Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman pushed into Royal Canal

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

God knows what was going on in her head

She should’ve got a safe distance away (hint - AWAY from the canal bank) and then rang the shades

Apparently I’m completely wrong for pointing this out

yeah - I think its fair to say (and hindsight is particularly useful here) that if you are going to take someone on, then be careful how you do it - and in no way does that blame her for the consequences. What happened after was out of order and there should be consequences for those involved (particularly now the woman is probably half scared to go out, let alone approach a group of youngsters).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

MFPM wrote: »
    Can we less of that language FFS.

You’re probably getting upset because people associate that word with Travellers as a slur.. This isn’t the case here. This is knacker behaviour and what I think of when I think of knackers. And these are complete and utter knacks. However if you prefer we can call scumbags. Or scrotes.. Filth. Scum. Urchins.

Also the irony of complaining about language and saying FFS is gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Lack of fathers and decent male role models in their lives

I wouldn't even say it's about male role models in their lives and fathers, rather due to the complete lack of decent parenting, role models and a community that encourages and brags about being an absolute arsehole.

I was raised by mum, and if I'd ever dared act like that to someone she'd have not only battered me and shamed me to the whole family, she'd tell me she was disappointed in me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

So I’m wrong in stating what she did was totally naive?

She decided the time was right to give a lecture to a crowd of scumbag teens while standing DIRECTLY in front of the canal bank

Do you think that was clever??

What would be clever and protect you is never leaving the house without a shotgun or a concealed firearm at least. That is illegal in this country, because that is what the people have allowed lawmakers to do.

People should either be legally allowed to protect themselves by all means necessary, which they clearly are not, or there should be a functioning police system to protect them, which also clearly there is not. People shouldn't have to live in fear playing streetwise games with scumbags to survive. That's a failed state and we need to bring down the entire system that facilitates this.

God knows what was going on in her head

She should’ve got a safe distance away (hint - AWAY from the canal bank) and then rang the shades

Apparently I’m completely wrong for pointing this out

You're completely wrong for blaming the victim, which is what you're doing here & what you did on the other thread this was discussed in

• Advertisement

Biker79 wrote: »

Yet this is what liberalism is doing for us in Ireland. Hordes of feral youth who are untouchable. Hordes of junkies/ alcos/ homeless in our urban centres. Dublin City is on its way to becoming unliveable in many parts, because of these anti-social degenerates.

The only political angle you have here is that years of cutbacks and under funding is having an effect on our society.

Liberalism? Left Vs Right? etc etc has no real place in this.

You can be liberal and still support a better funded police/ judicial system that would crack down on this sort of nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Often times I don't even feel like it's the gardaí at fault - it's the judicial system in general that seem to be leniant even on repeat offenders.

It comes down to a lack of respect for others. Social media has a large part to play in that, along with poor role models.

Often times I don't even feel like it's the gardaí at fault - it's the judicial system in general that seem to be leniant even on repeat offenders.

It comes down to a lack of respect for others. Social media has a large part to play in that, along with poor role models.

yes!

Its a multi level problem, but trending towards a breakdown in society.

Simply blaming it on one thing (Rise of liberalism, the left, the right, lack of a few slaps on the head) - isn't going to cut it.

More funding of the justice system and better deterrents (as well as support where needed) - but no one campaigns for long term improvement as it takes time and dedication and doesn't win votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Why would the judicial system want to reform when the merry go round of repeat offenders are its bread and butter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

kenmm wrote: »
    The only political angle you have here is that years of cutbacks and under funding is having an effect on our society.

Liberalism? Left Vs Right? etc etc has no real place in this.

You can be liberal and still support a better funded police/ judicial system that would crack down on this sort of nonsense.

No amount of extra government spending will compensate for a lack of civic or personal responsibility.

BTW, I do support liberalism. But I think it has taken a wrong direction in Ireland. Why that is, I can't say exactly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

She should have kept walking regardless! Idiot!!!

You sound like the sort of person who would give a dig out at evictions, or cut the grass in the labour camp, just to avoid anything unpleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

bubblypop wrote: »
    You're completely wrong for blaming the victim, which is what you're doing here & what you did on the other thread this was discussed in

I’m not blaming her. I’m saying it wasn’t a clever or smart thing she did. Not condoning the attack

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Not victim blaming, just saying it wasn’t a clever move

Not a clever move to lecture a group of teens with my back directly to the canal as they surround me.

Don’t start into the amateur lectures to little toe rags - instead get away , Go a fair distance from the canal Then ring the shades if need be.

Fair play to her for standing up to them. She's obviously a brave woman who isn't willing to put up with being abused by little skangers while going about her business. We need a lot more like her.

Not unsurprisingly, the same people who were downplaying the incident are also critical of the victim for daring to stand up for herself.

Yep, imagine being a guard & arresting the same little scummy juveniles over & ovet, only for them to keep receiving cautions.When they eventually do go to court they receive cautions & suspended sentences over & over.
    All with the background of parents threatening complaints against you.

I’m not blaming her. I’m saying it wasn’t a clever or smart thing she did. Not condoning the attack
    You were - there's no denying it.
    She shouldn’t be giving lectures to them on the side of the canal

• Registered Users Posts: 11,399 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

The worrying thing is that instead of any of these perps being punished for their actions (like a lot of posters have highlighted already) that most of them will probably be young fathers by the time they are 17. And most of them probably won't have any formal education post-Leaving (if they even get that far).

Feral youth raise feral youth. It's like the water cycle.

Phoebas wrote: »
    You were - there's no denying it.

That’s different from blaming her for the attack

Personally as a well built some would say phisycally imposing male I wouldn’t dream of starting to give a lecture to a group of teen scumbags directly beside a canal river bank

What I am saying is the teens were wrong but she shouldn’t be putting herself in such situations

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭briany

Fair play to her for standing up to them. She's obviously a brave woman who isn't willing to put up with being abused by little skangers while going about her business. We need a lot more like her.

Not unsurprisingly, the same people who were downplaying the incident are also critical of the victim for daring to stand up for herself.

It's actually just common sense. Confronting groups of knackers like that probably isn't going to end well for you unless you have the physical capacity to back up your words. Love to see them be taught a lesson when they harass otherwise peaceable people, but life isn't some movie - you get more people like her standing up to these groups and what is more likely to happen is that you just start to hear of a higher incidence of beatings, robberies and the like.

Wounded pride sure can hurt, but it will heal significantly quicker than a stab wound or drowning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Feral youth raise feral youth. It's like the water cycle.

Very droll.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

It obviously has a racist element in it but without trying to upset anyone, I really hope that the story doesn't evolve as 'Ireland has a problem with racism' because really that's just taking responsibility away from the attackers and putting it on society as a whole. Maybe Ireland has a problem with random racist abuse, or even discrimination, but the main problems here are more likely drugs and a lack of fear of the penal system.

Like others have said, any number of things could have led to these type of underclass people assaulting someone. I think anyone confronting them for any reason would have ended up in the canal. Of course I'll be happy to have racism added to the charges and hopefully it results in a harsher punishment, but they'll probably laugh it off and be heroes amongst their peers.

• Advertisement

What I am saying is the teens were wrong but she shouldn’t be putting herself in such situations

You and I have very different definitions of victim blaming.

She didn't put herself in a situation. She was minding her own business when they started racially abusing her.
    It was all on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

And most of them probably won't have any formal education post-Leaving (if they even get that far).

Neither here nor there whether thay have education beyond Leaving Cert. It's OK not to go to university.

You and I have very different definitions of victim blaming.

She didn't put herself in a situation. She was minding her own business when they started racially abusing her.
    It was all on them.

I said earlier my advice would’ve been - get away from the incident ASAP, get to safety then ring the guards

NOT

Start into a full blown lecture at the canal bank while surrounded by the teens and with your back to the open canal.

Sorry now if people think I’m being harsh on her. I’m hoping she and others learn from this and yes- report the incident and bring the full force of the law on the perps but don’t take them on alone and at a canal bank

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

DubInMeath wrote: »
    The violence around the drugs trade is increasing, but that's due to the profitability of it and the fact that it's not just a Dublin problem or limited to poorer areas like it was in the 80s.

it was mostly heroin back then.
    We forget we've everyone and their dog doing coke and RTE etc. are riddled with it.
    This finances the scrotes killing each other in the suburbs.
    Gerry Ryan's coke didn't come from Brown Thomas.

briany wrote: »
    It's actually just common sense. Confronting groups of knackers like that probably isn't going to end well for you unless you have the physical capacity to back up your words. Love to see them be taught a lesson when they harass otherwise peaceable people, but life isn't some movie - you get more people like her standing up to these groups and what is more likely to happen is that you just start to hear of a higher incidence of beatings, robberies and the like.

Wounded pride sure can hurt, but it will heal significantly quicker than a stab wound or drowning.
    I wouldn't blame anyone for walking away, and for sure she would have known there were risks in confronting them, but I'd like to think that in most cases this kind of thing wouldn't have escalated in the way it did.

Are we all to just cower when we see teenagers misbehaving?
    Thankfully we have people like this woman who aren't willing to lie down.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Thankfully we have people like this woman who aren't willing to lie down.

She sure showed them.

She didn't out herself in any situation, they started on her, she stood up for herself.
    Pity there isn't more like hrr.

Maybe you think she shouldn't go anywhere alone? Maybe she should stay insife. Or even better yet.......just stay in whatever country she is from?

bubblypop wrote: »
    She didn't out herself in any situation, they started on her, she stood up for herself.
    Pity there isn't more like hrr.

Maybe you think she shouldn't go anywhere alone? Maybe she should stay insife. Or even better yet.......just stay in whatever country she is from?

Bubbly

Why are you twisting the advice I already gave

She sure showed them.
    I don't think she was attempting to 'show them'. She was attempting to stand up for herself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Blaaz_ wrote: »
    Hard to blame anyone in dublin for carrying a knife nowadays....

them.young lads wont face sanction and general concensus seems to be just put up with abuse/walk away....dont think anyone should have to anyway

Never any excuse for carrying a knife unless you’re a chef or something. ****heads like these need to be punished rather than the rest of us descending to their level.

Advertisement