Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish TV over IPTV

• 16-08-2020 12:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭

Is there a legitimate way to get the irish tv channels (basically saorview) over iptv for free? If so what box would I need to buy/details would I need to put in to get it? I ask because my house is wired with ethernet and has data points at the tv but not tv cable. I don't have an aerial either.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

daraghwal wrote: »
    Is there a legitimate way to get the irish tv channels (basically saorview) over iptv for free? If so what box would I need to buy/details would I need to put in to get it? I ask because my house is wired with ethernet and has data points at the tv but not tv cable. I don't have an aerial either.

Not for free, no. There are paid options from Vodafone and eir

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

While you won’t get everything, a large chunk of RTE programmes are streamed through the Live section on the RTE Player. TG4 streams live through its player app also. A Chromecast will do to get either on a tv screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭patq16

The latest Now tv stick has the Rte player and Virgin media players built in and give some Live Tv too. Plenty adds and a bit glitchy but still useable. . There is a Firestick app for Rte player that has no adds though .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

patq16 wrote: »
    The latest Now tv stick has the Rte player and Virgin media players built in and give some Live Tv too. Plenty adds and a bit glitchy but still useable. . There is a Firestick app for Rte player that has no adds though .

I think your a bit mixed up. No such thing as a firestick app. No such thing as an rte player app for firestick either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭bassy

IrishHomer wrote: »
    I think your a bit mixed up. No such thing as a firestick app. No such thing as an rte player app for firestick either.

i have it on my firestick,its a special apk for rte player that some one put together.

• Advertisement

I'm afraid tis your mixed up as 100% I have the Rte Player on my firestick and it is add free.. ðŸ‘

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭bassy

I'm afraid tis your mixed up as 100% I have the Rte Player on my firestick and it is add free.. ðŸ‘

patq16 whats the vod app on your stick?.pm if not allowed post here,cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

That unofficial rte player apk is a waste of time on firestick don't bother

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭wassie

I think it depends which APK version you have installed. I found it too much hassle and ended up getting a NowTV stick half price for €20 (often on sale) so had RTE player & VirginMedia apps.
    Not for free, no. There are paid options from Vodafone and eir

VirginMedia also does IPTV. Never had Eir, but I found the VirginMedia STB visually looks better, but was ridiculously slow to start up from sleep. Vodafone box is cheap, but found it their TV product was good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭wassie

@daraghwal - do you have an aerial or satellite point anywhere in your house at all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,329 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You can bake your own IPTV setup:

Aerial in attic (strong signal area) or on roof

Raspberry Pi with Libreelec & TVHeadend installed, and two MyGica TV tuner USB sticks. Connected to ethernet.

TVs connect with ethernet or wifi - Kodi app on the smart TV, Raspberry Pis running Libreelec connected to the non-smart TVs.

You can add satellite to the setup too with a dish and a Sat>IPTV box.

A NAS (or any storage the TVHeadend box can see) will allow recording.

Scrap the cap!

The Rte Apk I have is not the mobile version it is a modded version specifically for the firestick and works exactly as it should..To be honest though for the sake of €25 the Now tv stick is a steal as it has rte player. Virgin media player and All4 player .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

The Rte Apk I have is not the mobile version it is a modded version specifically for the firestick and works exactly as it should..To be honest though for the sake of €25 the Now tv stick is a steal as it has rte player. Virgin media player and All4 player .

Any chance you could PM me the details of that APK as the one I have on the Firestick constantly freezes

Any chance you could PM me the details of that APK as the one I have on the Firestick constantly freezes

Sent:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,797 ✭✭✭lertsnim

No ads and works every time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

www.ibox.ie - it’s not free but very reasonably priced. Has all the saorview channels plus a lot of the free to view satellite ones too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭keano25

Ant this way too please.. thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭dubrov

And me

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭boardz

Could you send to me as well please? Much obliged!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Could I get a copy of that PM aswell please? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

I have no idea what Iptv is but can someone pm details of where you get it and maybe which ones are best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭Pocaide

Would be very thankful if you could forward it on to me as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Thargor wrote: »
    Could I get a copy of that PM aswell please? Thanks.

You thanked the post but no pm?

Thargor wrote: »
    You thanked the post but no pm?

Think it sent this time. 👍

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I think this thread is gone off on a tangent which really isn’t what the OP had posted about. Nor am I comfortable about allowing further discussion of what is essentially an unsupported unofficial version of the RTE player. Thread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement