Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rate my Team 20/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,828 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

CSF wrote: »
    The good thing with Martinez/Leno, is with media attention, there is a good chance we will know who is in goal for the early game vs Fulham, before even the extended deadline of 90 mins.

I think McCarthy has better fixtures though overall and is assured to start - I'm sticking with him.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Taughts please. Perhaps a bit weak in the midfield

McCarthy (Pope)
    TAA Coady Tierney Egan Dallas
    Mane Son Stephens Lundssturm St Maxiam
    Werner Kane Mitrovic

Dubliner28 wrote: »
    Taughts please. Perhaps a bit weak in the midfield

McCarthy (Pope)
    TAA Coady Tierney Egan Dallas
    Mane Son Stephens Lundssturm St Maxiam
    Werner Kane Mitrovic

A lot spend on keepers but they are two good ones. I saw some consider Martinez and McCarthy bit of a gamble but could save you 1.0m
    Coady could be changed to Vinagre for 4.5 if Wolves do not sign another full back as Jonny is injured.
    Not sure of the value of Lundstram listed as a midfielder this year.
    Would maybe go one of Armstrong/Soucek/Ritchie instead of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

I think McCarthy has better fixtures though overall and is assured to start - I'm sticking with him.

Someone here made the point previously of getting Johnstone, likely to face lots of shots, WBA are a tight enough team and it allows you to get KWP or Lamptey without doubling up on their defence. Made a lot of sense to me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭Dearg81

Southampton are rumoured to be after Butland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,915 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Green&Red wrote: »
    Someone here made the point previously of getting Johnstone, likely to face lots of shots, WBA are a tight enough team and it allows you to get KWP or Lamptey without doubling up on their defence. Made a lot of sense to me

Do people expect Lamptey to be first choice and how will their defence line out in general?

Dearg81 wrote: »

Back to square one if that happens! :eek:

I got the impression that West Brom are a lot different to Pullis era West Brom - people saying they are more attacking. With Perreira etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

Anyone thinking about going without any Man Utd players?

Blank in GW1 and then after excellent GW2 & GW3 (Palace and Brighton) games they have tricky looking fixtures. They aren't in my draft right now with KDB, Salah, Werner and Son taking the premium slots but it is the one thing gnawing away at me, especially as that Palace game in GW2 is there most captainable fixture where they could win by 3/4 goals - is it something anyone else is considering?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

McCarthy Nyland
    TAA Vinagre Dier Justin Mitchell
    Salah Auba Ziyech Soucek Bissouma
    Ings Adams Werner

Ings/Salah to Fernandes/Martial GW2. Don't really want Justin but I need a 4.5 that had good fixtures in 2 and 4 and he fits the bill. Feels a bit templatey, tempted by a punt on Allí instead of Ziyech. Will play Soucek as 4th mid for the first few weeks, fixtures might be be awful but wouldn't be surprised if he banged in a couple of goals.

• Advertisement

McCarthy Nyland
    TAA Vinagre Dier Justin Mitchell
    Salah Auba Ziyech Soucek Bissouma
    Ings Adams Werner

Ings/Salah to Fernandes/Martial GW2. Don't really want Justin but I need a 4.5 that had good fixtures in 2 and 4 and he fits the bill. Feels a bit templatey, tempted by a punt on Allí instead of Ziyech. Will play Soucek as 4th mid for the first few weeks, fixtures might be be awful but wouldn't be surprised if he banged in a couple of goals.

I can understand the desire to captain a ManU play in GW2 but I'm not sure it is worth a -4 to get two of their players. While they can destroy a team like Palace, ManU under Ole blow hot and cold a lot too. Looking beyond that, ManU play Spurs, Chelsea and Arsenal up to GW7, I'd say Liverpool and City both have easier fixtures in that time so I don't see the sense in doubling up on Utd while not having Pool or City players.

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    I can understand the desire to captain a ManU play in GW2 but I'm not sure it is worth a -4 to get two of their players. While they can destroy a team like Palace, ManU under Ole blow hot and cold a lot too. Looking beyond that, ManU play Spurs, Chelsea and Arsenal up to GW7, I'd say Liverpool and City both have easier fixtures in that time so I don't see the sense in doubling up on Utd while not having Pool or City players.

