Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commala Harris

Options
  • 15-08-2020 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭

I've read her name many times and even said it aloud a few... Ka-MA-lah

Well, I misprounced it.

It's pronounced Comma-la.

Upon learning that, i was sure Kama-la would be acceptable.

Well, wrong again. It's actually a racist microagression to pronounce her name as anything other than comma-la once you've been told the correct pronunciation.

I think a lot of it comes down to regional dialect and regional pronunciation. To me, Comma-la sounds marble-mouthed. Like her parents were trying to be posh, but didn't want Americans to pronounce it coe-malla.

It's a lot like someone called Barbara saying "it's pronounced bawb-ra".. Also, please don't misgender me.

Or someone called Liam having a hissy because someone pronounced it Lee-um instead of Leem.

But when someone has a darker complexion, all of a sudden it's a racist microagression to use a suspect pronunciation that seems like someone else's regional pronunciation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I'm so sorry you've had to endure this horror

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭coolbeans

antix80 wrote: »

Well, I misprounced it.

Well, wrong again. It's actually a racist microagression to pronounce her name as anything other than comma-la once you've been told the correct pronunciation.

I think a lot of it comes down to regional dialect and regional pronunciation. To me, Comma-la sounds marble-mouthed. Like her parents were trying to be posh, but didn't want Americans to pronounce it coe-malla.

It's a lot like someone called Barbara saying "it's pronounced bawb-ra".. Also, please don't misgender me.

Or someone called Liam having a hissy because someone pronounced it Lee-um instead of Leem.

But when someone has a darker complexion, all of a sudden it's a racist microagression to use a suspect pronunciation that seems like someone else's regional pronunciation.

I wouldn't worry about it, this is an American issue propagated by outraged Fox News hypocrites like Tucker Carlson. It's part of a game, don't let yourself be so easily outraged. You're just a pawn and they're laughing at how easy it is to manipulate you.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,105 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Well, I misprounced it.

What the heck are you on about?
    Who exactly pulled you up on your supposed "racist microagression"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

I've been calling her Crandall! Why didn't someone tell me!? Oh, I've been makin' an idiot out of myself....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Well, I misprounced it.

What's it like being this incredibly lonely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,523 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Her mother's name was Shyamala, so I'm presuming her name is connected to this. Anyone can mispronounce a name but if operate in the media, you make sure you get it right before going on air. Deliberately messing with someone's name is a basic disrespect.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

What kind of person deliberately chooses to keep mispronouncing someone's name?

I can well imagine why they assumed you're a racist, you'd get similar s*hit from racist English people when they see an Irish name like Aoife or Caoimhe

• Registered Users Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

The easiest thing to do is treat it like any other word and pronounce it how it's spelt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Water John wrote: »
    Her mother's name was Shyamala, so I'm presuming her name is connected to this. Anyone can mispronounce a name but if operate in the media, you make sure you get it right before going on air. Deliberately messing with someone's name is a basic disrespect.

I think you're talking about Tucker Carlson. In fairness, it's hilarious when he pronounces Don Lemon as Don Lé-mon. I'm not sure it's the same thing with Kamala.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Water John wrote: »

True, you don't see them calling John Boehner (he likes it to pronounced Bay-ner for obvious reasons, even though it is a stretch) anything but Bayner. Same with the Koch brothers whose name is always pronounced 'Coke' even though it's obviously Cock.
    However, the minute a black woman presidential candidate starts getting uppity with pronunciation requests we get kickback and disproportionate outrage from angry wasp men. It doesn't take a genius to work out why that is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

#BirtherControversyWarning

I think it's not her birth cert name. It's a bastardisation of her nickname from her younger days when she was a bit of a good time girl. Her stage name was ComeAllYa Harris, legendary offspring of Richard Harris and Grace Jones. Wild as f*CK.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,555 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

You can discuss the election here

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement