Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Rack recommendation

Options
  • 16-08-2020 1:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi Folks,

I’m a total newbie to cycling, so please be gentle! 😂
    I have 3 kids, aged 9, 6 and 3. The older two learned to cycle during the lockdown so we decided to upgrade their bikes and while we were at it get bikes for myself and my wife. We also got a bike seat for the 3 year old.
    So the plan is to go for some nice leisurely family cycles at the weekend. We did 6.5k today, for example.

However, we would like to have the freedom to take the bikes with us on the car and go for a cycle further afield.
    Which brings me to the topic of bike racks for the car.

I drive a Peugeot 5008 (new) and it does not have a tow bar.
    It seems to be almost impossible to get a 4-bike boot mounted rack and even if I got one, I’m not sure how the 6 year old’s bike would go on it as I assume the frame would be too small.
    Other options as I see it would be to get a tow bar fitted and buy a tow bar mounted rack, but that seems like a very expensive solution.
    Or to go for a mix of boot mounted and roof mounted. E.g. put the 2 kids bikes on the roof and the adult bikes on the boot mounted. For the roof mounted, do I need to buy a roof rack separately; or do the bike racks fit on onto the roof rails (where the roof rack would fit)?

The final thing to consider, I guess, is that the 3 year old will eventually be cycling on her own too, so we will (hopefully) need to evolve to carrying 5 bikes. So was thinking about maybe getting a 3-bike boot mounted with the two smallest on the roof.

I appreciate any advice as I have no clue what the best options are and I can’t imagine I’m the first person with 4 bikes and no tow bar!

Thanks,
    Brendan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

If you're planning on carrying 5 bikes at some point the best solution would be to go for a tow hitch and rack but as you say it's a lot of expense a little ceaper if you're handy on the tools and aren't afraid of cutting your bumper. Trade in the 5008 and buy yourself a pickup :D

As you say roof rails and bike racks for your two bikes then rear mounted rack for the kids bikes is probably the easiest option. Sea sucker could be another option for your bikes but they are quite pricey.

Whichever option I'd avoid carrying a load of bikes on the rear door mounted rack.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

If you intend to have the car for 5 years or more you would be better to invest in a tow bar and bike rack that can tilt.
    But you would want to be getting use out of it to justify the expense.

Putting bikes on the roof is not for me. Too many areas have those restricted height parking barriers plus if the bike is heavy it will be hard work getting it up on the roof.

With more and more greenways coming on stream you should get plenty of use out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

I have this and can get two adult and three kids bikes on it mounted on the back of a Ford S Max

https://www.mycycle.ie/Hollywood-F4-Heavy-Duty-4-Bike-Car-Rack-p/hollywoodf4.htm

It’s says it holds 4 but with some thought about the placing of the bikes you get 5

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Putting bikes on the roof is not for me. Too many areas have those restricted height parking barriers plus if the bike is heavy it will be hard work getting it up on the roof.

A good point there plenty of stories of broken bikes and damaged roof from underground car parks.
    With more and more greenways coming on stream you should get plenty of use out of it.

Also most of the carparks for these greenways have these restriction bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 jtf_ie

thomasm wrote: »
    I have this and can get two adult and three kids bikes on it mounted on the back of a Ford S Max

https://www.mycycle.ie/Hollywood-F4-Heavy-Duty-4-Bike-Car-Rack-p/hollywoodf4.htm

It’s says it holds 4 but with some thought about the placing of the bikes you get 5

Thanks. I saw that alright and had actually decided I’d get it, but couldn’t find it in stock anywhere. Manufacturer is out of it also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 jtf_ie

If you intend to have the car for 5 years or more you would be better to invest in a tow bar and bike rack that can tilt.
    But you would want to be getting use out of it to justify the expense.

Thanks. That’s part of why I’m hesitant to get the tow bar. I do PCP finance on my car (and have done for a while now) so trade in every 3 years, so would mean adding the expense of a tow bar every 3 years.

Advertisement