Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman pushed into Royal Canal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/dublin-gym-racist-attack-video-18780058

Coach Kavanagh will probably offer them 3 months free sessions so he can 'rehabilitate' them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

I give up on boards

Sometimes it seems that is the right thing to do tbh - just remember - we are (to each other) just random people on the internet. Sometimes it helps just need to remember that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

nthclare wrote: »
    As my friend who's a retired prison officers said to me, the prisoners in the 80's and 90's were gentleman and having conversations with some they used to say,if you think we're bad wait until you see what's coming after us.

The system is too soft on scumbags nowadays, back in the 80's and 90's vigilantes would sort this out, I know it's frowned upon by SJWs, lefties, shi tty parents and the ivory tower brigade.

But as the op posted enough is enough....

The prisoners in the 80s and 90s are these kids absent parents

• Registered Users Posts: 15,038 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

JeffKenna wrote: »
    One side of the coin is the Guards are powerless but the other is what use are they if they didn't even bother showing up when she rang?

They may have only been 1 or 2 cars covering the district and they may have been busy at calls already and by the time they attended she had left.

I think there's a serious lack of awareness amongst the public of just how hamstrung the Gardai are with numbers at times. There's a perception that there are always cars and Gardai available at the drop of a hat.

There's often one car on the go for districts containing several thousand people, not every call can be answered within minutes and if a prisoner is taken at a call that could be the car crew tied up for the day and a neighbouring district may have to cover both with their car. That's the reality folks. Speak to your TD's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

I give up on boards and Ireland.

Sorry I ever posted and sorry I ever opened my mouth about being harassed, attacked and bullied.

I give up! Totally give up! You’re all assholes.

Piece of advice, if you want to write something that you don’t want challenged, then use a diary.

Disclaimer: all posts are my own thoughts, I don’t represent boards or Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,434 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The prisoners in the 80s and 90s are these kids absent parents

Most of the kids I grew up with would have been better of if their parents were absent.

begbysback wrote: »
    Piece of advice, if you want to write something that you don’t want challenged, then use a diary.

Disclaimer: all posts are my own thoughts, I don’t represent boards or Ireland.

Does everything need to be "challenged" tho - it often detracts from the points being made and descends into petty minded point scoring?

(I am aware of the Irony, yes, but it's happening more and more - people feeling the need to challenge to play up to their own 'audience' on their own stage).

So how long do you think they should get?

Send each one away for attempted murder

Well why not, don't you? What do you think your man's intention was when he shoved her into the water, to tickle her?

This is a serious and very malicious criminal assault which could have resulted in someone's death. The fact that she was able to get herself out of the water is just happenstance, her good luck not theirs, I don't know why you're understating it.

Jesus Christ man I don't ever want this to happen to you, your mother, your wife, your child, or anyone else connected to you, but is this seriously what has to happen before you open your eyes?

Yeah, he tried to kill that woman, are we not watching the same video or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Well why not, don't you? What do you think your man's intention was when he shoved her into the water, to tickle her?

This is a serious and very malicious criminal assault which could have resulted in someone's death. The fact that she was able to get herself out of the water is just happenstance, her good luck not theirs, I don't know why you're understating it.

Jesus Christ man I don't ever want this to happen to you, your mother, your wife, your child, or anyone else connected to you, but is this seriously what has to happen before you open your eyes?

Yeah, he tried to kill that woman, are we not watching the same video or something?

"Man" is a bit of a stretch tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

There has to be negative consequences for these guys, for such scumbag behaviour. They have no respect.
    Their viciousness or how scumbaggy they can be is almost seen as a badge of honour.
    Often it is like an auction amongst them to see how extreme they can be
    Parents, neighbours, community, teachers etc. should be instilling values into them which they are not..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

petronius wrote: »
    There has to be negative consequences for these guys, for such scumbag behaviour. They have no respect.
    Their viciousness or how scumbaggy they can be is almost seen as a badge of honour.
    Often it is like an auction amongst them to see how extreme they can be
    Parents, neighbours, community, teachers etc. should be instilling values into them which they are not..

A grand total of f*ck-all will happen to these youths.

Sadly I know you are correct!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

If under 18 - Week in jail & fine for parents (Based on income)
    If over 18 - Week in Jail & fine for them (Based on income)

Should be a zero tolerance...it's just scummy behavior & leads to bigger things when it goes unchecked.

The system has to show that it won't be tolerated & the Gaurds need to have the support of everyone when they do act on these incidents ensuring some degree of justice is shown.

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭celticWario

This is what Gardai have to deal with when dealng with these scrotes:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/drguxm/cant_arrest_a_14_year_old_since_when/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Some Chinese guy on the news now saying he was severely beaten last week - this is becoming a trend.

Unfortunately There’s such huge anger and fury out there on all things Chinese :/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Time for an Irish Guardian Angel chapter to be set up.

People were opposed to it in New York in the 80's but it proved it's value by protecting people and highlighting anti social behaviour to the politicians so finally something was done about it
    FionnK86 wrote: »
    Just heard this woman talk on Newstalk, it's very sad to hear her story. I agree with your post. Guards are powerless and politicians don't live in Ashtown and other poorer areas so don't see the issue.

