Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Ireland- a failure 99 years on?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,207 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I don't like nonsense.

Sure isn't the leader if Unionism in 21st Century Ireland on record as saying she'd leave if there was a United Ireland? Same oul crap, if they can't be in charge they don't want to be here, the ol' colonial mindset is hard to let go of.

The 'ownership' complex downcow keeps revealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Bottom line: they were abandoned specifically because Unionists wanted a state where they would be dominant. When they achieved that they changed the system of voting to ensure they had dominance and the rest is history.

Surely that is exactly the reason the 26 counties wanted to break from the United Kingdom. The only differences you guys like to make yourselves believe that you are somehow pure and squeakyclean

downcow wrote: »
    Surely that is exactly the reason the 26 counties wanted to break from the United Kingdom. The only differences you guys like to make yourselves believe that you are somehow pure and squeakyclean

Rubbish again. We wanted to control our own country and not be subject to the whims of Westminster who never had and still don't care one bit about this island. . Nobody was excluded from that. Nor did we gerrymander constituencies to keep a religious persuasion in power.

There were people driven out all over the island. Nothing unusual and nobody is saying it didn't happen on all sides.

So let’s say Francie if you really believe what you said.
    Could I encourage you to try and say the words “Protestants were driven out of the Republic of Ireland simply because they were Protestants”. It would do you the world of good to say it.
    ….. And before you ask, I have no difficulty in saying that Catholics were driven out of certain areas simply because they were catholic.
    I would love to hear you not give us riddles but admit the reality without feeling the need to do any whataboutery

Rubbish again. We wanted to control our own country and not be subject to the whims of Westminster who never had and still don't care one bit about this island. . Nobody was excluded from that. Nor did we gerrymander constituencies to keep a religious persuasion in power.

Well, didn’t you get what you wanted. You created your own little oppressive RC sectarian state and separated yourself from a nation of 60 million people. Why is that not enough for you? Why do you want to continue trying to grab more? If you had Northern Ireland would you then want a little bit of Wales, or maybe the Isle of Man? Take your little sectarian state and enjoy it and leave the rest of us alone to get on with living in a multicultural nation of 60 million people

• Advertisement

Well, didn’t you get what you wanted. You created your own little oppressive RC sectarian state and separated yourself from a nation of 60 million people. Why is that not enough for you? Why do you want to continue trying to grab more? If you had Northern Ireland would you then want a little bit of Wales, or maybe the Isle of Man? Take your little sectarian state and enjoy it and leave the rest of us alone to get on with living in a multicultural nation of 60 million people

Not grabbing anything.

Again with the 'ownership' thing. There are people living there who want a UI too downcow. When they vote for a UI, I will support them in that aim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Rolo2010

We separated ourselves from a nation of 60 million which oppressed Irish people for hundreds of years. The UK perfected sectarianism when they brought in the Penal Laws and stripped land from Catholics. We don't want Wales or the Isle of Man. I'd say that your just a troll at this point and you shouldn't be bother commenting here if you hate Irish people so much. I'm guessing you created that troll account and posted that crap a few pages back because you both used similar language.

Rolo2010 wrote: »
    We separated ourselves from a nation of 60 million which oppressed Irish people for hundreds of years. The UK perfected sectarianism when they brought in the Penal Laws and stripped land from Catholics. We don't want Wales or the Isle of Man. I'd say that your just a troll at this point and you shouldn't be bother commenting here if you hate Irish people so much. I'm guessing you created that troll account and posted that crap a few pages back because you both used similar language.

Interesting perspective from you. The big bad brits and the wee helpless Irish.

Take a wee look at the regions of Ireland that have been most affluent in productive over last few hundred years and look at where they sit geographically with GB. Now tell me Britain has not been good for ireland.

As for me having two accounts, I think you should leave the moderating to the moderators. I am sure they have ways of identifying such activity.
    My mum always said “as you live yourself, you dread your neighbour”. Often very true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Solutionking

saabsaab wrote: »
    I don't think you are right we are not so much attached to the RC church anymore look at the abortion referendum result.

We have access to money and there would be more available from the EU to pay for a united Ireland.
    As percentage the aging population would be the same, in comparison with the EU we have a lot of younger people.
    We are no more racist than any other nation and I’ve never encountered a problem with religion.
    Our public sector is not too bad look at how it has handled the corona crisis.
    As for SF have corporations left en masse in the north? No.

Personally experience, children are all going to get communion. Entire class was going bar 3 kids, parents not from Ireland. They had a parent meeting to discuss and parents showed up because 3 children felt left out(getting bullied for been "different")
    Told by the school and priest to get them baptised quickly and they could join in, otherwise they couldn't attend anything going on in the school. Told them to leave the meeting as well. That the Ireland of today moved on from RC church. Our way or you are treated as outcasts at 8-9 years of age. Just read this thread to show racism against religion.