I didn't phrase that very well, would only be doing one of those moves based on how the first gameweek goes. Agree with you on that, Palace could also be stubborn opponents. KDB will be coming in for gameweek 3

I didn't phrase that very well, would only be doing one of those moves based on how the first gameweek goes. Agree with you on that, Palace could also be stubborn opponents. KDB will be coming in for gameweek 3

Oh right, yes bringing one in makes more sense. I would also question doubling up on Chelsea from the start, lot of new faces there so hard to know how they will line up or how they will play. My plan is to wait until GW3 before bringing in Chelsea assets.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭hoopyhoopy

What's the Deal with Willian - Should shine for Arsenal and seems bargain @ 8mil - Not sure though will he start every game, any arsenal fans any insight into this??

Reckon Robertson for Liverpool is a must this season, even in the charity shield he created near all Pools chances in first half! Building my team around him and Aubameyang - Aubameyang should clean up now that he is down as a Midfielder -

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

hoopyhoopy wrote: »
    What's the Deal with Willian - Should shine for Arsenal and seems bargain @ 8mil - Not sure though will he start every game, any arsenal fans any insight into this??

Reckon Robertson for Liverpool is a must this season, even in the charity shield he created near all Pools chances in first half! Building my team around him and Aubameyang - Aubameyang should clean up now that he is down as a Midfielder -

Must disagree on Willian, he was only worth 7m at Chelsea (a better team) due to penalties. With Auba on pens, I dont see the value with him. Would rather Saka and the 2.5m

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭hoopyhoopy

Must disagree on Willian, he was only worth 7m at Chelsea (a better team) due to penalties. With Auba on pens, I dont see the value with him. Would rather Saka and the 2.5m

Cheers for ruining my day and team :pac::D - yea great point re pennos!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Colking

Probably lots of tinkering to go yet but currently on

Johnstone - Button
    Williams (Utd) - TAA - Robbo - Doherty - Palace 4m
    Pepe - Perez - Salah - Ritchie - Gordon
    Kane - Werner - 4.5m

Plan to turn Salah into Bruno in GW2, while I don’t think United will be anywhere close this season they have great fixtures and Ole’s team has shown they can go through patches where they are unstoppable. Probably C Bruno for a lot of the first 6/7 GWs apart from GW4 where Werner will get it.

Pepe could easily become Zichek but if I’m going without Auba he gives some coverage. Either him or Perez will turn into Mahrez.

Salah could also be Auba for the first week, having decided yet. I don’t think two London derbies are as good a fixture as everyone thinks for Arsenal

Interesting choices, good to see someone smashing the template!

I'd probably go back to your earlier pick of Armstrong over Ritchie. Newcastle are trying to use him as a make weight for Callum Wilson. Strangely he seems to be viewed as more of a back up player under the current management. Personally I'm always happy to see him starting as he gives 101% when he pulls on the jersey.

With the Williams pick are you limiting your Man Utd options? I remember after the restart when I had Maguire hanging around my team like a bad smell and it limited me to two attacking Man Utd assests.

Other than that very good.

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Oh right, yes bringing one in makes more sense. I would also question doubling up on Chelsea from the start, lot of new faces there so hard to know how they will line up or how they will play. My plan is to wait until GW3 before bringing in Chelsea assets.

I'm going to start with Werner anyway, he's over 40% ownership so if he bangs it will be a rank killer straight away. May not go with Ziyech but that 7-8m range isn't too inspiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭joeyboy11

I'm going to start with Werner anyway, he's over 40% ownership so if he bangs it will be a rank killer straight away. May not go with Ziyech but that 7-8m range isn't too inspiring.

I feel Werner will start well. Has been around the club and training with the team at the end of last season. Are you not confident in greenwood at the 7-8m price range or you want different Utd players?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Dearg81 wrote: »

So strange that. He's been awful for Stoke in the last 2 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭sheroman01

CSF wrote: »
    The good thing with Martinez/Leno, is with media attention, there is a good chance we will know who is in goal for the early game vs Fulham, before even the extended deadline of 90 mins.

Exactly - I do think Martinez will be number 1 but McCarthy has better fixtures. Obviously wait for Butland news though.

