Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Ireland- a failure 99 years on?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

jm08 wrote: »
    ....saying that unionists need psychiatric help to realise that they are Irish is probably offensive to unionists, its not sectarian.

Oh deary me. Embarrassing but enlightening

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

None of The Cairo Gang were from your 'wee country' downcow.

We can add geography, and history to the economy another examples of failure in the last century I guess.

The engagement on this matter has been disgraceful.

After certain posters didn't condemn the killing at a football match of innocent match goers and indeed a player, that should have been the end of the discussion. There's no point Francie. Don't bother.

Necro wrote: »
    Gerry Adams was a priest now?

Not a fair comparison to the Reverend Paisley tbh.

I was responding to his direct question.

Paisley like Adams was relevant in Northern Ireland due to his involvement in politics and potentially other dodgy stuff.
    They were both practised their religions but neither were very relevant or had many followers religiously

We can add geography, and history to the economy another examples of failure in the last century I guess.

After certain posters didn't condemn the killing at a football match of innocent match goers and indeed a player, that should have been the end of the discussion. There's no point Francie. Don't bother.

Bonnie don’t be appealing to Francie now on this. You guys attended different schools and are diametrically opposed on this issue.
    He has accepted a link between the killings and you have stated that there was absolutely no link.

I’d love you two guys to have the balls to debate that publicly here for us. There would be real learning in that for me and I’d be honoured for you to let me watch.

I have just publicly disagreed with Lucy. Do you guy have the balls. I doubt it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

downcow wrote: »
    I was responding to his direct question.

Paisley like Adams was relevant in Northern Ireland due to his involvement in politics and potentially other dodgy stuff.
    They were both practised their religions but neither were very relevant or had many followers religiously

Adams didn't have a pulpit. He was banned from the airwaves up to the 1990s, so no, he couldn't have been preaching hate.

• Advertisement

jm08 wrote: »
    Adams didn't have a pulpit. He was banned from the airwaves up to the 1990s, so no, he couldn't have been preaching hate.

Something else that it suits people to distort. At its peak the Free Presbyterian C of Ulster had less than 0.5% of the population as members. You would think they way it is often reported that it was somehow A major denomination

• Registered Users Posts: 69,185 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Francie is correct and the UN have made a mistake drawing the international borders ��

Nothing you have linked to or said will ever change the fact that the Cairo Gang were NOT from your country downcow.

The people shot dead in Croke Park were most definitely from the country you and I call home - Ireland.

Something else that it suits people to distort. At its peak the Free Presbyterian C of Ulster had less than 0.5% of the population as members. You would think they way it is often reported that it was somehow A major denomination

Was Ian not a 'church leader' then?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

Was Ian not a 'church leader' then?

Was it a real church though or similar to his "PhD"? I wouldn't know much about the religion but can't anyone become a pastor and therefore a "church leader"?

jh79 wrote: »
    Was it a real church though or similar to his "PhD"? I wouldn't know much about the religion but can't anyone become a pastor and therefore a "church leader"?

What's a 'real' church?

His 'church building' here in County Monaghan was as real as the RC or COI one. As were the ones across the north.

• Advertisement

What's a 'real' church?

His 'church building' here in County Monaghan was as real as the RC or COI one. As were the ones across the north.

Was his church part of a wider organisation? It was my impression he was the self appointed leader of an organisation he created.

Was his church part of a wider organisation? It was my impression he was the self appointed leader of an organisation he created.

He coulda put it to a vote like Jesus did. 11-1 majority that was I think.

What has that got to do with anything?

Same as anything has to do with anything on here.

Note how the conversation has changed from our resident bigots condoning the killing at a football match of innocent people to one about how much of a religion is Free Presbyterianism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Northern Ireland don't have Stephen Kenny for their football manager.

vriesmays wrote: »
    Northern Ireland don't have Stephen Kenny for their football manager.

Such a hot take. Did you get the warm fuzzies typing that incisive piece of commentary?

You must be all chuffed with yourself.

Nothing really. Just didn't think outside of its own membership it was considered a real church.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

You need to change the record bonnie,you`re still churning out the same verbal diarrhea from last year-do you condemn all killings that happened that day?

RobMc59 wrote: »
    You need to change the record bonnie,you`re still churning out the same verbal diarrhea from last year-do you condemn all killings that happened that day?

Oh look, it's the guy who justified Bloody Sunday in Derry.

Sham.

Oh look, it's the guy who justified Bloody Sunday in Derry.

Sham.

So no answer to my question bonnie?Now why isn't that a surprise..

• Advertisement

If you weren't such a disingenuous poster you'd be funny.

If you weren't such a disingenuous poster you'd be funny.

Caught you out dead to rights so squirm and insult as much as you like, its plain for all to see by your refusal to answer a simple question.

RobMc59 wrote: »
    Caught you out dead to rights so squirm and insult as much as you like, its plain for all to see by your refusal to answer a simple question.

You think I'm squirming? Busy day in Ulster and Munster football being had here.

You're one of the worst posters I've ever come across on this entire board. Uninformed, biased and devoid of self awareness. I would say I have zero respect for you but that would be too much.

I have no interest in any demands or questions you have. The state of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

The British left India and many other colonies why did they not leave Ireland altogether rather than still holding onto a quarter of it ??
    We should have all stayed under british rule or had a United ireland not the fudge it ended up .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

LuasSimon wrote: »
    The British left India and many other colonies why did they not leave Ireland altogether rather than still holding onto a quarter of it ??
    We should have all stayed under british rule or had a United ireland not the fudge it ended up .

Formation of Pakistan occured after they left India. Another fcuk up.

Do you think Irish people should have left the USA, Canada and Australia?
    It’s a bit simplistic to say we should leave.

And Britain didn’t want to hold on to it. Th truth is that the majority of residents of ni wanted to remain in Britain. Very different from India etc

That is maybe one of the big successes of ni. It didn’t chuck out the people who had been there for 400 years and some for 1,000 plus. Even though republicans in Roi would like them to have been chucked out

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

That is maybe one of the big successes of ni. It didn’t chuck out the people who had been there for 400 years and some for 1,000 plus. Even though republicans in Roi would like them to have been chucked out

No. They only tried to burn the nationalists/Catholics out of NI.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 273 ✭✭Hqrry113

Do you think Irish people should have left the USA, Canada and Australia?
    It’s a bit simplistic to say we should leave.

And Britain didn’t want to hold on to it. Th truth is that the majority of residents of ni wanted to remain in Britain. Very different from India etc

Again you need to educate yourself on what people mean when they say the British should leave.

I'm sure you already know what it means but you're being purposefully ignorant.

• Advertisement

Hqrry113 wrote: »
    Again you need to educate yourself on what people mean when they say the British should leave.

I'm sure you already know what it means but you're being purposefully ignorant.

Downcow is British so why should he leave just because Ireland left?

Advertisement