Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Practice during a two day compition

Options
  • 16-08-2020 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭

When a medal strokes competition is over 2 or 3 days (Fri-Sun), can a player booked in for Sunday go out and play a practice round on Friday or Saturday evening ?

Given that the pin positions will not be changed, I think it is seen as practicing on the course and not allowed... am I right ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Dtoffee wrote: »
    When a medal strokes competition is over 2 or 3 days (Fri-Sun), can a player booked in for Sunday go out and play a practice round on Friday or Saturday evening ?

Given that the pin positions will not be changed, I think it is seen as practicing on the course and not allowed... am I right ?

Would you be playing off the same tee?
    You can get allowance from comp committee of it was for s match our something, but not just practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Dtoffee

I don't know what tee's were used .... it was just pointed out to me that several players had played practice rounds ahead of their game on the Sunday.

No matches that weekend, so that is ruled out.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭Ronney

Recall this issue rising a few years ago when our club brought in a Few Friday evening supplemental slots to the weekends comp.

I'm pretty sure the outcome was that a local rule had to be in place to allow practice on the Friday for those playing on the Saturday.

I think a similar rule is in place for any comps that run over two weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭CSWS101

Yeah but unless there is no local rule then pretty sure it is DQ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭paulos53

It is the other way around. You need a local rule or something written in the Terms of Competition to prevent practice rounds

From the Rules of Golf interpretations
    5.2b/3 Practising May Be Allowed on Course Before a Round in a Competition that Covers Consecutive Days

When a competition is scheduled on a course over consecutive days and the Committee schedules some players to play on the first day and others to play on a later day, a player is allowed to practise on the course on any day that he or she is not scheduled to play his or her round.

For example, if a competition is scheduled for Saturday and Sunday and a player is only scheduled to play on Sunday, that player is allowed to practise on the course on Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

paulos53 wrote: »
    It is the other way around. You need a local rule or something written in the Terms of Competition to prevent practice rounds

What about when there is no schedule, so play as you please? I presume you can still practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭KevH1984

paulos53 wrote: »

Our competitions always run from Friday to Sunday and we are allowed to practice on our course any day not playing in the competition with the exception of the President's Prize and Captain's Prize.

Advertisement