Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For Sale ad includes full picture of my house

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Hollybeg

If I had a nice expensive car sitting outside my house, I know I wouldn't want its existance broadcast across the internet. Depending on the postcode, it might not look out of place however not wanting that fact broadcast for all and sundry to see is not unreasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Muppet Man wrote: »
    If I had a Ferrari parked outside my house I wouldn’t be keen on letting people know where it was parked (for example)

You probably shouldn't have it parked outside your house if you dont want people to see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭i_surge

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    You probably shouldn't have it parked outside your house if you dont want people to see it.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Smiley11

Oh jeebus...what exactly do you need to hide seeing that you live in a public place? You do realise prospective buyers will do drive bys & see your house too? Omg!

God forbid you might ever need to sell your house...I'm sure you'd insist that the photographer cropped out any other properties in the vicinity because thats the first thought that would pop into your mind in a life changing decision.

Although if yours is one I saw this week with bins loitering out the front, then I'd insist that was cropped out. First world problems at its finest.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Hollybeg wrote: »
    If I had a nice expensive car sitting outside my house, I know I wouldn't want its existance broadcast across the internet. Depending on the postcode, it might not look out of place however not wanting that fact broadcast for all and sundry to see is not unreasonable.

If you can afford a Ferrari, then I'm sure you've got gates and hedging obscuring it.

• Advertisement

Gumbo wrote: »
    It’s visible from the public domain.
    Rear garden is where you can reasonably expect a right to privacy not the front elevation of the property.

Peeping toms can still call around in real life and peep through the bushes.....a photo on my home is not gonna stop a peeping tom ( sorry to all toms out there).

Right to privacy exists in private. In your sitting room, you are on private property and being viewable from the public area doesn't change data protection. It's an image, it's recorded, it's data. It's not a person glancing as they walk by.

I don't follow your comment about peeping. Peeping is an invasion of privacy was my point even when the Tom is in public.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Hi OP

Professional photographer here

You have zero rights over any material that includes images of your property if the photo/video is from a public place.

If you were the subject of the photo the photographer would require a model release, if the material was being used and payment was involved

Your house is a private from the front as newgrange

That said, if you ask your neighbours nicely I'm sure they will oblige.

I am also curious to learn what your concern is

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Right to privacy exists in private. In your sitting room, you are on private property and being viewable from the public area doesn't change data protection. It's an image, it's recorded, it's data. It's not a person glancing as they walk by.

I don't follow your comment about peeping. Peeping is an invasion of privacy was my point even when the Tom is in public.

Is the ops car parking in his/her sitting room?. You would have a greater expectation of privacy inside your home than your car outside on your drive, I would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Joe Kane

Smee_Again wrote: »
    I wonder if the OP is driving on yellow plates, quite a few of my neighbours wouldn’t be too happy with photos of UK registered cars outside their house.

Why's that? Just wondering as I work for a company based in Armagh & my work van is on a UK reg.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I’m sorry but your talking using emotions rather that facts/ law.
    Nothing in your post has any basis in Irish law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Joe Kane wrote: »
    Why's that? Just wondering as I work for a company based in Armagh & my work van is on a UK reg.

Its an offence for an ROI resident to drive a foreign registered vehicle except in limited circumstances (a work vehicle being one), judging buy the age and mods on some of the cars I see around here they are not work vehicles, just left on UK plates for the cheap tax.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I have to take INTERNAL photos of peoples houses and upload these to a government website as part of jobs that I do, and there's no GDPR issues.

A photo of the front of a house, taken from a public area, is most definitely not an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

What’s the real reason your angry?

There is another issue here. I used to see it with a former landlord, a proper union head who liked to quote the law with no degree just to prove a point.
    I am guessing there is some other grudge or issue at play there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Smee_Again wrote: »
    Its an offence for an ROI resident to drive a foreign registered vehicle except in limited circumstances (a work vehicle being one), judging buy the age and mods on some of the cars I see around here they are not work vehicles, just left on UK plates for the cheap tax.

But then the car owner is breaking the law, not the person taking the photo of the house next door.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

I’m sorry but your talking using emotions rather that facts/ law.
    Nothing in your post has any basis in Irish law.

