fane is wearing an ni shirt - apart from one nutter in a Man Utd shirt.
    That’s the very point I was making and wondering why so many Roi fans don’t wear the teams jersey to games?

I also see the two flags of my country plus a wee reminder that we are the current British champions.

Yeh downcow...keep it up. Fooling no-one.

Everyone knows why you went green...piggybacking.

Advertisement