Racism, just read across this forum. Religion, skin colour, eastern european and just anyone from Europe, Irish are racist against. The fact people don't understand racism doesn't suddenly mean its not racist.

You do realise the public sector is a bit bigger than the HSE? how well is Tusla running? it's a shambles.

SF want to change the corporate tax, yes corporations will leave en masse and discussed multiple time,

This pot of gold that is supposed to appear from Europe, when exactly has this ever been confirmed or mentioned by anyone? because I can't find any confirmation anywhere

Personally experience, children are all going to get communion. Entire class was going bar 3 kids, parents not from Ireland. They had a parent meeting to discuss and parents showed up because 3 children felt left out(getting bullied for been "different")
    Told by the school and priest to get them baptised quickly and they could join in, otherwise they couldn't attend anything going on in the school. Told them to leave the meeting as well. That the Ireland of today moved on from RC church. Our way or you are treated as outcasts at 8-9 years of age. Just read this thread to show racism against religion.

Racism, just read across this forum. Religion, skin colour, eastern european and just anyone from Europe, Irish are racist against. The fact people don't understand racism doesn't suddenly mean its not racist.

You do realise the public sector is a bit bigger than the HSE? how well is Tusla running? it's a shambles.

SF want to change the corporate tax, yes corporations will leave en masse and discussed multiple time,

This pot of gold that is supposed to appear from Europe, when exactly has this ever been confirmed or mentioned by anyone? because I can't find any confirmation anywhere

There doesn't have to be a 'pot of gold' that I can see. A UI will require support from those who have a vested interest in it succeeding and that will include the UK, who as much as anyone will want a UI to succeed.
    From January, a dedicated officer will cover Northern Ireland, Britain and the issues that overlap into the Republic, The Irish Times understands. Border issues will naturally be part of that remit.

“We are getting all these reports about dissatisfaction in Scotland, changing opinions in Northern Ireland,” a Brussels source said. “Of course we are following.”

When it comes to Irish unity, views are broadly benevolent across Europe, partly the legacy of decades of popular culture in which the Irish national struggle has been romantically portrayed.

“The Irish tend to be framed, to put it very crudely, as the good guys,” said Alexander Clarkson, lecturer in German and European and International Studies at King’s College London.

European political parties on the left tend to view unification positively, while in the wake of Brexit those that lean right have increasingly come to view it as pragmatic and more of a question of “when” than “if”.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/shared-island-how-eu-would-react-to-irish-unity-referendum-1.4347975

By the way, the EU want change in how corporations pay their way (or don't pay their way, whatever you are having yourself). Corporations need the EU and need to be in it to prosper. It isn't an either or situation there and you are scaremongering.

• Advertisement

There doesn't have to be a 'pot of gold' that I can see. A UI will require support from those who have a vested interest in it succeeding and that will include the UK, who as much as anyone will want a UI to succeed.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/shared-island-how-eu-would-react-to-irish-unity-referendum-1.4347975

By the way, the EU want change in how corporations pay their way (or don't pay their way, whatever you are having yourself). Corporations need the EU and need to be in it to prosper. It isn't an either or situation there and you are scaremongering.

The EU wants change and we have to do what the EU wants?

New stance from SF now we should bend over for the EU?

It seems like the wind SF policies change

New stance from SF now we should bend over for the EU?

It seems like the wind SF policies change

Change is inevitable SK, IMO because these disgustingly wealthy corporations should pay their way like everyone else is expected to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

We are the EU.

Change is inevitable SK, IMO because these disgustingly wealthy corporations should pay their way like everyone else is expected to do.

You can't beat the SF supporter who hates everyone who has a job and tries to support their family.
    Do you also call people that work in MNC's partitionist and beligernet unionist?

You can't beat the SF supporter who hates everyone who has a job and tries to support their family.

Honestly, where in the world did that nonsense come from?
    Do you also call people that work in MNC's partitionist and beligernet unionist?

What?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

N.ireland is a failed state and is getting worse.
    Their Covid response is absolutely shambolic.

As of last weekend there were 5 times as many patients in hospital with Covid per head of population compared to the south and almost 4 times as many in ICU.

Its best option for the future is to join with the south.
    Great Britian doesn't even want it.

The reunification of the island is inevitable. Just a matter of time.

Rodin wrote: »
    N.ireland is a failed state and is getting worse.
    Their Covid response is absolutely shambolic.

As of last weekend there were 5 times as many patients in hospital with Covid per head of population compared to the south and almost 4 times as many in ICU.

Its best option for the future is to join with the south.
    Great Britian doesn't even want it.

The reunification of the island is inevitable. Just a matter of time.

I haven’t looked at the stats for ages but I know it was swinging backwards and forwards. You have also just been in 6 weeks lockdown, I thought.

It will be interesting to see who gets the vaccines rolled out first. I don’t know who will but it will just be interesting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Beltby

I haven’t looked at the stats for ages but I know it was swinging backwards and forwards. You have also just been in 6 weeks lockdown, I thought.

