Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Northern Ireland- a failure 99 years on?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,761 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

RobMc59 wrote: »
    Your reply suggests you see events on the morning of bloody sunday as acts of war-is that the case?

It took place during our War Of Independence. I think that is fairly obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,629 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Beltby wrote: »
    Sure they celebrate king billy and his troops killing catholics with a parade every year. Not only that, they used to ram their parades through catholic areas just to rub it in.

Check your history The pope celebrated king Billy’s victory more than most

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Beltby

downcow wrote: »
    Check your history The pope celebrated king Billy’s victory more than most

The point is you and your community celebrate it while asking the other side to condemn this that and the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

I didn't see these incidents as 'war' which is why I thought all deaths that day were terrible.
    If on the other hand as you suggest they are acts of war whether conventional or guerrilla surely you have to accept there may be collateral damage which may include civilians.
    British people have always accepted there will be civilian casualties in war.

I didn't see these incidents as 'war' which is why I thought all deaths that day were terrible.
    If on the other hand as you suggest they are acts of war whether conventional or guerrilla surely you have to accept there may be collateral damage which may include civilians.
    British people have always accepted there will be civilian casualties in war.

Yes, which frequently allows your army to open fire on civilians and spend 40 years or more trying to pretend they fired first.

Tell us something we don't know Rob.

• Advertisement

Yes, which frequently allows your army to open fire on civilians and spend 40 years or more trying to pretend they fired first.

Tell us something we don't know Rob.

I was under the impression we where discussing events in November 1920,you said you saw that as war.

I was under the impression we where discussing events in November 1920,you said you saw that as war.

They happened during the War Of Independence. One was the assassination of soldiers the other the random killing of innocents.

Now off you go, justifying that action by a state. You were still at it (your state) 80 years later.

They happened during the War Of Independence. One was the assassination of soldiers the other the random killing of innocents.

Now off you go, justifying that action by a state. You were still at it (your state) 80 years later.

I`m not trying to justify anything and as I said think the deaths on that day were all terrible,not just selectively terrible.

I`m not trying to justify anything and as I said think the deaths on that day were all terrible,not just selectively terrible.
    War is terrible but if you cannot distinguish the difference between the two acts then I despair for you. I often wonder how British and American people justify what their armies do in their name.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

surely you have to accept there may be collateral damage which may include civilians.

Now now Rob, if the IRA had sprayed gunfire into spectators at a sports event in London I'm sure the only word you'd be using to describe it is 'terrorism'.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 273 ✭✭Hqrry113

War is terrible but if you cannot distinguish the difference between the two acts then I despair for you. I often wonder how British and American people justify what their armies do in their name.

Probably because it doesn't get shoved down their throats in the media and they barely if ever even hear about it.

Now now Rob, if the IRA had sprayed gunfire into spectators at a sports event in London I'm sure the only word you'd be using to describe it is 'terrorism'.

If you go to war,there will always be collateral damage whether any of us like it or not.

If you go to war,there will always be collateral damage whether any of us like it or not.

That you can't even unequivocally call out a barbarous war crime that many of your fellow country men and women found unpalatable at the time speaks volumes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

"Collateral damage"

What a disgusting individual

Beltby wrote: »
    The point is you and your community celebrate it while asking the other side to condemn this that and the other.

Yes we do celebrate it. But it was a European war and the reason we celebrate it is because it was the beginnings of democracy winning over total authority of the monarch.
    You should all celebrate it.

Rob you have Francie ties in knots. His hypocrisy always unravels.

Yes we do celebrate it. But it was a European war and the reason we celebrate it is because it was the beginnings of democracy winning over total authority of the monarch.
    You should all celebrate it.

So you set up a bigoted sectarian state that went up in flames eventually because of your brand of 'democracy'?

Yeh ok downcow, got ya. :rolleyes:

That you can't even unequivocally call out a barbarous war crime that many of your fellow country men and women found unpalatable at the time speaks volumes.

That’s rich coming from you Francie

"Collateral damage"

You`ve obviously never lost any relatives in battle or have any military experience-horrible but that`s what happens in war.

That’s rich coming from you Francie

'Beginnings of democracy winning over the monarchy'...can't believe you actually committed that to type.

• Advertisement

"Collateral damage"

I think you will find that it was Francie who implied it was an act of war which inevitably makes it collateral damage.

I wouldn’t agree it was an act of war. Decent people were of fighting the Nazis in a real war while miserable little republicans tried to take advantage of the situation.

I think you will find that it was Francie who implied it was an act of war which inevitably makes it collateral damage.

I wouldn’t agree it was an act of war. Decent people were of fighting the Nazis in a real war while miserable little republicans tried to take advantage of the situation.

I said it was a 'barbarous war crime' downcow. Seeing what you want to see again?

Decent people were of fighting the Nazis in a real war while miserable little republicans tried to take advantage of the situation.

For the head of your armed forces who is the monarch. The old victory over the monarch didn't last long did it? :):)

'Beginnings of democracy winning over the monarchy'...can't believe you actually committed that to type.

I can’t believe you don’t know this Francie. I think you may have been a natural King Billy supporter in 1688

Wikipedia also committed it to print.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_of_Rights_1689

You did say it was war francie,I agree with Downcow that it was`nt war which is why I think all killings that day were terrible.

I said it was a 'barbarous war crime' downcow. Seeing what you want to see again?

Would you describe the killing of the two corporals at the ira funeral as a ‘barbarous war crime’?

You did say it was war francie,I agree with Downcow that it was`nt war which is why I think all killings that day were terrible.

It happened during The War of Independence is what I said. Those innocent people were not at war.
    You should remember that when you are condoning the random shooting into crowds of innocent people. Might mean your PM and Queen don't have to keep apologising.

Would you describe the killing of the two corporals at the ira funeral as a ‘barbarous war crime’?

I describe that as a barbarous murder downcow that was wrong just as every act of violence in the conflict/war was wrong.

I can’t believe you don’t know this Francie. I think you may have been a natural King Billy supporter in 1688

Wikipedia also committed it to print.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_of_Rights_1689

I know what it was about downcow, but I also know what the sectarian Orange Order has done with it and what Unionism has done to democracy on this island.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Mask really slipping from the apologists for state sponsored terrorism in the last few pages, so entrenched in sectarianism that they can't admit the state failed utterly to control their own forces. Described kids being shot by state troops as 'collateral damage', they should take a break from posting for awhile and have a chat with themselves.

Advertisement