Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman pushed into Royal Canal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Did you not say earlier the attack was nothing to do with the woman's race?

No I said that her response was nothing to do with race, anyone who engages scumbags (even teenagers - potentially even more dangerous and unpredictable) in a lecture at a canal bank is putting themselves in danger unfortunately.

The number 1 priority is to get away to safety and once your own safety is ensured then contact an gardai

• Registered Users Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Corduff is definitely a rough area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

No I said that her response was nothing to do with race, anyone who engages scumbags (even teenagers - potentially even more dangerous and unpredictable) in a lecture at a canal bank is putting themselves in danger unfortunately.

The number 1 priority is to get away to safety and once your own safety is ensured then contact an gardai
    nice bit of victim blaming there

imagine having the temerity to ask someone not to racially abuse you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

oh god shes still there

nice bit of victim blaming there

imagine having the temerity to ask someone not to racially abuse you

I’m not blaming the victim. I’ve simply pointed out that anyone who starts into a “canal bank” lecture with their back directly behind the canal while surrounded by a group of thugs is not the cleverest move.

Instead get to high ground and safety then contact the garda and alert them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Nokotan wrote: »
    Do you honestly believe that he tried to murder her? His intention was that she would be killed, never to breathe again?

Probably not. However I would suggest he didn't care one way or the other which leads me to believe that we need a charge similar to the US "culpable endangerment". Defined as, "The deliberate perpetration of a knowingly dangerous act with reckless and wanton unconcern and indifference as to whether anyone is harmed or not." This is in addition to the assault charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,451 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Unfortunately there’s going to be a LOT of anti Chinese anger in the world for quite a long time now... It’s sad to see

Always trying to stir the pot with low level trolling trying to get a response.

"Unfortunately There’s such huge anger and fury out there on all things Chinese"

"Unfortunately there’s going to be a LOT of anti Chinese anger in the world"

john4321 wrote: »

"Unfortunately There’s such huge anger and fury out there on all things Chinese"

It’s not to stir the pot as you so charmingly put it

It’s my genuine observation on it.

Numerous times lately in society people (colleagues, clients, acquaintances) have expressed anti Chinese sentiment to me or my family - won’t repeat it as not worth repeating.

not nice but it’s the reality John

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

I’m not blaming the victim. I’ve simply pointed out that anyone who starts into a “canal bank” lecture with their back directly behind the canal while surrounded by a group of thugs is not the cleverest move.

Instead get to high ground and safety then contact the garda and alert them

If a journalist runs out into the middle of the street during a fire fight in a war zone and gets shot it's obviously the person who fired the gun's fault but the journalist should know better than to run out into the middle of the street during a fire fight in a war zone.

Obviously an exaggerated example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

This is what Gardai have to deal with when dealng with these scrotes:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/drguxm/cant_arrest_a_14_year_old_since_when/

Guards should call back mob handed at 5am and arrest the lot of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

kenmm wrote: »
    Ok, full disclosure - I know one person lives near it and I haven't been there for a few (3?) years - so my sample size is low. But my impression is that it wasn't that bad, so I will trust that you guys know more about this.

I would have thought parts of inner city Dublin (for example) would be rough. My overall impression of Ireland is that there are very few *really* rough areas.

I've not lived in any of them in Ireland - a few in the UK that would be more than "a bit rough".

So maybe I am not the best person to judge from an Irish point of view.

Fair enough I suppose, but there is literally shootings up there every week, they actually took a few shots at someone near the local secondary school right before the students were about to go home.

There was also videos doing the rounds of lads walking around with a shotgun in broad daylight and taking shots at each other.

Place is 100% rough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

gibgodsman wrote: »
    Fair enough I suppose, but there is literally shootings up there every week, they actually took a few shots at someone near the local secondary school right before the students were about to go home.

There was also videos doing the rounds of lads walking around with a shotgun in broad daylight and taking shots at each other.

Place is 100% rough

Ok - shotguns on the street definitely moves it closer to rough (even in my definition!)

john4321 wrote: »

Unfortunately some people are just thick

• Registered Users Posts: 13,481 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

nthclare wrote: »
    As my friend who's a retired prison officers said to me, the prisoners in the 80's and 90's were gentleman and having conversations with some they used to say,if you think we're bad wait until you see what's coming after us.

The system is too soft on scumbags nowadays, back in the 80's and 90's vigilantes would sort this out, I know it's frowned upon by SJWs, lefties, shi tty parents and the ivory tower brigade.

But as the op posted enough is enough....

A lot of the anti-crime 'movements' in the 80s and 90s considered themselves very left-leaning. As for the term Social Justice Warrior, take a bit of time to think about that.

It's almost like there's an agenda being pushed here.

As for those kids, there's very little hope for them. It'll take some serious effort to set them straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

I am not sure branding an area as such is helpful.

I think while there needs to be a response which punishes such behaviour, risking sounding like a hippie do-gooder there needs to be a long term plan investing in security, in community schemes, in education, jobs and recreation

I recall in the UK in a run-down urban area, an attack on an eastern-european who had BRXIT slogans shouted at her, there was an interview with this guy with an ASBO and almost boasting he had over 100 petty crimes against his name, complainig saying events like this (h)appen, since there was nothing for the youth to do, no facilities - yet among his crimes were damaging a basketball court and thiefing from the community centre. The interviewer was lost for words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

petronius wrote: »
    I am not sure branding an area as such is helpful.

