Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rate my Team 20/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Chesty08 wrote: »
    Team draft:

Johnstone (Button)

Trent (c) KWP Justin (Mitchell, Johnson)

Son Aubameyang KdB Soucek Perez

Werner Martial (Wickham)

Think that’s a fairly solid team to begin with.

Planning on just sucking up the 0 points for GW1?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Team draft:

Johnstone (Button)

Trent (c) KWP Justin (Mitchell, Johnson)

Son Aubameyang KdB Soucek Perez

Werner Martial (Wickham)

Think that’s a fairly solid team to begin with.

That’s a lot of money on the bench week 1 plus Justin, Wickham and Johnson are all dodgy starters

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

Planning on just sucking up the 0 points for GW1?

Mainly yes! I’d rather KdB & Martial there than taking 1 week punt & taking hits to get them in.

@G&R I can definitely see Justin play GW1, Mitchell should start with PVA out. Johnson/Wickham placeholders for now. These should hopefully get me 4 points as auto subs.

I can see Soucek now potential problem with the Covid news

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

Mainly yes! I’d rather KdB & Martial there than taking 1 week punt & taking hits to get them in.

@G&R I can definitely see Justin play GW1, Mitchell should start with PVA out. Johnson/Wickham placeholders for now. These should hopefully get me 4 points as auto subs.

PvA is back in training though, so Mitchell might not be a starter for long.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Guaita (4.0)
    TAA Robertson KWP/Vinagre (4.0)
    Aubumyang Salah Son Richie (4.5)
    Antonio Adams Jimenez

Don't normally do "planned transfers" but KDB will be coming in almost instantly for PEA for me.

No United or Chelsea players, but plenty of options to switch across to them if needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Guaita (4.0)
    TAA Robertson KWP/Vinagre (4.0)
    Aubumyang Salah Son Richie (4.5)
    Antonio Adams Jimenez

Don't normally do "planned transfers" but KDB will be coming in almost instantly for PEA for me.

No United or Chelsea players, but plenty of options to switch across to them if needed.

I think about 35% of those playing are hoping more adopt this idea, those that buy him and bench him on GW1 might see some sort of price rise, although, you will also get those that don’t realise man city do not play in GW1 and have him anyway.

I think you have a decent team, but I think mane will outperform salah on opening gameweek, salah is skillful and tricky and will test the Leeds players, but mane will bring a more physical element to the game and I think firminho, might even get home goals this season, the game against Leeds could be like Norwich ... both teams capable of scoring and conceding.

I think you have a decent team, but I think mane will outperform salah on opening gameweek, salah is skillful and tricky and will test the Leeds players, but mane will bring a more physical element to the game and I think firminho, might even get home goals this season, the game against Leeds could be like Norwich ... both teams capable of scoring and conceding.
    Mane V Salah is a complete toss up. Last year I had Mane for the full season, also had him backed for top goal scorer. Much prefer him as a player, but reduced Milner minutes meaning more penalties for Salah give him the edge for me now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,575 ✭✭✭patmac

McCarthy,(Ryan)
    TAA, Vinagre, Tierney (Dallas,Branthwaite)
    Reed, Salah, ASM, Auba, Ali
    Ings,Werner, (Wickham)
    Going 2 keepers because they rotate well and in case Covid knocks out a team.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

The only downside with this plan is if your in any LMS competitions as your running the risk of going out in the first GW.

There is also the added risk of having at least 3 non playing players, that any injuries or covid relates absence and you could be playing catch up, whereas other players even if they take a -4 for GW2, could probably still be ahead of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Anyone going without Salah? I'd be selling him for Bruno GW2 anyway so tempted just to go without and spread the funds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,828 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Anyone going without Salah? I'd be selling him for Bruno GW2 anyway so tempted just to go without and spread the funds.

I am going no Livepool at all based on form and first three fixtures.
    Gives more options others cannot do.

