Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rate my Team 20/21

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,427 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Just noticed Pepe is priced at 8m, he could come into my team ahead of Zichek

• Registered Users Posts: 18,883 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

CSF wrote: »
    I just feel like you’re missing out on the fact that there are high scoring defensive players who will do almost as well as the best attacking players

TAA has outscored Son in both the last 2 seasons by a combined amount of 63. Why would Son be worth 1.5 million more to your team? And what’s even more crazy is that you could make the same arguments for Robertson and Van Dijk.

Equally, how many points more from Mane do you expect to get than say Bruno Fernandes? Do you think Doherty would have a bigger disparity over one of your 4.5 million defenders? I think so, even with a regression back on the penalties.

Having both Salah and Mane means a loss of a captain differential also. I think having one is essential most of the time, to have 2 I think they would need to already be in crazy form, meaning they’re both essential even when you can’t captain one of them.

It was not the team I was going to start (was just an alternative)

Was going to do 4-3-3

McCarthy (Steer)
    Vinagre ♦ Saliba ♦ Justin ♦ (Ferguson - Braithwaithe)
    Mane ♦ Aubameyang ♦ Salah ♦ ASM ♦ Maddison
    Adams ♦ Werner ♦ (Mitrovic)

But your comments on Mane and Salah together got me thinking do I expect them to hammer Leeds? Answer = No. I think liverpool could concede as well.
    Granted, I might be coloured a bit by my experience gw1 last season where I went Treble LFC defence including Alisson and capt TAA.
    But I feel there are not many clean sheets for Liverpool in first few fixtures this season.

However in light of your comments on Mane and Salah. I now believe that with a few tweaks the following team is a bit more balanced (looks better after gw2) plus has .5m in the bank.

McCarthy (Steer)
    Vinagre ♦ KWP ♦ Justin ♦ (Ferguson - Braithwaithe)
    Mane ♦ Aubameyang ♦ ASM ♦ Maddison (Gordon)
    Jimenez ♦ Werner ♦ Kane

Alternatives - Jimenez could be Ings - Gordon could be Stephens - Vinagre/Justin/KWP could be Saliba or Manquillo.

Might even chance Taylor (Burnley) if Braithwaithe or another 4.0 defender look like starting. Would really leave me set for after gw1 then.
    Maybe I was thinking a bit short term before.

If Mane gets a hat-trick gw1 I can only laugh!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

I think people should be holding a space for at least 1 United or City attacker.

Granted they have a blank but they will be big differentials going forward & people will be using transfers to get them in. Will nullify jumping on any bandwagons early with taking a hit too.

Think I will be going with KdB from the get go, his form is ridiculous!

Chesty08 wrote: »
    I think people should be holding a space for at least 1 United or City attacker.

Granted they have a blank but they will be big differentials going forward & people will be using transfers to get them in. Will nullify jumping on any bandwagons early with taking a hit too.

That is a lot of cash to have on the bench though. Going that strategy most are going Greenwood 7.5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,508 ✭✭✭✭CSF

It was not the team I was going to start (was just an alternative)

Was going to do 4-3-3

McCarthy (Steer)
    Vinagre ♦ Saliba ♦ Justin ♦ (Ferguson - Braithwaithe)
    Mane ♦ Aubameyang ♦ Salah ♦ ASM ♦ Maddison
    Adams ♦ Werner ♦ (Mitrovic)

But your comments on Mane and Salah together got me thinking do I expect them to hammer Leeds? Answer = No. I think liverpool could concede as well.
    Granted, I might be coloured a bit by my experience gw1 last season where I went Treble LFC defence including Leno and capt TAA.
    But I feel there are not many clean sheets for Liverpool in first few fixtures this season.

However in light of your comments on Mane and Salah. I now believe that with a few tweaks the following team is a bit more balanced (looks better after gw2) plus has .5m in the bank.

McCarthy (Steer)
    Vinagre ♦ KWP ♦ Justin ♦ (Ferguson - Braithwaithe)
    Mane ♦ Aubameyang ♦ ASM ♦ Maddison (Gordon)
    Jimenez ♦ Werner ♦ Kane

Alternatives - Jimenez could be Ings - Gordon could be Stephens - Vinagre/Justin/KWP could be Saliba or Manquillo.

Might even chance Taylor (Burnley) if Braithwaithe or another 4.0 defender look like starting. Would really leave me set for after gw1 then.
    Maybe I was thinking a bit short term before.

If Mane gets a hat-trick gw1 I can only laugh!
    Do you not think TAA is just an absolute must have at his price? 11 points less than Mane last year and 23 less than Salah, at 4.5 million less in price. Do you see a big regression?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭claw

2nd draft after a fair bit of tinkering and reading:

Johnstone Button
    TAA Robertson Vinagre Ferguson Pieters
    Salah Auba Greenwood Soucek Gordon
    Kane Mitrovic Antonio

If Button goes to West Brom I would probably leave the goalies. Not sure how good West Brom are defensively. I could also do Robertson to Van Dijk, Kane and Mitrovic to Ings and Jimenez. Obviously it would depend on Ferguson and Gordon being options also but hoping that a definite 4.0 defender and half decent 4.5 midfielder pop up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,419 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Do you not think TAA is just an absolute must have at his price? 11 points less than Mane last year and 23 less than Salah, at 4.5 million less in price. Do you see a big regression?

