Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman pushed into Royal Canal

Options

Comments

walshb wrote: »
    Had she left the scene and not confronted them is my point.

Leaving her house has nothing to do with it. She confronted them and they did what they did..

We all know what they did...

And I am not blaming her. The scum committed the act.

You are simply missing the bigger picture...

That is the dangers of confronting a gang on your own..

You are missing the picture.
    This lady was out minding her own business when a gang of feral youths did or said something unacceptable, to her.
    She then called them out on their behaviour.
    She did nothing wrong, they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

They’ll attack anyone. It has absolutely nothing to do with race, gender or sexuality. It’s to get a laugh.

They racially abused her before pushing her into the canal, so of course it was something to do with race.

They were racist yobs, but probably had a range of other defects along with their racism

• Registered Users Posts: 56,343 ✭✭✭✭walshb

bubblypop wrote: »
    If I see a gang of teenagers doing something wrong, then yes, I absolutely call them out on it.
    If more people did, society might not be as bad as it is now.

But can’t you also see the other side? The risk you put yourself in by doing so?

We have a police force here that are paid to keep us safe...

Use them...

Advising people to confront unruly gangs is crazy advice. Reckless!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

If I see a gang of teenagers doing something wrong, then yes, I absolutely call them out on it.
    If more people did, society might not be as bad as it is now.

You could end up getting injured if they had a go at you, being a woman would make no difference to that lot.

And apart from that they would just laugh at you, its not as if your lecture is going to turn them into decent members of society.

You are missing the picture.
    This lady was out minding her own business when a gang of feral youths did or said something unacceptable, to her.
    She then called them out on their behaviour.
    She did nothing wrong, they did.

I am missing nothing.. they are scum. We all agree here..

The big picture is the dangers of people confronting scum...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Pond rats being pond rats and a touch of pack mentality to add.brave men.
    Get them same pond rats on their own and they would sh1te themselves if you said boo to them.
    The scum population of pond rats in this once great country are thriving thanks to generous handouts and a laughable justice system.
    The fade haircut and the tracksuit is the marching uniform of the pedigree pond rat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

They were racist thugs. They abused her and used racial slurs. However, they threw her in the water when she chased and confronted them. They were never going to listen to her, so to shut her up, that's what they did. Bravado by a couple of them, cheered on by their mates.

The problem is, there's nothing to stop them. As someone has said, they're not afraid of the law, because in the main the law doesn't represent a threat to them.

They're no idiots, once they turn 18, they stop this kind of stuff (perhaps to go on to more serious criminal behaviour) because being tried as an adult will result in convictions that follow them around AND they're more likely to have their collars felt. I've seen this happen, ie staying under the Garda radar, but having the reputation, which is useful for certain 'professions' :pac:.

I read where she says she is now worried for her son, if she lives near them that may not be an unfounded fear.

The other thing that occurs to me, is that if nothing is done, then throwing someone in the canal will be a new olympic sport for these thugs, having now crossed that line.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭trihead

Pretty shocking ( though not surprised due to resources etc) that the gardai did not come out after they were rang when it happened. She went to the station at 10pm that night herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

trihead wrote: »
    Pretty shocking ( though not surprised due to resources etc) that the gardai did not come out after they were rang when it happened. She went to the station at 10pm that night herself.

This to me is the real story here

Why the hell didn’t the guards proactively go to the scene of the crime and gather evidence and find the perpetrators?

It sounds like it was all a case of too much like hard work for the guards? Unless I’m missing something ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,802 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Phoebas wrote: »
    They were racist yobs, but probably had a range of other defects along with their racism

Laughed my hole off at the way you put that. Brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

They were racist thugs. They abused her and used racial slurs. However, they threw her in the water when she chased and confronted them. They were never going to listen to her, so to shut her up, that's what they did. Bravado by a couple of them, cheered on by their mates.

The problem is, there's nothing to stop them. As someone has said, they're not afraid of the law, because in the main the law doesn't represent a threat to them.

They're no idiots, once they turn 18, they stop this kind of stuff (perhaps to go on to more serious criminal behaviour) because being tried as an adult will result in convictions that follow them around AND they're more likely to have their collars felt. I've seen this happen, ie staying under the Garda radar, but having the reputation, which is useful for certain 'professions' :pac:.

I read where she says she is now worried for her son, if she lives near them that may not be an unfounded fear.

The other thing that occurs to me, is that if nothing is done, then throwing someone in the canal will be a new olympic sport for these thugs, having now crossed that line.

Alright calm down they are regular youngsters being jackasses they're hardly some hard core fascist group. Backs to the wall is one thing, but a canal behind you is a different story the invite proved too much for one

Usually you can just give just back to them; in their language however somebody from not just beyond their postcode but somewhere else altogether can prove far more of a figure of mirth to these kids It's futile.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

The_Brood wrote: »
    The Garda now acting on twitter like the problem is that Irish society is hateful and they need to lecture us against "hate crime."

Absolutely despicable. They know perfectly well that normal people don't act this way, this is the result of feral scum thinking they are untouchable.

The problem is 1) you don't do your jobs and 2) lawmakers are only interested in protecting offenders and punish anyone willing to protect themselves.

Just repulsive garbage. Sack everyone and everything involved with law enforcement in Ireland and rebuild it all from the ground up.

The cheek of them when they can't even be arsed to go out when they were called. Possibly if the garda were going after people they wouldn't do it.