Example:

McCarthy - (Nyland)

Justin - Vinagre-KWP-Doherty (Targett)

Son-JWP-Aubameyang (Gordon - Greenwood)

Jiminez-Werner-Kane

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Tempted but its so easy to go him to Bruno

I am going no Livepool at all based on form and first three fixtures.
    Gives more options others cannot do.

Example:

McCarthy - (Nyland)

Justin - Vinagre-KWP-Doherty (Targett)

Son-JWP-Aubameyang (Gordon - Greenwood)

Jiminez-Werner-Kane
    Liverpool have been top defenders/mids over the past 2 seasons. The options you gave by ignoring them aren’t as good as 2/3 of them. Salahs score for the past 3 season has been more than Kane has ever got

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭joeyboy11

I was gonna do the Salah gw 1 and swap for Bruno but decided to go with Mane instead. Big difference in ownership so could be a nice little head start on the masses if Salah blanks and mane hauls

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Liverpool have been top defenders/mids over the past 2 seasons. The options you gave by ignoring them aren’t as good as 2/3 of them. Salahs score for the past 3 season has been more than Kane has ever got

Teams not set for season. Transfers permitted. Over the first 3 gws at least I see it as an advantage going no Liverpool. Fixtures and form. Allows strong front three and midfield. Plus amount of 4.5m defenders makes the team flexible. Example targett comes in gw 3 v Fulham.

Always amuses me when people think in terms of seasons points. What should be looked at is blocks of 4-5 gws.

manual_man wrote: »
    Strongly considering going without any premium players. Currently on this:

McCarthy 4.0
    TAA Doherty Vinagre Tierney 4.0
    Son Alli Ziyech Greenwood 4.5
    Werner Ings Jimenez

0.5 i.t.b. for a little flexibility - Ings/Jimenez to Martial or Alli/Ziyeche to Pulisic/Mahrez etc. etc.

I like this concept. Especially this season with mid priced Chelsea and united players. Are you going through with it?

I quickly cane up with the below draft:

Ramsdale (4.0)
    TAA Van Dyke Tierney 4.0 4.0
    Son Ziyech Pulisic Greenwood 5.0
    Werner Martial Wood

Not ideal for gw 1 obviously and a very weak bench (not much thought put in) but I wonder what it would yield over the course of a season.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,915 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

joeyboy11 wrote: »
    I like this concept. Especially this season with mid priced Chelsea and united players. Are you going through with it?

I quickly cane up with the below draft:

Ramsdale (4.0)
    TAA Van Dyke Tierney 4.0 4.0
    Son Ziyech Pulisic Greenwood 5.0
    Werner Martial Wood

Not ideal for gw 1 obviously and a very weak bench (not much thought put in) but I wonder what it would yield over the course of a season.

I don't see the point in thinking about what a team would yield over the course of a season, you have a FT every week and can make more if you wish. Your team will constantly evolve over the season and you have to be able to jump on players as they hit form. With that in mind, that team doesn't allow you get any of the premium players in a single transfer. There are too many potentially explosive premium mids to ignore, you need at least one and then you can change between them.

I also think you are over-investing in ManU and Chelsea. While they can both put up big scores, both were inconsistent and with inexperienced managers. I'd want to see something from them before building a team around them, particularly at the expense of the proven best two teams in the league and their proven high scoring attacking players.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I was gonna do the Salah gw 1 and swap for Bruno but decided to go with Mane instead. Big difference in ownership so could be a nice little head start on the masses if Salah blanks and mane hauls

Or you could be playing catch up from the start if the opposite happens.
    Let's face it, if TAA isn't at full fitness it's more likely that the Robbo/Salah axis will hit the ground running than the Trent/Mane one.

Let's face it, if TAA isn't at full fitness it's more likely that the Robbo/Salah axis will hit the ground running than the Trent/Mane one.

I think Robbo is as likely to assist Mane as Salah (just from memory as a Liverpool fan)

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    I don't see the point in thinking about what a team would yield over the course of a season, you have a FT every week and can make more if you wish. Your team will constantly evolve over the season and you have to be able to jump on players as they hit form. With that in mind, that team doesn't allow you get any of the premium players in a single transfer. There are too many potentially explosive premium mids to ignore, you need at least one and then you can change between them.