But apparently he's a member of An Garda Siochana, so he must be correct in this regard!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Dav010 wrote: »
    But then the car owner is breaking the law, not the person taking the photo of the house next door.

Oh, absolutely. I initially posited that the reason the OP was concerned was because he was driving on UK plates and he may not want photos of the car outside his house.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Another thread that clearly demonstrates why Boards is dying on it's feet. OP asked what is a fairly innocent question and obviously has their own reasons for doing so. Boards is supposed to be a Community Forum where people should be able to ask a question like this without sneering.

OP, I would have my own concerns if my home and car reg was published like that online. Could you contact the Estate Agents ask that the photos be cropped to cut out your house and car reg or that the reg is blacked out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

anewme wrote: »
    Another thread that clearly demonstrates why Boards is dying on it's feet. OP asked what is a fairly innocent question and obviously has their own reasons for doing so. Boards is supposed to be a Community Forum where people should be able to ask a question like this without sneering.

yep - its getting quite toxic at this stage. last year or so, the quality has went downhill a lot.

I would offer the OP some thoughts, but it doesn't matter at this stage as they probably had enough and quite rightly left.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I agree that he is perfectly entitled to ask about the pic of the house in EA sale ad.
    The fact that is or is not against the law, i have noticed that a lot here that people are talking whether legal or not.
    What has legality got tho do with people having an online chat about any topic?
    The mods and the people with loads of posts seem to be perticulary good at this.
    How does people know someone member of Gardai?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

if you have an issue with a post, report it don't moan about it in thread.
    if you have general site feedback please take it to the feedback forum

any more off-topic posts will result in an immediate stern frown and additional sanctions where necessary/appropriate.

Please do not reply to this post.

• Advertisement

I agree that he is perfectly entitled to ask about the pic of the house in EA sale ad.
    The fact that is or is not against the law, i have noticed that a lot here that people are talking whether legal or not.
    What has legality got tho do with people having an online chat about any topic?
    The mods and the people with loads of posts seem to be perticulary good at this.
    How does people know someone member of Gardai?

It's often the case that context is completely lost.

In this case it reads bit like the op was silly for daring to ask something like this because, yes , technically it is legal to take a photo with someone's house in it.

But the whole context here is that the op would prefer for this not to happen (and it could be for any number of private reasons, why do they need to explain?) and was really looking for constructive ways to approach this.

It's like too many people are just too focused on point scoring or having to prove something or validate themselves. And it really is killing the site.

Edit: will cut this because I was typing at the same time as mod.

Apologies!

Graham wrote: »
    Mod Note

if you have an issue with a post, report it don't moan about it in thread.
    if you have general site feedback please take it to the feedback forum

any more off-topic posts will result in an immediate stern frown and additional sanctions where necessary/appropriate.

Please do not reply to this post.

Block me now if you wish.
    That's the problem with the forum, if we do not like what you are saying we will shut you up.

DivingDuck wrote: »
    Privacy is very important to some people, the same way religion or sport or having children or any other "value" is important to some but not to others. You don't have to understand it or feel the same way to be respectful of these things.

— having a stalker
    — having difficult or dangerous family members
    — disliking the future prospect of data being scraped from such images to profile and track individuals
    — being up to questionable or illegal shenanigans
    — mental illness

The issue, as I see it, is that if you want to sell your house, and you have, for argument sake, a semi-d, and the neighbour doesn't want their house in the picture, then you, the person looking to sell your house, are at an immediate disadvantage, as generally speaking, to accommodate that request, your front-facing photos will look sh/te.

If you live in/near a nice area, you won't get away with using a drone to show proximity to things, you will have oddball crops and angles to try and avoid the neighbours house, and if the EA is lazy and just puts a blur over the other house, anyone interested in buying will likely take a step back, as the first thing that will generally pop into someone's head is 'there's something dodgy going on with that house'.

If there are legitimate reasons (I can't think of any) then I don't see why the requester would be annoyed at the prospect of having to share their reasoning.