Listening to a podcast series this week (FPL planet) where they have a correspondent from each club.
    The Fulham correspondent pointed out Rodak as a good shot stopper making at least 3 saves a game and Fulham are much improved defensively. But their defensive success may depend if they sign Harrison Reed from Southampton who was on loan with them last year as a defensive mid.
    I'll probably stick with McCarthy but may go down this road if I get in KWP as I don't want to double up on Southampton defense.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

joeyboy11 wrote: »
    Listening to a podcast series this week (FPL planet) where they have a correspondent from each club.
    The Fulham correspondent pointed out Rodak as a good shot stopper making at least 3 saves a game and Fulham are much improved defensively. But their defensive success may depend if they sign Harrison Reed from Southampton who was on loan with them last year as a defensive mid.
    I'll probably stick with McCarthy but may go down this road if I get in KWP as I don't want to double up on Southampton defense.

I think they signed him yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭macraignil

I feel Werner will start well. Has been around the club and training with the team at the end of last season.

You got me thinking about trying to rejig the team to fit in Werner with that comment. Saw somewhere else that his ownership is high and just checked the site now and he is in 42.5% of teams which makes him the second most popular player choice. Any criticism of the latest draft appreciated:

McCarthy,

Robertson, Alexander-Arnold, Vinagre, Walker-Pieters
    Salah, Aubameyang, Saint-Maximin
    Werner, Ings, Mitrovic

Ryan, Soucek, Berge, Mitchell

I feel Werner will start well. Has been around the club and training with the team at the end of last season. Are you not confident in greenwood at the 7-8m price range or you want different Utd players?

Yeah Greenwood is one I'm considering but want to wait and see if United make any signings that might impact his gametime. Bruno and Martial are safer bets.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

That was myself! I’m sticking with Johnstone as their are good options for cheap defenders without doubling up.

I noticed a comment on WBA not being a Pulis of old team. Agree they are not but Bilic has PL experience , he knows how important defence is & how a balance is needed. Look at how Sheff U adapted to coming up. We’ll see similar I think.

The key thing is though, Johnstone is a very good shot stopper and will hopefully rack up a lot of saves / bps.

Tbh i don’t see it as a massive punt & will definitely have more reward then going with McCarthy/Ryan etc... who we know what to expect!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

hoopyhoopy wrote: »

Only because TAA wasn't ready. I wouldn't think it'll be so one sided once Trent returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭The real mccoy 91

Only getting round to a rough first draft now had thought about having 1 city and 1 united otb for gw1 but gone against that now landed on

Johnstone button

James taa kwp bavies Johnson

Auba salah saka ziyech Pereira

Vardy mitrovic brewster

1.5 ITB johnson and brewster fodder

I'm happy to punt on mitro and Pereira going off last seasons form any goals in either team go through both of them majority of the time. Vardy starts with a nice run and can easily become kane/werner/martial depending on how teams look. Will he getting pulisic but in his absence ziyech seems like a fair alternative.

macraignil wrote: »
    You got me thinking about trying to rejig the team to fit in Werner with that comment. Saw somewhere else that his ownership is high and just checked the site now and he is in 42.5% of teams which makes him the second most popular player choice. Any criticism of the latest draft appreciated:

McCarthy,

Robertson, Alexander-Arnold, Vinagre, Walker-Pieters
    Salah, Aubameyang, Saint-Maximin
    Werner, Ings, Mitrovic

Ryan, Soucek, Berge, Mitchell

Also he played # 9 and scored in a one all preseason friendly on the weekend.

Team looks good to me. The only thing I would be wary of is a Southampton double up in defence and 3 of their players over all. Maybe a different 4.5 keeper in Ryan (Brighton), Johnstone (WBA) or Rodak (Fulham). Tripling up from the start might be an issue if one of their players like Adams or Armstrong starts the season on fire and you can’t get them in without a hit.

• Advertisement

Yeah Greenwood is one I'm considering but want to wait and see if United make any signings that might impact his gametime. Bruno and Martial are safer bets.

True that is the optimum combination. I just really like Greenwood’s price for such a good finisher in a top 4 team but I will whip him out if a major signing comes in.

Advertisement