I also think you are over-investing in ManU and Chelsea. While they can both put up big scores, both were inconsistent and with inexperienced managers. I'd want to see something from them before building a team around them, particularly at the expense of the proven best two teams in the league and their proven high scoring attacking players.

I phrased the last sentence poorly, I meant I wonder what a team without the top priced players, while still utilizing transfers and the chips, might yield over a season. mostly midfield - The defenders and forwards looked good in the drafts but like you said going with no city or Liverpool premium mids is a huge risk.

Not that it’s something I’ll go through with or recommend anyone else does. I just found it interesting when manual_man said he was strongly considering it. My midfield structure right now is is two premium (12, 11.5) one mid price (7.5 -8.5) And two budget options. I might actually tinker with one premium, three mid price and one budget.

• Advertisement

I’m starting with TAA and Robbo for the foreseeable future. It’s just a coin toss between mane and Salah as a placeholder for Bruno in gw 2. I’m comfortable going with mane.
    Won’t be captaining either by the way. Gonna stick it in Auba.

I’m starting with TAA and Robbo for the foreseeable future..

Me too, they’re both exceptionally consistent, set and forget defence for the first half of the year. Leave Salah and KDB there too, and I’ll spend my transfers on the other 5 attackers

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Teams not set for season. Transfers permitted. Over the first 3 gws at least I see it as an advantage going no Liverpool. Fixtures and form. Allows strong front three and midfield. Plus amount of 4.5m defenders makes the team flexible. Example targett comes in gw 3 v Fulham.

Always amuses me when people think in terms of seasons points. What should be looked at is blocks of 4-5 gws.

Not sure how you think the fixtures are bad in the first 3 games - Leeds first game of season - Klopp will be letting them know it's a new season and got to start the right way - Leeds are an unknown really - will they be a Norwich or Aston Villa type team.

In the game against Arsenal last week, Robertson had 15 crosses - :eek: if he gets even half of that in the league - the chances of goals for Salah/Mane are very high.

While leaving them out means you team is more flexible as you say - unless you plan on using a WC early, getting them back in may not be straight forward. If for example you wait until GW4 to get Trent, he could have gone up 0.2m by then and he's even hard to fit in.

Finally if you are right, your probably not going to have that much of a lead over those that go with pool assets, but if your wrong - the Trent is owned by 54% of teams, Salah 31%. That's going to hurt.

I'm quite surprised that Robbo is only owned by 13% so far.

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Not sure how you think the fixtures are bad in the first 3 games - Leeds first game of season - Klopp will be letting them know it's a new season and got to start the right way - Leeds are an unknown really - will they be a Norwich or Aston Villa type team.

In the game against Arsenal last week, Robertson had 15 crosses - :eek: if he gets even half of that in the league - the chances of goals for Salah/Mane are very high.

While leaving them out means you team is more flexible as you say - unless you plan on using a WC early, getting them back in may not be straight forward. If for example you wait until GW4 to get Trent, he could have gone up 0.2m by then and he's even hard to fit in.

Finally if you are right, your probably not going to have that much of a lead over those that go with pool assets, but if your wrong - the Trent is owned by 54% of teams, Salah 31%. That's going to hurt.

I think Leeds are going to make things difficult for Liverpool I don't think Liverpool will hammer them. Bielsa plays a high intensity game. After that Liverpool have Chelsea and Arsenal.
    Of course you are right I could be completely wrong. I feel it is a risk worth taking Liverpool seem to be struggling to lift it again since they won the league.Psychological?
    You make a great point on Robertson will probably get him in gw4.
    You make

• Registered Users Posts: 6,915 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I think Leeds are going to make things difficult for Liverpool I don't think Liverpool will hammer them. Bielsa plays a high intensity game. After that Liverpool have Chelsea and Arsenal.
    Of course you are right I could be completely wrong. I feel it is a risk worth taking Liverpool seem to be struggling to lift it again since they won the league.Psychological?
    You make a great point on Robertson will probably get him in gw4.
    You make

Its not surprising that they struggled to lift it after they won the league. I'd say Klopp will have them raring to go for the new season, retaining their title would be a great motivator.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,259 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I've read a lot about Liverpool's form.

