Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Ireland- a failure 99 years on?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,184 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

downcow wrote: »
    Very strange then that rumour is that all parties have accepted almost exactly the proposal made by Diane Dodds some days ago

Jaysus, where do you get your 'rumours'. The agreement is almost identical to the Alliance one but extended for one week instead of 2.

https://twitter.com/SJAMcBride/status/1326942614038384641

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Very strange then that rumour is that all parties have accepted almost exactly the proposal made by Diane Dodds some days ago

Not all of them. On the merry go round that is NI politics the Unionist/Alliance side accepted Dodd's proposal. Meanwhile SF who had called for restrictions to be extended voted against. Honestly that place is mad as a box of frogs.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ulster/2020/1112/1177614-stormont-covid-talks/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

My cat can call for a border poll if it wishes downcow.

Dublin cannot call a border poll. They can call for one as much and as loudly as they want to.

Your cat would have exactly the same power as your government on this issue

Folks we will need to pause this thread soon for a few hours as we all have big games on tonight.

Oh I forgot, your game is only big because you are playing a big team haha. Even though I have a soft spot for engerrlannd, I won’t be able to watch as we are busy trying to qualify. But enjoy your friendly 😂

Which nation was the failure????

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

The simple and more effective solution was all British Isles approach.

The one part of Ireland that currently operates under the jurisdiction of the neighbouring island (NI) is in a mess with COVID-19. Britain has one of the highest C19 death rates on Earth, and you think Ireland should follow their model?

You are incredibly frustrating to deal with you are so motivated by your hatred of the idea of Ireland as a single entity.

Regardless, you serve a very useful purpose of showing the neutral readers of the thread just how difficult it is for our fellow Irishmen and Irishwomen to deal with unionists in the north.

Rational people know this issue should be tackled in an all Ireland manner, I'm sure they realise too that a United Ireland is the only way to bring this relentless unionist wrecking to an end.

• Advertisement

The truth comes out. I was slated for suggesting it was not as simple as the dup were the problem.
    As I understand it the shinners are now isolated and on their own.
    Doesn’t fit with the nonsense that was talked over last few days here

Folks we will need to pause this thread soon for a few hours as we all have big games on tonight.

Oh I forgot, your game is only big because you are playing a big team haha. Even though I have a soft spot for engerrlannd, I won’t be able to watch as we are busy trying to qualify. But enjoy your friendly ��

I will be supporting the Irish teams tonight, who are you supporting? ;)

The truth comes out. I was slated for suggesting it was not as simple as the dup were the problem.

You best get onto the world's press on that one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 273 ✭✭Hqrry113

The one part of Ireland that currently operates under the jurisdiction of the neighbouring island (NI) is in a mess with COVID-19. Britain has one of the highest C19 death rates on Earth, and you think Ireland should follow their model?

You are incredibly frustrating to deal with you are so motivated by your hatred of the idea of Ireland as a single entity.

Regardless, you serve a very useful purpose of showing the neutral readers of the thread just how difficult it is for our fellow Irishmen and Irishwomen to deal with unionists in the north.

Rational people know this issue should be tackled in an all Ireland manner, I'm sure they realise too that a United Ireland is the only way to bring this relentless unionist wrecking to an end.

It's not his fault, his ancestors were trained to hate and oppress Irish culture hundreds of years ago when they were sent here.

His mindset is just what has been passed down through the generations.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Can anyone tell me the logic behind the DUP's stance without referring to SF?