The Guards (and the "Guardian Angels") need to be present to act as a deterrent though. In New York, the GA worked because they were limited to the subway. But let's not pretend that they cleaned up the entire city.

In any case, we already have our own version of the Guardian Angels on the LUAS, who have to fill their day with looking for fare dodgers, because violent instances on the LUAS are actually quite low. Certainly nothing like NYC was in the 70's and 80's.

What's needed is to increase the Garda presence on our streets, because I absolutely guarantee you that those little shits wouldn't have done anything if there were a couple of rozzers down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

In fairness it is no surprise, the amount of times I have had altercations with little scumbags over the past 5 years is crazy.

I am 26 and grew up in Dublin 15, near Corduff, so you could say a fairly rough area, never once had trouble in the area as when you grow up there you learn how to deal with situations and how to handle yourself

I now live in Navan, the amount of times I have nearly punched the face off some little wannabe gangster who thinks because he is with 5 of his little mates he is hard is unbelievable. These are 15 year olds who are literally mouting at every single person that walks by them

The missus was actually harassed on the staircase of our apartment by about 6 youths, 4 males and 2 females as she was coming home one day, dont ask me how they even got in, no one older than 16, calling her all sorts.

She comes in crying, telling me what happened, go out to deal with it to be met with "Why you picking on kids, we can be were we want, Call the guards then" I never mentioned the guards, grabbed one by the throat and held him up against the wall, all his little mates saying "Sorry, Sorry Mister"

They need a good kick to the teeth, a real battering to teach them, its all that gets through these days

There was a gang in tyrrelstown that was coming near where I am from, they were mugging old women and causing havoc, a local biker crew who have a... club house? I don't know what you call it, in the area found out where their supposed leader was, now these were 15-17 year olds, dragged him out of his house and gave him an absolute walloping while wearing masks, never had any trouble in the area from them again.

Its all that can stop them, adults should not be afraid of kids, and they should not be afraid to give them a smack in the face

Tony EH wrote: »

What's needed is to increase the Garda presence on our streets, because I absolutely guarantee you that those little shits wouldn't have done anything if there were a couple of rozzers down the road.

And that's it in the main - a stronger police presence would sort out a lot of our issues.
    Not vigilante groups, or permission to give em a few slaps or new long, lengthy jail sentences. Use the powers we have with a larger police force.

Cut funding for years - then (unfortunately) this is the sh!t you have to deal with..

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Do you honestly believe that he tried to murder her? His intention was that she would be killed, never to breathe again?

gibgodsman wrote: »

They need a good kick to the teeth, a real battering to teach them, its all that gets through these days

And what happens when a real battering stops working? When the next generation are so accustomed to a good kick in the teeth that they decide not to take it anymore?

Does that just mean the punishment beatings aren't hard enough?

• Advertisement

gibgodsman wrote: »

I am 26 and grew up in Dublin 15, near Corduff, so you could say a fairly rough area

And that wouldn't necessarily meet my definition of a rough area.. But I don't really want to go down that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

kenmm wrote: »
    And that wouldn't necessarily meet my definition of a rough area.. But I don't really want to go down that route.

There is literally a TV show based around how much the Guards have to deal with in the area, they have recorded multiple times outside my family home over the past 3 weeks... if that is not a rough area I honestly do not know what is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Unfortunately the canals around Dublin can attract large groups of scum. I do a good bit of fishing and I've had someone try to rob my rod before , got a bottle thrown at me and it just missed my head , I know 2 lads that were kicked in by groups of teens . Id never fish around there again . Feel sorry for the poor woman but unfortunately we live in a society were groups of feral teens have no respect for anyone and think it's a laugh to act like scumbags

• Registered Users Posts: 40,466 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

if corduff doesnt meet your definition of rough where does?

Scumbag behaviour at locations like the canal and in parks, and the lack of safety and security make it all the more difficult for them to be developed as amenities.

Often it takes the community who can reduce anti-social behaviour, since they are the ones who utlimately suffer when you cant use the park, the bus stop, or short cut along the river or canal

Some of the parents are lost causes, but most of them have a parent or family, who should take responsibilty at least know where the kids are

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I wonder how long before someone is attacked on the new greenway at north strand, lots of little scumbags around there, it's only a matter of time really

if corduff doesnt meet your definition of rough where does?

Ok, full disclosure - I know one person lives near it and I haven't been there for a few (3?) years - so my sample size is low. But my impression is that it wasn't that bad, so I will trust that you guys know more about this.

I would have thought parts of inner city Dublin (for example) would be rough. My overall impression of Ireland is that there are very few *really* rough areas.

I've not lived in any of them in Ireland - a few in the UK that would be more than "a bit rough".

So maybe I am not the best person to judge from an Irish point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

And that's it in the main - a stronger police presence would sort out a lot of our issues.
    Not vigilante groups,

Calling for vigilantes is stupid. What you end up with is a mob attacking the innocent too often, because they lack discipline.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Unfortunately there’s going to be a LOT of anti Chinese anger in the world for quite a long time now... It’s sad to see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Unfortunately there’s going to be a LOT of anti Chinese anger in the world for quite a long time now... It’s sad to see

Did you not say earlier the attack was nothing to do with the woman's race?

Advertisement