Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Ireland- a failure 99 years on?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

I think Brexit has exposed NI's dependence on trade with GB, although I also think it is an artificial dependence. When I hear these expressions of concern for the NI good supply from GB for example, I wonder have they not heard that they border one of the most food secure states on earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

I think Brexit has exposed NI's dependence on trade with GB, although I also think it is an artificial dependence. When I hear these expressions of concern for the NI good supply from GB for example, I wonder have they not heard that they border one of the most food secure states on earth.

Not sure what you are saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

downcow wrote: »
    Not sure what you are saying.

I think its another failure of NI.

I think Brexit has exposed NI's dependence on trade with GB, although I also think it is an artificial ‘dependence. When I hear these expressions of concern for the NI good supply from GB for example, I wonder have they not heard that they border one of the most food secure states on earth.

I hate to be the challenger of prejudice again. But you refer to our trading relationship with gb as ‘dependence’ I don’t understand?
    Would you describe Roi trading relationship with rest of Eu as ‘dependence’?

You wonder why we buy our produce from another region of our nation as opposed to importing from a neighbouring country ie Roi.
    Try to help me understand what you are saying

• Registered Users Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

If by 'Nordie' you mean I am in the partitioned part of Ireland, you are wrong. I am from the northern part of Ireland - Monaghan.

Sure everyone knows Francie Brady's from Monaghan, Clones to be precise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,184 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Sure everyone knows Francie Brady's from Monaghan, Clones to be precise.

'Carn' actually. ;)

'Carn' actually. ;)

Always thought it was Clones where McCabe is from

Fictional town of Carn.

Fictional town of Carn.

Good to know. Been a while since I saw the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

That's an obvious Lack(y) of knowledge on your part there citizen. :P

• Advertisement

Hate to be pedantic but that'd be Lack(ey) Bonnie. ;)

Don't get the lack(y) reference BonnieSituation. Explain or the Wolf will be there directly.

Don't get the lack(y) reference BonnieSituation. Explain or the Wolf will be there directly.

https://www.google.com/search?q=lackey+bridge+fermanagh&oq=lackey+bridge&aqs=chrome.0.0i457j69i57j0i22i30l2.10208j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

You Butcher boyed that one bonnie :pac:

It's a townland in Fermanagh north of Clones and Drumard and west of Burdautien.

The road north from the stadium that forks to the right at Millbrook is in essence Lacky Road and turns into same when it crosses the border.

@Francie, I've only ever come across it officially as Lacky, but sure it's Ireland it may well have another 8 or 9 spellings. :)

It's a townland in Fermanagh north of Clones and Drumard and west of Burdautien.

The road north from the stadium that forks to the right at Millbrook is in essence Lacky Road and turns into same when it crosses the border.

@Francie, I've only ever come across it officially as Lacky, but sure it's Ireland it may well have another 8 or 9 spellings. :)

Had to check there and you are right Bonnie, it seems to lose the 'e' as it crosses the border, Roslea gains and 's' though..

Had to check there and you are right Bonnie, it seems to lose the 'e' as it crosses the border, Roslea gains and 's' though..

Ye Monaghanians love an extra superfluous letter. Bloody Castleblayney. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Just to throw a total spanner in the works, as a Fermanagh local, I've always spelled it with the e!

Fionn1952 wrote: »
    Just to throw a total spanner in the works, as a Fermanagh local, I've always spelled it with the e!

A southern lackey! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

A southern lackey! :)

T'was always spelled thusly in the Fermanagh Herald if my memory serves, Francie!

Fionn1952 wrote: »
    T'was always spelled thusly in the Fermanagh Herald if my memory serves, Francie!

That's good to know.

Its proximity to the border formed a major part of my dissertation and I took it as Lacky based on the on the OSNI/Royal Mail spelling, for consistency even if it jarred.

It's noted that in a lot of places, there were "e"'s missing from official place names, ie. from an Irishman's eyes. Likewise, Kilroosky (official) vs. Kilrooskey (more correct to my Dublin eyes).

I didn’t read the article in detail but I know it was common practice. But do I hint that you at least accepted it happened?
    Some of your mates must have Jack Charlton autobiography and I think he confirms it.
    But you guys really need to take a big long look at yourselves. You are focused on one game in 1993 and can’t even name anything that happened and now you are saying that because the Roi players didn’t celebrate the murder of our people before ‘every’ game then it’s ok.

Here we go. Some of you wanted to deny that the ROI football team played songs in their team bus on the way to games, about killing policemen. I think we got to a point where you accepted that despicable behaviour was happening.

Well here we are - seems it is alive and well in the ROI football team of 2020 - absolutely disgraceful - can you just imagine if this happened within the Northern Ireland team?
    https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/fai-launch-investigation-into-political-video-message-shown-to-ireland-players-ahead-of-england-clash-39767596.html

Here we go. Some of you wanted to deny that the ROI football team played songs in their team bus on the way to games, about killing policemen. I think we got to a point where you accepted that despicable behaviour was happening.

Well here we are - seems it is alive and well in the ROI football team of 2020 - absolutely disgraceful - can you just imagine if this happened within the Northern Ireland thing?
    https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/fai-launch-investigation-into-political-video-message-shown-to-ireland-players-ahead-of-england-clash-39767596.html

Are you assuming it was sectarian? Don't think anyone knows what the content was.
    Primetime here covering it in the next hour. We'll see have they any info.

If it was what the are saying on Twitter 'a 3 minute montage of Anglo-Irish history mixed with goals scored', don't really see why anyone would get offended. Our history is our history.
    I'd be more worried about the state of the two teams on the island myself. 'United in mediocrity'

Here he comes obsessing over the Irish team again. The way you ran in here with that tail between your legs might give you a hernia.

You didn't have find that story quick. Is this the latest topic you've been given by your local loyalist bigot chapter?

I suppose all your bravado from last week has come to naught as you wind your way down to Nations League C and you need something, anything to have a go at "themmuns". Pathetic.

Are you assuming it was sectarian? Don't think anyone knows what the content was.
    Primetime here covering it in the next hour. We'll see have they any info.

If it was what the are saying on Twitter 'a 3 minute montage of Anglo-Irish history mixed with goals scored', don't really see why anyone would get offended. Our history is our history.
    I'd be more worried about the state of the two teams on the island myself. 'United in mediocrity'

If you re correct then that is fine. But they have form for using sectarian stuff to get the team up for games.

Here he comes obsessing over the Irish team again. The way you ran in here with that tail between your legs might give you a hernia.

You didn't have find that story quick. Is this the latest topic you've been given by your local loyalist bigot chapter?

I suppose all your bravado from last week has come to naught as you wind your way down to Nations League C and you need something, anything to have a go at "themmuns". Pathetic.

It’s not a football issue as I was warned not to debate football on here. Rather it demonstrates to us nordies the mentality of large numbers down here who in another breath tell us how we will be respected in a united island lol

It’s not a football issue as I was warned not to debate football on here. Rather it demonstrates to us nordies the mentality of large numbers down here who in another breath tell us how we will be respected in a united island lol

Won't be any different to how it is now. There will be your version of history and our version.

Work away as long as you keep the hate and sectarianism out of it.

Won't be any different to how it is now. There will be your version of history and our version.

Work away as long as you keep the hate and sectarianism out of it.

You do know I assume that your new manager has publicly supported one of the most sectarian and cruel terrorists in Northern Irelands history. It’s a matter of record. Let me know if you need the link.

• Advertisement

How inclusive you are.

Impressive use of a tar-brush.

Advertisement