Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman pushed into Royal Canal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

smurgen wrote: »
    She was naive and it was dangerous to do. However we as a society need to start confronting anti social behaviour. We seem to Turn a blind eye to a lot of things. That stabbing of the youth in Cork for example was attrocious.

This a hundred percent. But they need to have something to fear for this to work.

At the moment, for most, confronting makes yourself a target, like here

• Registered Users Posts: 33,105 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Pkiernan wrote: »
    And so my point has been made.

She was physically assaulted and racially abused, and the left defend the attackers! The world is upside down.
    "The left" defend the attackers...where? On this thread? Who has defended them?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

kenmm wrote: »
    Don't be silly now.

The key word here was *lengthy*.

Do you think assault should carry a 20 year prison term?
    The crime here is bad, it should be punished. No one is defending the attackers and you cannot turn this into a left Vs right debate, no matter how hard (but poorly) you try.

A year seems fair enough and could be considered lengthy in the context. Not suspended though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

These kids are bored. We need a war to ship them off to. Get rid of them for a couple of years.

Actually think 6 months conscription would be an amazing thing for the youth of this country.

6 months of regime, discipline, hard work etc will teach invaluable life skills to disenfranchised youth and probably new life long friendships.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

GarIT wrote: »
    A year seems fair enough and could be considered lengthy in the context. Not suspended though.

Whatever is deemed fair or not is for the professionals tbh, my point is.. who the feck is defending this behaviour!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Like something out of the Young Offenders tbh

we enjoy watching them on TV but tut tut them in real life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Safe to say this woman won’t be winning any Einstein awards for lecturing a crowd of teenagers with her back to a canal...right behind her...

Not the cleverest - Come on like, race doesn’t come into it

Well done you hero on the victim blaming.

Clown.

As an aside I heard Owen Roddy has kicked out one of the culprits from SBG Charlestown.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

I see some people saying she shouldnt of lectured them I wonder in the region she is from Asia maybe younger people / teenagers possibly wouldnt normally do such a thing to older person so a degree of naievety of what she was getting involved in? I learned years ago even if you are bigger / older then these young thugs just keep away. Years ago I and a friend were walking down by the canal when a group of "hoods" caught up with us which had been casually walking behind us. Being physically much bigger and older i didnt really worry (naieve). All of a sudden there was a hand in my pocket and within seconds we were surrounded by a group of thugs pulling at us and pulling at our pockets and bags. My phone was taken. it was over in seconds. There is a pack mentality like hyenas with these. I also note on the video it looks like a red haired girl also goes in for the push at the same time. (maybe im seeing that wrong thou

Pkiernan wrote: »
    And so my point has been made.

She was physically assaulted and racially abused, and the left defend the attackers! The world is upside down.

That poster isn't left wing..

No you wouldn't be able to take them on because you'd be outnumbered. These twats always operate as a gang.

In this case, easily. So ye Fu(k it let's bring on this vigilante world.

If you disagree, I'll meet you on O'Connell Street for a scrap, ye?

That's how's it's going to work, no?

• Advertisement

fryup wrote: »
    Like something out of the Young Offenders tbh

we enjoy watching them on TV but tut tut them in real life

I actually actively dislike that show for glorifying this boll*x

In the real world, once you're outnumbered, you have no chance of winning a fight.

Dosen't matter how big you are.

It's getting silly now, isn't it?

In the real world fighting violence with violence doesn't work.
    It's easy to say things like 'they just need a slap' or the police should give them a beating. In reality it's not very practical or particularly useful.

That was the subtle point I was trying to make. You seem to have missed that and think I'm about to go fighting gangs single handedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

At the very least she's not terribly streetwise.
    Did she think after a talking to, these lads will have a lightbulb moment and apologise to her?
    Lol.

Perhaps she has some personal dignity and courage?

A quality rapidly diminishing in this kip.

Bonniedog wrote: »

I'm actually glad these appear to be our own home grown scumbags. To many deflecting any youth problems into any groups - race, nationality etc.

We "Irish" have our own scumbag problem. They have nothing to fear

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

MFPM wrote: »
    Man defends violent assault on woman...what a charmer you are.

I think he was sarcastically responding to the person he quoted who was victim blaming

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Whatever is deemed fair or not is for the professionals tbh, my point is.. who the feck is defending this behaviour!

It needs to be taken away from them. They have been ****ing it up long enough. We need a referendum on mandatory minimum sentences. We need a referendum to make concurrent and suspended sentences unconstitutional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

It's getting silly now, isn't it?

Making the point that we should stand up to scobes is not silly at all.

I had a couple of the local ones annoying the missus. I produced a baseball bat and grabbed one by the neck and threatened to use the bat on him if it continued. It stopped.

If the law is useless here we have the right to defend ourselves.

What is?

My comments got cut off- I'll repeat here:

In the real world fighting violence with violence doesn't work.
    It's easy to say things like 'they just need a slap' or the police should give them a beating. In reality it's not very practical or particularly useful.

That was the subtle point I was trying to make. You seem to have missed that and think I'm about to go fighting gangs single handedly.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Well done you hero on the victim blaming.

Clown.

As an aside I heard Owen Roddy has kicked out one of the culprits from SBG Charlestown.

SBG has denied any of them ever being in their gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Perhaps. It was unlikely to make an impression, except they're probably still having a laugh about it.

Know your audience.

• Advertisement

Making the point that we should stand up to scobes is not silly at all.

I had a couple of the local ones annoying the missus. I produced a baseball bat and grabbed one by the neck and threatened to use the bat on him if it continued. It stopped.

If the law is useless here we have the right to defend ourselves.

'if the law is useless'.. my point is, we should fix that instead of descending into a vigilante based community.

You were lucky that you were around to do that, but if you weren't, what would have happened?
    Or later when they could come back and brick your windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

She should have kept walking regardless! Idiot!!!

Then it seems you are in agreement with me.

Apart from the part where you wanted the police to go beating people up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

You think the scum should be allowed to take over our towns and villages ?

Maybe it's not the first time? Maybe she was tired of living in fear.

She's the last person to blame.

I wish more, me included, did it

• Registered Users Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

LuasSimon wrote: »
    You think the scum should be allowed to take over our towns and villages ?

I think they already have in some cases.

What do you suggest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

'if the law is useless'.. my point is, we should fix that instead of descending into a vigilante based community.

You were lucky that you were around to do that, but if you weren't, what would have happened?
    Or later when they could come back and brick your windows.

The law does nothing to stop this behaviour and it's unlikely to change.

Sometimes you have to make a stand and no way was I letting teenagers abuse my other half every day.

Lots have countries don't have this problem because scobes would get a hiding from the locals/police if they started to intimidate people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MFPM

I'd have no issue with the guards slapping the heads off these knackers. Won't happen sadly.

Can we less of that language FFS.

I'd have no issue with the guards slapping the heads off these knackers. Won't happen sadly.

Ye, fine, but it doesn't mean we are in agreement.

• Advertisement

I think we are broadly speaking.

How far do you want this violent police force to go?

Advertisement