Its a bit pointless really isn't it. Everyone is gonna own him, nobody is ever gonna captain him. So really it's a 10 player team this year. Even if he gets another 24 points over Christmas, it won't really move your ranking.

Not for the first few fixtures (I could be way wrong of course)
    Plan to get him in later on when more bargains start appearing elsewhere. Or when I wildcard.

As I said I may have been scarred a bit by last seasons gw1.
    But I honestly don't think there will be bucket loads of points for TAA in the first five. Plus this gw1 I will have Salah so I will hopefully be covered a bit if I do get it wrong.

Not for the first few fixtures (I could be way wrong of course)
    Plan to get him in later on when more bargains start appearing elsewhere. Or when I wildcard.

As I said I may have been scarred a bit by last seasons gw1.
    But I honestly don't think there will be bucket loads of points for TAA in the first five. Plus this gw1 I will have Salah so I will hopefully be covered a bit if I do get it wrong.

Ya I was kinda feeling the same about TAA, he is nearly at 60%, I need to deep dive a bit more on him though.

No doubt he is great value, a poor start from him could see him being a bit cheaper and youd have a jump on most of the game.

But on the other side if he starts hot, your playing catch up for the season and he will take 2 or 3 transfers to get into your team, depending on your pool assests

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Its a bit pointless really isn't it. Everyone is gonna own him, nobody is ever gonna captain him. So really it's a 10 player team this year. Even if he gets another 24 points over Christmas, it won't really move your ranking.

Exactly, plus it gives me a chance to go a little bit different without him. I will not be going as gung ho as last season when I had no Sterling and Salah. (knocked me out of boards gw1 LMS as well!).

But this does not feel as big a diversion when I think about it.

I feel gives options going without TAA for the start that others do not have.
    Most teams seem very similar given no Burnley/Villa/Man U/Man C is even worse than other years. I will have loads of options up front and midfield and this year there is a wide choice of 4.5 ish defenders.

• Advertisement

Ya I was kinda feeling the same about TAA, he is nearly at 60%, I need to deep dive a bit more on him though.

No doubt he is great value, a poor start from him could see him being a bit cheaper and youd have a jump on most of the game.

But on the other side if he starts hot, your playing catch up for the season and he will take 2 or 3 transfers to get into your team, depending on your pool assests

If liverpool had a block of four games that looked like defensive points against weakish teams in attack then I would have him. As it would be clean sheet plus assist plus bonus. But it is an attacking Leeds side followed by Arsenal - Chelsea.

From gw4 on it does look like you have to jump on Liverpool though
    AVL (A), EVE (A), SHU (H), WHU (H)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I have actually been experimenting with 5 at the back this year

I really enjoyed owning Aurier last year, and if he plays expect Spurs to be much more solid

McCarthy (Button)

TAA, Justin, KWP, Robbo, Aurier

Auba, Salah, Soucek, (ASM) (Greenwood)

Wood, Werner (Davies)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,703 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Held out for a few days without looking at FPL but slowly getting sucked back in...

First draft

Johnstone | Button

TAA | Aurier | Egan | KWP | Webster

Salah | Aubameyang | Soucek | Ritchie | Gordon

Werner | Vardy | Antonio

Goalkeepers are set especially if Button to WBA goess ahead.

Defence is fairly standard... hopefully Egan can keep his goalscoring streak going.

Not overly enthusiastic about double West Ham attack or Ritchie so both of those spots possibly subject to change.

Strong-ish forward line assuming Timo hits the ground running

Shedite27 wrote: »

It’s kind of pointless yeah. But you don’t wanna be that one person with an 11 player team starting with a TAA sized handicap against everyone else.

He will be a boring player to own but everyone will have him for a reason. It’s not a bandwagon or groupthink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I personally think you are not starting with Salah / Aubam / TAA you're giving yourself a disadvantage.

Argument to be made for Mane instead of Salah but I think Salah has outscored him the last 2 years and is on Pens? That's my reasoning.

I personally think you are not starting with Salah / Aubam / TAA you're giving yourself a disadvantage.

Argument to be made for Mane instead of Salah but I think Salah has outscored him the last 2 years and is on Pens? That's my reasoning.
    I see myself having all 3 to start with aswell. But TAA is on a whole different level in terms of the value disadvantage. He is putting total scores up that justify 10 million + prices.

I see myself having all 3 to start with aswell. But TAA is on a whole different level in terms of the value disadvantage. He is putting total scores up that justify 10 million + prices.

