Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman pushed into Royal Canal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

And I'm delusional? :rolleyes:

Yes

Yes

Fair enough, that's the attitude that ensures they will continue doing it and continuing to get away with it. Still hope it never happens to one of your family, but if it ever does I hope the little fukcer is as helpful pulling them out of the water as you expect him to be. What would your own expectations be?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

petronius wrote: »
    I am not sure branding an area as such is helpful.

I think while there needs to be a response which punishes such behaviour, risking sounding like a hippie do-gooder there needs to be a long term plan investing in security, in community schemes, in education, jobs and recreation

I recall in the UK in a run-down urban area, an attack on an eastern-european who had BRXIT slogans shouted at her, there was an interview with this guy with an ASBO and almost boasting he had over 100 petty crimes against his name, complainig saying events like this (h)appen, since there was nothing for the youth to do, no facilities - yet among his crimes were damaging a basketball court and thiefing from the community centre. The interviewer was lost for words.

Do you honestly think lads like those in the video have any interest in education or getting a job?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Phoebas wrote: »
    Why do I get the feeling that you're not that sad to see it at all.

Only seeing this now - I don’t know why you get that feeling but your feeling is completely wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Do you honestly think lads like those in the video have any interest in education or getting a job?

Maybe too late for them lads, but what about the younger brothers?

You can't just write them off because of circumstance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

petronius wrote: »
    I am not sure branding an area as such is helpful.

I think while there needs to be a response which punishes such behaviour, risking sounding like a hippie do-gooder there needs to be a long term plan investing in security, in community schemes, in education, jobs and recreation

I recall in the UK in a run-down urban area, an attack on an eastern-european who had BRXIT slogans shouted at her, there was an interview with this guy with an ASBO and almost boasting he had over 100 petty crimes against his name, complainig saying events like this (h)appen, since there was nothing for the youth to do, no facilities - yet among his crimes were damaging a basketball court and thiefing from the community centre. The interviewer was lost for words.

Shïthole areas breed scumbags, who knew?

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Agree to disagree here, fair enough, but let me re-phrase and re-iterate the point. Are you seriously telling me you think those people would have jumped in to rescue that woman if it became obvious she was drowning?

It's not a trick question, just a simple yes or no, and my own personal view is no. I didn't mean to explicitly state "they wanted her to die" like you say, but the fact is they couldn't give a flying shyte if she did or not as a direct result of their actions.

You answered "Yes" to this question
    Do you honestly believe that he tried to murder her? His intention was that she would be killed, never to breathe again?

That looks pretty unequivocal to me. Of course if you change your mind that's fine but you're making out that people have misinterpreted your comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭melonstar

A colleague of mine and his friend (both Polish) were walking through Tolka Valley Park on Saturday afternoon and were assaulted by four older teenagers on bikes. One of the thugs punched my colleague in the face (now has a black eye) and another hit the other guy across the head with a baseball bat.
    Guards and ambulance came. Guards weren't very helpful; suggesting that they provoked them, any witnesses etc etc.
    No follow up from the guards so far.
    Not far from the 12th lock - possibly the same group of lads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭The Unbearables

melonstar wrote: »
    A colleague of mine and his friend (both Polish) were walking through Tolka Valley Park on Saturday afternoon and were assaulted by four older teenagers on bikes. One of the thugs punched my colleague in the face (now has a black eye) and another hit the other guy across the head with a baseball bat.
    Guards and ambulance came. Guards weren't very helpful; suggesting that they provoked them, any witnesses etc etc.

Sad to hear that. Every city has these thugs unfortunately. They'd have been stabbed in London or Paris

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Might be the same, might not. Lots of feral little ****s around the area.

• Advertisement

They'd have been stabbed in London or Paris

What's that got to do with it?

I mean they may have been shot in NY, perfectly safe in North Korea, also verbally attacked in Edinburgh, but it's all irrelevant?

It *almost* sounds like we are excusing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Connacht15 wrote: »
    We have had a longstanding problems with gangs of teenage nax acting the bollex in all sorts of ways in this country and absolutely nothing is being done about it!
    The only other country where this is at epidemic levels is Britain, where they tend to carry knives!

Ever growing culture of delinquency

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

This is why they should never be confronted when abusing people, these men did nothing to them and were still assaulted.

Earlier in the thread we had posters saying they would call them out if shouted at by a gang of teenagers, very bad advice to give.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

This is why they should never be confronted when abusing people, these men did nothing to them and were still assaulted.

Earlier in the thread we had posters saying they would call them out if shouted at by a gang of teenagers, very bad advice to give.

Yeah well they've spent far too long in their right-on echo chamber. They haven't encountered people who couldn't care less about their opinions or doing them harm in the process. You can't reason with scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

]
    So how long do you think they should get?