In relation the specific issues you mentioned:

— having a stalker - Any half-decent stalker would already have a lot more information on you than a photo of your house contains

— having difficult or dangerous family members - Likely already know more about you anyway, and again, a photo of the house doesn't give them much, unless you're standing in the garden waving at the camera?

— disliking the future prospect of data being scraped from such images to profile and track individuals - I'd have thought a majority would agree that's far beyond any logical reasoning, and would fall into the 'mental illness' category below.

— being up to questionable or illegal shenanigans - World shouldn't have to accommodate you if you want to operate beyond the realms of civilised society.

— mental illness- Generic catch-all reasoning that everyone throws out that really doesn't mean anything and the world should not need to provide special accommodation for.

I do appreciate it's not a huge, over the top, end of the world request to make of a photographer, but my issue is more that it shouldn't be pandered to to make people feel special, as it just leads to more and more people asking silly things and spouting out GDPR and such when they haven't a notion what they're talking about.

I have still yet to hear a legitimate reason why a person wouldn't want their house to appear beside their neighbours house, if their neighbours house is being sold. It's just deliberate awkwardness on the part of the neighbour.

I could understand, for example, if you had (as other posters refer to above) a special, thief-magnet type of car in your driveway, that wouldn't normally be there. I could understand asking for a re-take of photos with the car moved elsewhere or such. There's perhaps a level of reasoning there. But a "I dont want my house in photos" stance is just, as above, deliberate awkwardness.

kenmm wrote: »
    It's often the case that context is completely lost.

In this case it reads bit like the op was silly for daring to ask something like this because, yes , technically it is legal to take a photo with someone's house in it.

I think the issue most people have, is that the request is definitely an unreasonable one. Most of the posts aren't necessarily giving the OP a kicking (maybe I'm picking them up wrong though) but more-so questioning the logic and reasoning the OP has as to wanting their house blurred out.

It is a very odd, unusual request.

If there are legitimate reasons (I can't think of any) then I don't see why the requester would be annoyed at the prospect of having to share their reasoning.

Just because you are unable to think of any reason that meets *your* criteria for legitimate reasons, doesn't mean that the op doesn't have any.
    And it's not really up to anyone to have to explain them.

That's different from It being potentially useful to share this information to help them out (or better advice can be given if we understand more).

It is a very odd, unusual request.

In your opinion, yes- and even if it is, who cares?

Why should they be met with a mixture of sarcasm and questioning, it's just more noise, no?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

kenmm wrote: »
    Just because you are unable to think of any reason that meets *your* criteria for legitimate reasons, doesn't mean that the op doesn't have any.
    And it's not really up to anyone to have to explain them.

That's different from It being potentially useful to share this information to help them out (or better advice can be given if we understand more).

Maybe the reason people are questioning the OP is so that too can learn the reasons behind it. Just like yourself asking the same questions in a different thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

I actually agree with you but most people here know i am a bit odd at best, i think it is un-professional of the EA.
    It is obviously a screenshot from google maps and i think its limited in what we can use.
    I would make a nice polite call to the EA saying locals were asking if you were selling based on pics.
    They may know someone who owns a camera and knows how to take pic...

Any politely calling an EA like that would be rightly treated as a nosey meddling smart arse and would probably be fobbed off. EA is answerable to their client, not the neighbours. What are the neighbours going to pay to the EA? 0

To quote your own post :

Maybe the reason people are questioning the OP is so that too can learn the reasons behind it. Just like yourself asking the same questions in a different thread.

AHH the classic trawling post history. You got me!

There is clearly a difference between asking a simple question on a very specific subject that relates to a personal situation and an open discussion on a large topic regarding public current affairs.

Here is a question, do you want to be part of an open community that encourages new members, where people can interact with each other and feel welcome?
    Or would you rather chase people away and be part of a closed group?

This is a discussion more suited to other places, maybe as mod you could move this out into its own thread?

Edit: you should have went further in the post history. There was a whole thread just for this sort of behaviour https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058067164/1

• Advertisement

anewme wrote: »

OP, I would have my own concerns if my home and car reg was published like that online. Could you contact the Estate Agents ask that the photos be cropped to cut out your house and car reg or that the reg is blacked out.

I just got a mod warning for what? it did not say...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement