Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman pushed into Royal Canal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Pushing someome into a lake and causing no injury shouldn't be a lengthy prison sentence.

For all the outrage over this, scumbags are doing worse up and down the country every day

If she drowned because she could not swim be just "unfortunate"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Treppen wrote: »
    First offence?

You reckon!

The thing is we have no idea.

I too doubt it, and think there should be actual punishments for under 18s.

I almost lost an eye and have a permanent scar from an unprovoked attack by two such scumbags. It has been a problem for a long long time

LuasSimon wrote: »
    It’s happening all over the country , feral youths doing what they want , intimidating law abiding people .
    The judges think it’s ok
    Pretty much. ~ 5 years ago an Irish mother of an incapacitated child was pushed into the River Lee in Cork. She drowned. Perp was processed through the system and no more has been published since.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Safe to say this woman won’t be winning any Einstein awards for lecturing a crowd of teenagers with her back to a canal...right behind her...

Not the cleverest - Come on like, race doesn’t come into it

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I would’ve advised her to walk on and then at a fair distance, out of earshot, ring the guards if she has to - make her complaint - then meet the guard at a good distance away from the gang and explain what went on

But certainly not starting into a “lecture” right at the canal bank as they crowd around her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,105 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Safe to say this woman won’t be winning any Einstein awards for lecturing a crowd of teenagers with her back to a canal...right behind her...

Jesus christ talk about victim blaming..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,105 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I would’ve advised her to walk on and then at a fair distance, out of earshot, ring the guards if she has to - make her complaint - then meet the guard at a good distance away from the gang and explain what went on

But certainly not starting into a “lecture” right at the canal bank as they crowd around her.
    She would have been still standing there waiting for the gardai I'd say...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

nthclare wrote: »
    As my friend who's a retired prison officers said to me, the prisoners in the 80's and 90's were gentleman and having conversations with some they used to say,if you think we're bad wait until you see what's coming after us.

The system is too soft on scumbags nowadays, back in the 80's and 90's vigilantes would sort this out, I know it's frowned upon by SJWs, lefties, shi tty parents and the ivory tower brigade.

But as the op posted enough is enough....

Ah yes those halcyon days where the back of your hand or a swift beating to your kids would sort that sh!t out.

I wonder tho - where did all those mild mannered kids that were taught a lesson go? I mean they obviously aren't parenting the current crop of scumbags are they?

Or is it just even slightly possible that growing up with violence has spread from generation to generation and thats why these kids think this behaviour is perfectly acceptable?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

She was asking for it.

Pkiernan wrote: »
    This is a real conundrum for the left.

Who do they side with, the victim of a racist assault, or the poor "must vulnerable" members of society who committed this horrible act.

Either way, their "solution" will be increased welfare payments.

lol - what has "the left" got to do with this? What massive leaps of imagination are you using to go from an attack to increased social welfare payments. It's some serious flaw in logic.

Your need to polarise and categorise people is not making sense here.

I don't think there is anyone on any side of any political boundary that wouldn't condone this act and want to see those brought to task.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Your not a free legal aid solicitor by any chance ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MFPM

dan1895 wrote: »
    She was asking for it.

Man defends violent assault on woman...what a charmer you are.

Excusing violence and illustrating your ignorance in the same post - you should get an award!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

She was asking for it.

At the very least she's not terribly streetwise.
    Did she think after a talking to, these lads will have a lightbulb moment and apologise to her?
    Lol.

MFPM wrote: »
    Man defends violent assault on woman...what a charmer you are.

Look at my previous posts in the thread. I'm being sarcastic.

Look at my previous posts in the thread. I'm being sarcastic.

Mea culpa.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Her mistake was confronting them, these lads don't care about anyone and will hit back the only way they know how which is to do something like this.

TBH she was lucky she didn't end up with a serious injury, these lads have no fear of the Guards or prison and probably have had numerous run ins with the Guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Her mistake was confronting them, these lads don't care about anyone and will hit back the only way they know how which is to do something like this.

TBH she was lucky she didn't end up with a serious injury, these lads have no fear of the Guards or prison and probably have had numerous run ins with the Guards.

She was naive and it was dangerous to do. However we as a society need to start confronting anti social behaviour. We seem to Turn a blind eye to a lot of things. That stabbing of the youth in Cork for example was attrocious.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

smurgen wrote: »
    She was naive and it was dangerous to do. However we as a society need to start confronting anti social behaviour. We seem to Turn a blind eye to a lot of things. That stabbing of the youth in Cork for example was attrocious.

Yes it was but how do we confront it?

They have no fear of the Gardai or prison so what needs to change because I don't know the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Yes it was but how do we confront it?

They have no fear of the Gardai or prison so what needs to change because I don't know the answer.

The only things lads like this understand is a good hammering. Not lectures, court appearances, social workers or the naughty step.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,162 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Did she actually end up in the canal, it was like a magic trick, she kinda just vanished.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Pushing someome into a lake and causing no injury shouldn't be a lengthy prison sentence.

For all the outrage over this, scumbags are doing worse up and down the country every day

And so my point has been made.

She was physically assaulted and racially abused, and the left defend the attackers! The world is upside down.

She was physically assaulted and racially abused, and the left defend the attackers! The world is upside down.

Because one poster represents the left?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Anyone who starts lecturing a crowd of bowsies is either very naive, stupid or doesn't know Dublin very well

Don't be silly now.

The key word here was *lengthy*.

Do you think assault should carry a 20 year prison term?
    The crime here is bad, it should be punished. No one is defending the attackers and you cannot turn this into a left Vs right debate, no matter how hard (but poorly) you try.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Have you ever gone more than two posts without wittering on about “the left”? You’ll give yourself a stroke or a heart attack with all that built up intensity/paranoia.

In all likelihood the Reds aren’t under your bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I don't think I have ever been called left wing, apart from in my football days. I'm center right if anything

We don't all fit into neat little boxes.

Do i think they should be punished or course (and their parents if underage).

Is it ten years for this alone?

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

Those youths were cycling up and down the canal in gangs intimidating people throughout the whole lockdown from Ashtown down to Phisboro while the Gardai were actually on covid patrol watching them. If the Gardai were doing their community policing role properly they would know exactly who those kids in the video are rather than telling the poor woman there’s no way of knowing.

fryup wrote: »
    Anyone who starts lecturing a crowd of bowsies is either very naive, stupid or doesn't know Dublin very well

Utterly irrelevant. The woman stood up for herself and the violently assaulted her - the violent assault is the only issue here.

• Advertisement

This is it. You either meet these people with violence or keep your head down. The courts are not on your side, nor are the guards.

Using words to deal with vermin won't work.

So better funding the police so that they can actually act as a deterrent would be a better idea then?

Or should we trend toward a more violent community generally? Suits me, I'd easily be able to take on those scortes, but what about others?

Advertisement