He is but using a very simple calculation of score/price the top 4 defenders all look great. While he might be performing other players in term of value, he isn't actually that far ahead of the better defenders (and there is no reason to think any of the below will regress)

TAA - 28
    Robbo - 26
    VVD - 27.4 :eek:
    Doc - 27.8

He is but using a very simple calculation of score/price the top 4 defenders all look great. While he might be performing other players in term of value, he isn't actually that far ahead of the better defenders (and there is no reason to think any of the below will regress)

TAA - 28
    Robbo - 26
    VVD - 29.4 :eek:
    Doc - 27.8
    What is the calculation of score/price that you're using? Does it take into account that there are no players at all under 4.0?

What is the calculation of score/price that you're using? Does it take into account that there are no players at all under 4.0?

If Thunbergs is just dividing the score by price then Van Dijk would be 27.4. Lundstram would be 36 if he was still a defender :)

claw wrote: »
    If Thunbergs is just dividing the score by price then Van Dijk would be 27.4. Lundstram would be 36 if he was still a defender :)

Whoops, sorry lads.

Yeah it's that basic. I should probably use it in a 11 post long FPL Twitter thread.

I am a TAA lover but I'm not convinced he is THAT far ahead of Robbo.

To be honest struggling to be enthusiastic about the new FPL year, might go big at the back

• Advertisement

Whoops, sorry lads.

Yeah it's that basic. I should probably use it in a 11 post long FPL Twitter thread.

I am a TAA lover but I'm not convinced he is THAT far ahead of Robbo

TAA and Robertson didn't play all the matches though. Van Dijk did. That is the advantage of having Van Dijk in a team. It's knowing when the other two will be having a rest. I am not ruling out playing Van Dijk instead of Robertson for that reason. I don't want to be messing around with sideways transfers this year.

claw wrote: »
    TAA and Robertson didn't play all the matches though. Van Dijk did. That is the advantage of having Van Dijk in a team. It's knowing when the other two will be having a rest. I am not ruling out playing Van Dijk instead of Robertson for that reason. I don't want to be messing around with sideways transfers this year.

Thats a good point, especially in a year with a crazy amount of games for the top sides

Liverpool are looking at a game every 3 days

My fear with VVD is that he’s more reliant on the Liverpool defence staying strong.

Of course for TAA and Robertson you want that too, but with 29 attacking returns for Trent this season, you’re not reliant on it to avoid disaster, in that same way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

Chesty08 wrote: »

Have a space for KDB but none for Bruno at the moment.Son and the 1.5m extra to get Doherty seems more sensible.

But can you go without Fernandes home to Palace in gameweek 2? He looks the prime captaincy option too so would have serious fear not having him. Very conflicted about him - he is undeniably brilliant but will there be some regression, will Utd get less pens, where are Utd at as a team etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

Have a space for KDB but none for Bruno at the moment.Son and the 1.5m extra to get Doherty seems more sensible.

But can you go without Fernandes home to Palace in gameweek 2? He looks the prime captaincy option too so would have serious fear not having him. Very conflicted about him - he is undeniably brilliant but will there be some regression, will Utd get less pens, where are Utd at as a team etc etc

To be honest I’m not so sure on Wolves, they’ve had a long season just gone & might not hit the ground running. Vinagre covers Doherty for now I think.

That said, could go with Son GW1 but will have to effectively look to sell then for Fernandes. That’s your transfer gone. You’ll be needing hit then if you want to jump on others.

I just think both will start very fast as they know what Liverpool done last season and when you look at it after GW5 your City/United players could easily have outscored others & given you less of a headache with all the chopping & changing

Yeah this is it that Fernandes could do nothing late pen bang 9 points. Part of me is tempted to get Rashford at some stage and I might chance Foden!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Definitely putting a city and Utd player on bench for 1st week, which 2 is the dilemma, narrowed it down KDB or mahrez or greenwood

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Going with this for now until transfers come in and I'll see then.

Ramsdale Nyland
    TAA Vinagre Justin Kwp Ferguson
    Salah Auba Ziyech St max Angiussa
    Kane Ings Vassilev

.5 in the bank

Was torn between son and Kane but son yet me down a few too many times last season so Kane is more solid and I feel they have a good run for him to get goals.

Ziyech might get changed yet will have to see preseason, but I'll punt him for a week and see then.

Early still but I'm actually very happy with this side.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭sheroman01

United’s opening fixtures are really good but I’ll likely only be able bring in one player. Who would be United’s number one asset to start with?

• Advertisement

jamesbere wrote: »
    Going with this for now until transfers come in and I'll see then.

Ramsdale Nyland
    TAA Vinagre Justin Kwp Ferguson
    Salah Auba Ziyech St max Angiussa
    Kane Ings Vassilev

.5 in the bank

Was torn between son and Kane but son yet me down a few too many times last season so Kane is more solid and I feel they have a good run for him to get goals.

Ziyech might get changed yet will have to see preseason, but I'll punt him for a week and see then.

Early still but I'm actually very happy with this side.

I think Henderson was a massive part of the Sheff U appeal and Ramsdale is a poor replacement, I will be avoiding.

Advertisement