What form?

It's pre-season. It's all fitness.

Plus, they played fine against Arsenal a couple of weeks ago, while winning 7-2 in a friendly yesterday.

A bigger issue would be if you think Leeds will contain them because it's an intense Bielsa side looking to make an instant impact in the PL.

Personally, I don't see the sense in having a Utd or City premium mid/forward as a placeholder in GW1, and no Liverpool premium mid/forward in GW1. You're asking a Utd/City option to outscore Liverpool's option in one game versus two. That's dangerous.

I can see why you'd earmark Salah ---> Bruno though for GW2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭Coybig_

SlickRic wrote: »

What form?

Plus, they played fine against Arsenal a couple of weeks ago, while winning 7-2 in a friendly yesterday.

A bigger issue would be if you think Leeds will contain them because it's an intense Bielsa side looking to make an instant impact in the PL.

Personally, I don't see the sense in having a Utd or City premium mid/forward as a placeholder in GW1, and no Liverpool premium mid/forward in GW1. You're asking a Utd/City option to outscore Liverpool's option in one game versus two. That's dangerous.

Since the restart they have played 10 competitive games. They have won just 5 of them. That form is quite recent.

There is ample evidence to support a drop off in standard when a group of players and manager have won the PL over the last decade. Mancini's City, Mourinho's Chelsea v2, Conte's Chelsea, Pelligrini's City.

Friendlies are utterly meaningless - referring to a friendly result in support of anything it a bit of a joke.

They are finding it hard to beat teams that they were beating with complete ease, such as Arsenal.

They are away from home GW2 to a Chelsea squad who now has a far better squad on paper. They play Arsenal GW3 and have lost the last 2 meetings vs them (1 on penalties). GW4 an easy fixture v Aston Villa but GW5 away to Ancellotti's Everton with a new elite midfield.

I don't think loading up on Liverpool is the right call in the first 5 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭Coybig_

Not sure how you think the fixtures are bad in the first 3 games.

They play Leeds (h) followed by Arsenal and Chelsea. While Leeds may not prove difficult, but are an unknown entity managed by a World Class manager - Chelsea and Arsenal are undoubtedly difficult fixtures. Of course they have bad fixtures.

SlickRic wrote: »

What form?

After the restart liverpool were very sluggish and going through the motions. The 7-2 win was a half reserve side against a third tier side. Where regular Salah did noting before a subbing at 60 and Mane and Firmino got one goal each.

Not as convincing as the scorline suggests Blackpool were 2-1 up at one stage.

https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/sport/football/blackpool-fc/dominating-premier-league-champions-capitulating-heavy-defeat-matt-scraftons-verdict-blackpools-friendly-against-jurgen-klopps-liverpool-2962757

https://ie.soccerway.com/matches/2020/09/05/world/club-friendlies/liverpool-fc/blackpool-fc/3360416/

Three of the goals came from subs 69 min 85 min and 88 when the game had subs all over the place on both sides.

• Advertisement

Most serious players own TAA, so his scores aren't going to gain you too much in the top million. So having a second Liverpool defender is the only way to make gains from Liverpool clean sheets and Robbo's attacking points.

I know we have this argument every year, but Robbo is 7m, 2.5m more than a passable defender. Robbo got 181 last year, almost 100 points more than 4.5m defenders.

If you count a passable midfielder as 5.5 (Henderson, Moutinho) they get you 118 points. Another 2.5m in midfield gets you to a 8m midfielder (Willian), who got 168 last year (50 points more). Forwards is similar (6m v 8.5m)

So investing your 2.5m in Defence gets you 100 points.
    Investing 2.5m in Midfield gets you 50 points.

Advertisement