Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman pushed into Royal Canal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

As for whether she should have stood up for herself or not she looks pretty much cornered there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭i_surge

They won't be laughing when surrounded in the clink by hardened criminals. Law needs to come down like a ton of bricks on pond scum, no suspended sentences after repeat offences.

There must be political gold in this by now.

If it isn't done soon it will open things up for some nutjob hard right government in the medium term if the problem is left to fester anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Sorry now if people think I’m being harsh on her. I’m hoping she and others learn from this.

While I get your point, that reads extremely harsh tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Blaaz_ wrote: »
    Hard to blame anyone in dublin for carrying a knife nowadays....

them.young lads wont face sanction and general concensus seems to be just put up with abuse/walk away....dont think anyone should have to anyway

Agree with the last point.
    I'd prefer to live my life with the risk of something like this happening to me rather than live it being completely powerless in the face of a group of teenagers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Omackeral wrote: »

My advice to both myself my wife and anyone really would be to get away from the gang then once safe ring the guards

Not engage them on the canal bank. That will never end well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Nothing will happen to the kids. They will be send on the youth diversion scheme (of which they are probably already on. All records expunged when they hit 18.

The Programme for Government also has piece in this on which they want to extend the Youth Diversion Scheme up to 24. A clean free hit for young people to commit crime after crime after crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Nothing will happen to the kids. They will be send on the youth diversion scheme (of which they are probably already on. All records expunged when they hit 18.

The Programme for Government also has piece in this on which they want to extend the Youth Diversion Scheme up to 24. A clean free hit for young people to commit crime after crime after crime.

Infantilising 18-24 year olds.
    You're old enough to join the army, buy alcohol, and drive a car but unaccountable for your actions.

Sorry now if people think I’m being harsh on her. I’m hoping she and others learn from this

You were mocking her. Saying she wouldn't win any Einstein awards and she isn't the cleverest. Imo that's mocking and definitely harsh on the victim of an assault.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

***** but they would do this to anyone. So I second the whole making it about race thing being a mistake. We honestly do need to do something because these same kids are gonna bring other kids into the world and the whole thing before you know it ends up just being a huge disaster. This isn't an isolated incident; pushing the women into the river looks dramatic, but this is happening everywhere. All these kids are like clones of the other as well, it's like the Dublin scumbag version of the film Children of the corn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Phoebas wrote: »
    Boards has become a strange place.

A thread about an attack that clearly had a racist element to it and we have some posters bending over backwards to deny the racism and other posters trying to steer it into a thread about the left.

If you think that's mad there is another thread where people are trying to defend paedophilia.

Definitely becoming stranger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56,343 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Scummy thing to do to that woman..

Could have killed her..

The cops were called, and a no show, is this right?

The more and more I see and read every day, paints our country as quite feral..

There is just no real deterrent to scum behaviour..

If you think that's mad there is another thread where people are trying to defend paedophilia.

Definitely becoming stranger

I think that people are finding it harder and harder to realise that racial slurs used during an attack doesn't make it necessarily a racist attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

Racist Scumbags, lock them up and throw away the key, they'll be of no use to society anyway.Some posters having a go at the woman for trying to stand up these yobs are a disgrace.

BTW, a similar incident happened in Dalkey about a month ago. Gang of scum threw a guy with a disability into the sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

BTW, a similar incident happened in Dalkey about a month ago. Gang of scum threw a guy with a disability into the sea.
    similar thing happened to a lad with special needs in a wheelchair a few years ago, no one ever charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Says it all when the guards never showed up... so a gang of youths throw Chinese woman in canal after racially abusing her and the cops didn’t deem that worthy enough of even showing up to the distraught woman.
    No wonder the likes of this happening when they know they will get away it..

You were mocking her. Saying she wouldn't win any Einstein awards and she isn't the cleverest. Imo that's mocking and definitely harsh on the victim of an assault.

I’m saying it wasnt the cleverest move to start into giving a lecture to a crowd of scumbags (yes under 18 but age is irrelevant) while directly behind the canal bank

Sorry now if this is out of order

But I wouldn’t advise anyone to do that no matter what abuse was thrown - get to safety and then ring the guards.

Don’t confront them at the canal bank - it’s never going to end well

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

The parents of these vermin have no doubt seen the video of what their kids are like.

Unfortunately we can only abort up until 26 weeks should be 26 years for all these skum.

But as has been said nothing will happen to these cockroaches no consequences for anything in ireland just walk around dublin city centre a complete ****hole epidemic of skanks junkies dealers and skum... local salt of the earth skum....all paid for by the taxpayer...staycation my arse I wouldn't send a dog to this hole

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

walshb wrote: »
    Scummy thing to do to that woman..

Could have killed her..

The cops were called, and a no show, is this right?

The more and more I see and read every day, paints our country as quite feral..

There is just no real deterrent to scum behaviour..

Agree totally. But your last sentence should read that there is absolutely no deterrent to scum behaviour and the people who run the country don't care.

I’m saying it wasnt the cleverest move to start into giving a lecture to a crowd of scumbags (yes under 18 but age is irrelevant) while directly behind the canal bank

But I wouldn’t advise anyone to do that no matter what abuse was thrown - get to safety and then ring the guards.

I agree with you..

My advice to anyone here is flee. Leave the area. Protect yourself as much as..

Anyway, too late for that.

In a perfect world none of this stuff would happen.

Teens like this are immature. They aren’t able to understand as much as they should, the possible devastation of their actions. Throw on alcohol, and mob mentality, and its sickening what can happen.

Our society needs to come down like a ton of bricks on these acts...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

While vigilanteism is never ideal, sometimes it is the only solution within a society where law & order cannot be maintained or provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

I think if your child gets to late teens and hasnt been taught not to throw little chinese women into canals, you as a parent should also be punished.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

stfu will you, having a go at the victim because she stood up to the yobs is a disgrace, think before you post:(

Not victim blaming, just saying it wasn’t a clever move

Not a clever move to lecture a group of teens with my back directly to the canal as they surround me.

Don’t start into the amateur lectures to little toe rags - instead get away , Go a fair distance from the canal Then ring the shades if need be.

You're putting responsibility on her for being attacked. That is victim blaming..

Absolute hero. That's what makes the video so hard to watch. She's so defiant but there's something unsettling about the way she loses control and her yelp as she is pushed in. Thank god she is okay. Hope she has good support and knows how inspiring she is for standing up to them. She actually tried to treat them like humans and they responded like animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

harr wrote: »
    Says it all when the guards never showed up... so a gang of youths throw Chinese woman in canal after racially abusing her and the cops didn’t deem that worthy enough of even showing up to the distraught woman.
    No wonder the likes of this happening when they know they will get away it..

This, for me, was the worst part of the story

UDAWINNER wrote: »
    stfu will you, having a go at the victim because she stood up to the yobs is a disgrace, think before you post:(

Nonsense...

Poster offering advice...

I would never tell anyone to remonstrate or confront a gang that are harassing you..

Get the fook away, and report to the cops..

It’s so sad, but “doing the right thing,” as you seem to be suggesting, can cost you a lot...

It’s potentially fatal. And has been in so many instances..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

Omackeral wrote: »

I hope people learn to carry pepper spray. Little bawbags wouldn’t have been tiktoking that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

You're putting responsibility on her for being attacked. That is victim blaming..

I don't understand this post, it seems to me that anyone who confronts a bunch of little scumbags while standing with their back to the canal is risking being pushed into said canal.
    That's not saying they are to blame if they end up in that canal but their odds of not ending up in that canal would be drastically improved by being on a different road after walking away.

• Advertisement

This could easily have been fatal, easily

It’s bad enough as it is but Thank god she managed to get out of the canal after they pushed her in.

I still stand by my advice, in circumstances like this DO NOT start into impromptu “canal bank” Lectures with a crowd of scumbags

Instead get the hell away and once you are personally safe then contact the garda.

Advertisement