They view Covid as God's will,

• Advertisement

I will be supporting the Irish teams tonight, who are you supporting? ;)

I think there is only one Irish team playing.
    I will be supporting Northern Ireland and hoping our two nearest neighbours get well beaten ie Scotland and Roi. Football supporters will understand that is not an unusual position and I have a special reason for wanting those two beaten

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Oh I forgot, your game is only big because you are playing a big team haha. Even though I have a soft spot for engerrlannd, I won’t be able to watch as we are busy trying to qualify. But enjoy your friendly ��

The absolute state of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

you do realise that the sdlp abstained, this was a farce from the DUP, risking the lives of people to score political points which is a disgrace. Anyway watch your team and your bigoted hatred of the republic is evident.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

Can we drop the football talk? Take it to the soccer forum if you're that enthused.

votecounts wrote: »
    you do realise that the sdlp abstained, this was a farce from the DUP, risking the lives of people to score political points which is a disgrace. Anyway watch your team and your bigoted hatred of the republic is evident.

Haven't gotten my head around what happened. SF voted against and the SDLP issued an attack letter blaming the DUP/SF (SF wanted further restrictions as per the CMO advce) and claiming they(SDLP) were for further restrictions too but abstained in the vote? WTF was that about?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

I think there is only one Irish team playing.
    I will be supporting Northern Ireland and hoping our two nearest neighbours get well beaten ie Scotland and Roi. Football supporters will understand that is not an unusual position and I have a special reason for wanting those two beaten

:pac: Hope you enjoyed the football pal.

Why did you want Scotland to lose? cos they have one or two Celtic players, they had a Rangers player as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Necro wrote: »
    Mod:

Can we drop the football talk? Take it to the soccer forum if you're that enthused.

Didn't see your post. Was funny that the other poster there brought it up and the most important results he wanted didn't happen. He brought it in irony there :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

AS SF voted against this and the SDLP abstained, should SF have used the petition of concern to veto as the DUP did the day before.

votecounts wrote: »
    AS SF voted against this and the SDLP abstained, should SF have used the petition of concern to veto as the DUP did the day before.

The problem for them was they couldn’t. They had lambasted the dup for doing it so there was no way even they could turn around and do it

The problem for them was they couldn’t. They had lambasted the dup for doing it so there was no way even they could turn around and do it

It is an abuse of the POC/Cross community veto in this way. Naomi Long is considering her position as Justice Minister over it.

The justice minister said she had warned before entering the executive in January 2020 about use of the cross-community vote, and continues to oppose it.

“I have asked people to desist from this abuse of power because it will make my position in the executive unsustainable,” said Mrs Long.

https://sluggerotoole.com/2020/11/12/bbc-report-naomi-long-considering-position-as-justice-minister/#more-133418

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

UEFA and FIFA should not let non countries like NI and England compete in international football. Merge the football teams into the one country that is the UK. Lets see how stronge and united the UK is then.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

Is this the Francie and Downcow Nordie thread ? They should concern themselves with their own problems and stop blaming the EU and The Republic of Ireland and Britain for all their problems.

Scoondal wrote: »
    Is this the Francie and Downcow Nordie thread ? They should concern themselves with their own problems and stop blaming the EU and The Republic of Ireland and Britain for all their problems.

I am not blaming anyone for anything. I am very happy with life in the UK. So no idea what you are getting at.

If by 'Nordie' you mean I am in the partitioned part of Ireland, you are wrong. I am from the northern part of Ireland - Monaghan.

If by 'Nordie' you mean I am in the partitioned part of Ireland, you are wrong. I am from the northern part of Ireland - Monaghan.

You should feel chuffed to be mistaken for a nordie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

They are arguably the most qualified to comment on NI and their differing views are fascinating imo.

RobMc59 wrote: »
    They are arguably the most qualified to comment on NI and their differing views are fascinating imo.

Now you’ve got me worried rob :0 Could I be as delusional as Francie only coming from a different perspective.
    I will have to reflect on this :)

You should feel chuffed to be mistaken for a nordie.

I'd be chuffed to be taken as being from any part of Ireland downcow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Now you’ve got me worried rob :0 Could I be as delusional as Francie only coming from a different perspective.
    I will have to reflect on this :)

No,you are always willing to listen to other points of view :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

RobMc59 wrote: »
    No,you are always willing to listen to other points of view :)

Now, that's delusion.

Advertisement