They know they can away with it. I often walk along the canal I have never ever seen a Garda around there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Phoebas wrote: »
    They racially abused her before pushing her into the canal, so of course it was something to do with race.

If she was fat, ginger, had bad acne or whatever else these cnuts would of abused her for that as well.
    Race was obvious so they went with that.
    She was very naive to say anything to them.

statesaver wrote: »
    If she was fat, ginger, had bad acne or whatever else these cnuts would of abused her for that as well.

You don't know that. You should be able to for a walk without getting abused and thrown in the canal.

We shouldn't have to be afraid of groups of kids. And run away when they abuse you.

You don't know that. You should be able to for a walk without getting abused and thrown in the canal.

We shouldn't have to be afraid of groups of kids. And run away when they abuse you.

Of course we shouldn’t have to be afraid..

But we don’t live in a perfect world were reason and pleading and asking always resolves issues..

Otherwise the woman would not have ended up almost dead..

In a perfect world the teens would have apologised and wished her well...or better still, not harassed and abused her in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Bobblehats wrote: »
    Alright calm down they are regular youngsters being jackasses they're hardly some hard core fascist group. Backs to the wall is one thing, but a canal behind you is a different story the invite proved too much for one

Usually you can just give just back to them; in their language however somebody from not just beyond their postcode but somewhere else altogether can prove far more of a figure of mirth to these kids It's futile.

Kindly don't tell me to calm down.

Usually you definitely CANNOT give them as good as they give. Perhaps you have had the good fortune to have never encountered thugs like these, but merely their lightweight imitators. I have had the experience of having to back away from such situations, angry that my right of way has been denied to me. However, I've never been assaulted, but that's because I walked away rather than insist on my right to pass by unmolested.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

statesaver wrote: »
    Race was obvious so they went with that.

So if you hate all different people equally you’re not racist? Why do Irish people always try to excuse our scumbags this way?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

So if you hate all different people equally you’re not racist? Why do Irish people always try to excuse our scumbags this way?

OK where is the love. But seriously where's the hate?

walshb wrote: »
    Of course we shouldn’t have to be afraid..

But we don’t live in a perfect world were reason and pleading and asking always resolves issues..

Otherwise the woman would not have ended up almost dead..

In a perfect world the teens would have apologised and wished her well...or better still, not harassed and abused her in the first place.

Not looking for a perfect world just one where they were arrested or the Garda at least pretended to give a **** about the safety of people who are just going about their business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

You can't hang about in Dublin. This is a primary example of why. You'll always run into some wa*nker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Poster walshb is a former boxer at a decent standard, and presumably capable of looking after himself. So when he suggests that 'say/do nothing, get away as quick as possible' is the best course of action, I think he's probably worth listening to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Finally there will be justice for scum like this because of the racist element, I'm sure they've plenty of prior offences (really would be surprising if this was the first incident ) not acted upon and now with social media pressure they'll actually get the sentence they deserve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭TheBlackPill

Our Justice system needs to become a lot more callous when dealing with this garbage. they should be arrested at gunpoint, have their trial and be locked away for 10+ years. Their families should be heavily penelised too.. ie loss of all welfare beneftits and if they then misbehave long jail terms too.
    The problem here is at most they will get a caution and may only face a mild jail sentence after 20+ convictions(and 100+ unrecorded crimes)

Poster walshb is a former boxer at a decent standard, and presumably capable of looking after himself. So when he suggests that 'say/do nothing, get away as quick as possible' is the best course of action, I think he's probably worth listening to.

Yes, however you shouldn't have to. You should be able to go for a walk without getting attacked by groups of scumbags who know they can do what they like and get away with it.

There are never garda along the canal and they didn't bother coming out after being called.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Finally there will be justice for scum like this because of the racist element, I'm sure they've plenty of prior offences (really would be surprising if this was the first incident ) not acted upon and now with social media pressure they'll actually get the sentence they deserve.

It's odd how many people almost seem pissed off this is getting attention because she's foreign

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭i_surge

Yes, however you shouldn't have to. You should be able to go for a walk without getting attacked by groups of scumbags who know they can do what they like and get away with it.

There are never garda along the canal and they didn't bother coming out after being called.

Any gardai here to comment?

Sure. :rolleyes:

Didn't matter who it was they were going to get fuked into the water anyway.

It's odd how many people almost seem pissed off this is getting attention because she's foreign

A naive foreigner who doesn't realise she lives in a hole of a place called Dublin that has a serious problem with scumbag youth and druggies in and around the city centre.
    Don't tar all Irish people because of a few cnuts in Dublin.

Not looking for a perfect world just one where they were arrested or the Garda at least pretended to give a **** about the safety of people who are just going about their business.

100 percent agree here...

It is quite shocking that Gardai did not seem to treat this all that seriously..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Fleetwoodmac

That saying " show me a boy at 7 years and I'll show you the man" comes to mind here... these fellas have their life mapped out for them and whether charges are made against them won't change their behaviour. Decency wasn't modelled or taught to them, they've probably never been disciplined properly. This lady assumed reasoning with them might ignite a spark of decency... but they're well past that.

But don't assume all teenagers wearing trackies and a skin fade are all the same. I've shown this video to my teenagers and their friends ( all of whom wear the current uniform of fades and trackies) and they were all horrified. They don't go near the cities and they're worlds have gotten much smaller because they too are terrified of degenerates who sadly seem to multiplying everywhere, not just Dublin.

Advertisement