It will be interesting to see who gets the vaccines rolled out first. I don’t know who will but it will just be interesting
    It will be interesting to see which region of the uk gets the vaccine last. I don't know which one it will be, but it will just be interesting.

Beltby wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see which region of the uk gets the vaccine last. I don't know which one it will be, but it will just be interesting.

Indeed. I guess your implication is that owc will be at the end of the queue, which we should all expect if the comments on here are accurate about how ni is disadvantaged in the UK. I would take a wager owc will not be at the end of the wueue

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Interesting perspective from you. The big bad brits and the wee helpless Irish.

Take a wee look at the regions of Ireland that have been most affluent in productive over last few hundred years and look at where they sit geographically with GB. Now tell me Britain has not been good for ireland.

As for me having two accounts, I think you should leave the moderating to the moderators. I am sure they have ways of identifying such activity.
    My mum always said “as you live yourself, you dread your neighbour”. Often very true.

Basically, under British rule, most of Ireland was a poverty stricken, agricultural country that suffered several famines despite growing mostly food which resulted in millions of Irish people emigrating (i.e., nearly all the prominent political Irish-Americans left Ireland during the Great Famine in 1840s (from both sides in the US). The prosperous part of Ireland was in the North East where the Industrial Revolution was embraced.

In most recent times, according to the EU, Ireland's Southern Region (they are based on the European Parliament boundaries) is the third richest region in the EU (after parts of London and Luxembourg). Average GDP is €74,700. Ireland Midlands and East is 5th (€64,000 GDP). Northern Ireland's GDP is (€27,200).

While the UK is an important export market for Food, Ireland's most important export market is the US.
    • United States: US$52.2 billion (30.8% of Ireland's total exports)
    • Belgium: $17.6 billion (10.4%)
    • United Kingdom: $17.5 billion (10.3%)
    • Germany: $15 billion (8.8%)
    • Netherlands: $9.8 billion (5.7%)
    • China: $9.2 billion (5.4%)
    And of course, Ireland imports more from the UK than it exports to it. Ireland is one of the few countries that the UK actually has a positive trade balance with to the tune of US$10.3 billion in 2019.

These are the countries that Ireland has a trading surplus with (2019):
    1. United States: US$38.5 billion (country-specific trade surplus in 2019)
    2. Belgium: $15.2 billion
    3. Germany: $6.2 billion
    4. China: $5.7 billion
    5. Netherlands: $5.2 billion
    6. Switzerland: $3.9 billion
    7. Italy: $2.9 billion
    8. Japan: $2.3 billion
    9. Mexico: $1.4 billion
    10. Canada: $1.1 billion
    http://www.worldstopexports.com/irelands-top-import-partners/

Here is a link to the UK's: http://www.worldstopexports.com/united-kingdoms-top-import-partners/

• Advertisement

Republic's stats were better on entering lockdown than the north's even are now.
    Ineffectual leadership in the north and the DUP playing politics with people's health.

Republic's stats were better on entering lockdown than the north's even are now.
    Ineffectual leadership in the north and the DUP playing politics with people's health.

Robin does news from the north not reach you down there.
    Yes the compulsory coalition just does not work and leads to constant fighting.
    The party that has behaved disgracefully throughout this is sf. But I don’t expect you to accept it. The funerals were just a tiny bit of it.

Robin does news from the north not reach you down there.
    Yes the compulsory coalition just does not work and leads to constant fighting.
    The party that has behaved disgracefully throughout this is sf. But I don’t expect you to accept it. The funerals were just a tiny bit of it.

Sinn Fein are responsible for the shocking number of people affected, in hospital and in ICU?

Is that you Mr Poots?
    Catch yourself on.

Sinn Fein are responsible for the shocking number of people affected, in hospital and in ICU?

Is that you Mr Poots?
    Catch yourself on.

Sf sent out emails to thousands of people inviting them to a wake and a funeral. It was attended by all their top brass. This was at the same time Michelle was telling everyone else that they could NOT attend friends funerals. She also said afterwards that sf done all they could to prevent people attending. They managed to hide the emails until last week.

Sf sent out emails to thousands of people inviting them to a wake and a funeral. It was attended by all their top brass. This was at the same time Michelle was telling everyone else that they could NOT attend friends funerals. She also said afterwards that sf done all they could to prevent people attending. They managed to hide the emails until last week.

That was start of July. Cases didn't take off until mid-September.

Put away your political bias and be a bit more objective.
    I don't like SF btw.
    DUP blocked lockdown 2 weeks ago. Disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

Dem Catholics are horid people

cant wait til the Brits are queuing at the food banks in the new year when no deal melts their economy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Sinbad_NI wrote: »
    What’s wrong, don’t you like the truth?

You should take a look at this documentary, it might help disabuse you of your Paisleyite views.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

• Advertisement

saabsaab wrote: »
    800 years of British influence

Advertisement