I think while there needs to be a response which punishes such behaviour, risking sounding like a hippie do-gooder there needs to be a long term plan investing in security, in community schemes, in education, jobs and recreation

I recall in the UK in a run-down urban area, an attack on an eastern-european who had BRXIT slogans shouted at her, there was an interview with this guy with an ASBO and almost boasting he had over 100 petty crimes against his name, complainig saying events like this (h)appen, since there was nothing for the youth to do, no facilities - yet among his crimes were damaging a basketball court and thiefing from the community centre. The interviewer was lost for words.

Putting some facilities in place vs having a community around to support and inspire people are completely different. You can't magic a quick fix to this and it does require both:

Meaningful, no tolerance punishment AND long term plans to improve areas all round (Show people a better way before they turn to crappy behaviour)

The second part doesn't fit in with the quick fix - would be better to try and do something simple, preferably with a three word slogan:

Tough On Crime
    or
    War on Gangters/War on Drugs
    or
    Just Say No
    or
    Slap em Harder

One of them might work?

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

kenmm wrote: »
    Did this actually happen to you tho? Or is it more likely that your parents raised you to have some respect for authority and the police beating you up was just really a saying?

This happened in the 90s. I know several people it happened to.

kowloon wrote: »
    A lot of the anti-crime 'movements' in the 80s and 90s considered themselves very left-leaning. As for the term Social Justice Warrior, take a bit of time to think about that.

It's almost like there's an agenda being pushed here.

As for those kids, there's very little hope for them. It'll take some serious effort to set them straight.

If the government does not step in now with some serious policing investment huge areas will be lost to Sinn Fein/ IRA / Dissidents/ Drug Cartel hardmen and will be unliveable for decent people as the "cure" will very quickly become worse than the original problem.

Do you honestly believe that he tried to murder her? His intention was that she would be killed, never to breathe again?

Yes. What do you think his intention was?

Ask yourself if you think he would have jumped in after her to save her had she started drowning, then reconsider your own question. You know damn well he would have stood there laughing at her.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Yes. What do you think his intention was?

Ask yourself if you think he would have jumped in after her to save her had she started drowning, then reconsider your own question. You know damn well he would have stood there laughing at her.

He wanted to humiliate her and make his friends laugh at her expense. He (whoever pushed the woman) is an absolute scumbag but to say he wanted to murder her is delusional so extreme it's a tad worrying.

I also think scumbag or not if the woman started drowning once the gravity of the situation took hold they wouldn't continue laughing as someone died in front of their eyes. Some of the lads would have frozen and done nothing, someone might have jumped in.

Anyway, I got my answer on whether you thought there was genuine intent to murder. I don't fully believe you do think that way though and are just looking to get a rise out of someone online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Unfortunately there’s going to be a LOT of anti Chinese anger in the world for quite a long time now... It’s sad to see

Why do I get the feeling that you're not that sad to see it at all.

to say he wanted to murder her is delusional so extreme it's a tab worrying.

someone might have jumped in.

And I'm delusional? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Connacht15

We have had a longstanding problems with gangs of teenage nax acting the bollex in all sorts of ways in this country and absolutely nothing is being done about it!
    The only other country where this is at epidemic levels is Britain, where they tend to carry knives!

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭southstar

I'd say your comment was silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,343 ✭✭✭✭walshb

You could be

What they did was nasty.

But to suggest they wanted her to die is a little extreme.

Teens do dangerous and nasty and immature and foolish and bad things...

Most of the time they don't realize or understand the gravity of these things

Teens in gangs are lethal, because although, individually they may be decent enough, all it takes is for a few bad apples to turn the gang rotten.

BTW, I also know teens can be murderers....But this case I don't think fits the bill..

• Registered Users Posts: 26,434 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Connacht15 wrote: »
    We have had a longstanding problems with gangs of teenage nax acting the bollex in all sorts of ways in this country and absolutely nothing is being done about it!
    The only other country where this is at epidemic levels is Britain, where they tend to carry knives!

Its not the only other country not even close

walshb wrote: »
    You could be

What they did was nasty.

But to suggest they wanted her to die is a little extreme.

Teens do dangerous and nasty and immature and foolish and bad things...

Most of the time they don't realize or understand the gravity of these things

Agree to disagree here, fair enough, but let me re-phrase and re-iterate the point. Are you seriously telling me you think those people would have jumped in to rescue that woman if it became obvious she was drowning?

It's not a trick question, just a simple yes or no, and my own personal view is no. I didn't mean to explicitly state "they wanted her to die" like you say, but the fact is they couldn't give a flying shyte if she did or not as a direct result of their actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,770 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Omackeral wrote: »
    Do you think these little fcuknuggets have any interest in politics? Seriously? They probably chant ''Sinn Fein'' and ''IRA'' during the Fields of Athenry and that's the height of it.

Just like the average SF voter then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

There was a man standing at the banks of the suir today. Was tempted to push him in.

Oh and before you say I’m a bad person, there’s construction work going on up the mall and it’s closed to pedestrians. he went around the barrier.

Sign of the next Hitler that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭AlanG

Corduff is definitely a rough area.

This disgraceful incident happened in Castleknock / Ashtown, near the 11th lock and one of the most affluent areas of Dublin (and the K district). Thousands of people use the route weekly and generally there is no trouble. The area is well covered in CCTV so hopefully something can be done but the perpetrator looks very young and I'm not sure the others did anything that is actually considered criminal so its hard to see what will be done under Irish Law.

Advertisement