Send each one away for attempted murder

Fine the parents.
    & not means tested either. If the parents were on social welfare, the fine would be only a few euro & wouldn't have much of an impact would it.
    Fine them a few grand, let them figure out how they will cough up the money. That might encourage them to finally keep rein on their kid's.
    Well why not, don't you? What do you think your man's intention was when he shoved her into the water, to tickle her?

This is a serious and very malicious criminal assault which could have resulted in someone's death. The fact that she was able to get herself out of the water is just happenstance, her good luck not theirs, I don't know why you're understating it.

Jesus Christ man I don't ever want this to happen to you, your mother, your wife, your child, or anyone else connected to you, but is this seriously what has to happen before you open your eyes?

Yeah, he tried to kill that woman, are we not watching the same video or something?

He didn't try to kill her.
    He pushed her into the canal for the LOL's. Which definitely could have ended in being a case of manslaughter. As bad as it was that they did this to the woman, i don't think they were trying to murder her

Oops sorry I dont know why my post turned out like that

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Connacht15

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Its not the only other country not even close

Where else is it tolerated to such an extent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

They’re six kilometres from each other! Tolka Valley Park is closer to O’Connell Street than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Hang upside down over night by rope in tree, would certainly traumatize someone into changing but I suppose violence beget violence, I have no solution. Tie up in shipping container with 5 litres of water headed for France? Talk to their parents? What can you do really? You would just be making yourself into a target.

edit: just checked don't hang anyone upside down for more than 10 minutes!

These men were assaulted just minding their own business. You believe that people should turn a blind eye to that, should ignore the wrongdoing & look after themselves.
    Well I got one won't stand by & watch innocent people get assaulted.
    Nor will I watch youngsters doing wrong. That is why they feel they are untouchable, because society treats them like that.
    Hide away in case they are seen by kids, with no respect for society. Do you think that by allowing them to do whatever they want that they will somehow change?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

bubblypop wrote: »
    These men were assaulted just minding their own business. You believe that people should turn a blind eye to that, should ignore the wrongdoing & look after themselves.
    Well I got one won't stand by & watch innocent people get assaulted.
    Nor will I watch youngsters doing wrong. That is why they feel they are untouchable, because society treats them like that.
    Hide away in case they are seen by kids, with no respect for society. Do you think that by allowing them to do whatever they want that they will somehow change?

Intervening is honourable but don't think giving them a good talking to is the correct intervention, these kind of people have no shame, if you mean to intervene, kicking the sh1t out of them is the only valuable action

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Intervening is honourable but don't think giving them a good talking to is the correct intervention, these kind of people have no shame, if you mean to intervene, kicking the sh1t out of them is the only valuable action

I may be wrong but didn't one of our ****wit judges tell someone charged with assault of a bunch of vermin that were damaging his car that he should have tried reason with them.....

Round these animals up and drop them of in foxrock and bet the ****ing guards will be there in a heartbeat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭The Unbearables

kenmm wrote: »
    What's that got to do with it?

I mean they may have been shot in NY, perfectly safe in North Korea, also verbally attacked in Edinburgh, but it's all irrelevant?

It *almost* sounds like we are excusing them.

Yes yes that's what i meant :rolleyes:

Yes yes that's what i meant :rolleyes:

Of course its not.. but what did you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/garda%C3%AD-know-identities-of-youths-who-pushed-woman-into-canal-1.4331604?mode=amp

Garda know who did it. Probably won't do anything with it. They'll be sent to the Junior Liason Officer, who will say "Cmon man, you're better than this. See you in 6 months".

The same happened with those guys who were involved in the acid attack.

Everyone will have their records cleaned when they are 18.

Not sure what you mean by this? The Gardai will do what they are supposed to do, & no doubt they will receive a caution under the jlo scheme.
    What exactly do you think they should do?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Not sure what you mean by this? The Gardai will do what they are supposed to do, & no doubt they will receive a caution under the jlo scheme.

Release the names so the public can lynch the little f*ckers, in an ideal world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

They’re six kilometres from each other! Tolka Valley Park is closer to O’Connell Street than that.

Nope. I've lived here for ten years. This occurred in the same stretch while they are also present in Tolka park, literally a couple of hundred yards away. These 'biker' gangs are well known in the area. This is not an isolated incident. As well as frequent antisocial behaviour such as this along the canal, they've been flagrantly shoplifting from local stores and smashing windows. And they're getting 'braver', because they know the gards can't touch them, but anyone who tries to take them on will be arrested.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

The law does provide for fining the parents, but this law has never been used.

All these tough guys, particularly those that are parents -

If I seen your child being a bit rude or some minor offence - it is ok if I give them a small dig or slap? I obviously wouldn't to hard for the minor stuff.

This does not condone in any way what the video shows - I am just trying to establish the boundaries here:

Cheeky to shop assistant/ showing off in front of friends - quick slap
    Fighting/ attacking someone/ maybe some light shoplifting - good hard punch
    Something like in this post - hard beating/ kicks to the face allowed

What is the scale?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

?? Tolka valley park is less than 2km from Ashtown.

Advertisement