Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PTSB reducing mortgage interest rates

• 16-08-2020 2:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭

This ad popped up when I was online yesterday saying PTSB are reducing their mortgage interest rates for both new and existing mortgages. The fixed part of my mortgage is currently 3.2%, going by this it's decreasing to 3%.
    Anyone else heard anything about this?
    https://www.permanenttsb.ie/mortgages/mortgage-interest-rates/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Sarn

You wont be able to switch to the new rate until your fixed rate ends. You might be able to end the term early (with or without a fee).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

Sarn wrote: »
    You wont be able to switch to the new rate until your fixed rate ends. You might be able to end the term early (with or without a fee).

For flip sake.
    4 years left on ours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Q&A

For flip sake.
    4 years left on ours.

Contact them and see how much it will cost you to break your current fixed rate. Might be with it

Q&A wrote: »
    Contact them and see how much it will cost you to break your current fixed rate. Might be with it

I emailed the in house mortgage advisor we dealt with last year. Will see what she comes back with. The fixed part of our mortgage is not huge and the bulk of it is tracker.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

Sarn wrote: »

Don't think this is correct, they are reducing their rates for all customers. I got letter last week about it telling me my rate is being reduced

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Sarn

zefer wrote: »
    Don't think this is correct, they are reducing their rates for all customers. I got letter last week about it telling me my rate is being reduced

Are you on a variable rate? If so, then you’ll be getting a reduction.

The whole purpose of a fixed rate is that it remains unchanged for the duration of the term, regardless if the rate goes up or down.

What the article on it says is that they used to offer a different rate for existing customers compared to new customers. New customers had more favourable rates. Now both old and new customers will have the same choice of fixed rates when changing rates.

As mentioned above, you can ask them to see what the break fee is to get out of the remaining term. It can vary from nothing to several thousand euro to get out of it.

KBC better. Avant card will soften up the market more. Dont fix until they enter the market.

For those interested, this is the reply from my local branch;

The rate won’t automatically be reduced but if you contact the mortgage department they will be able to advise you on how to change the rate. There may be a penalty for you to switch from your current fixed rate to another fixed rate but they’ll be able to advise you over the phone if a penalty will apply & how much that could be

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Decka

Just over 3 years left on my fixed rate of 3.2% and I was told break out fee would be €900. The rate reduction I was offered was fix again for 2 years at 3.1% fix again for 3 years at 2.95% or fix again for 5 years at 3%. It hardly seems worth it for the fee they are asking!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭StefanFal

For those interested, this is the reply from my local branch;

The rate won’t automatically be reduced but if you contact the mortgage department they will be able to advise you on how to change the rate. There may be a penalty for you to switch from your current fixed rate to another fixed rate but they’ll be able to advise you over the phone if a penalty will apply & how much that could be

Does this apply to variable too? You have to contact them to avail of a reduction?

• Advertisement

Decka wrote: »
    Just over 3 years left on my fixed rate of 3.2% and I was told break out fee would be €900. The rate reduction I was offered was fix again for 2 years at 3.1% fix again for 3 years at 2.95% or fix again for 5 years at 3%. It hardly seems worth it for the fee they are asking!

I rang PTSB mortgages today and they gave me the same rates. Said they'll send me out all of the information by post in the next few days. She couldn't advise me of the break fee but said it would be detailed in the letter they'll send. If it's 900 quid it's definitely not worth it for me either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BigAl81

I rang PTSB mortgages today and they gave me the same rates. Said they'll send me out all of the information by post in the next few days. She couldn't advise me of the break fee but said it would be detailed in the letter they'll send. If it's 900 quid it's definitely not worth it for me either.

I did the same last year and when the letter arrived the break fee was zero!! Happy switching!

BigAl81 wrote: »
    I did the same last year and when the letter arrived the break fee was zero!! Happy switching!

Good to know. I hope my letter says the same :)

I'm about a month away from drawdown and got a letter today saying the 3 year fixed rate has increased from 2.9 to 2.95 as of January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Good to know. I hope my letter says the same :)

Unlikely. There's a specific formula they use that involve a "Cost of funds rate" That was quite stable for a couple of years meaning that to break out of fixed rate was mostly zero or very little.

Cost of funds rate has dropped a fair bit over the past few months - its one of the reasons rates have fallen.

As the cost of funds at the time you fixed was probably about 0.3%-0.4% higher than they are now, it will cost you this difference and I would suspect the €900 is right. That would equate to about €100,000 - €120,000 of a fixed rate amount over 3 years

3.2% is not a bad rate. The difference per €100,000 based on about 17 years left (guessing this - but if you have a part tracker, it is probably from 2007 ish) is €10 a month. Not worth getting concerned about

silver2020 wrote:
    Unlikely. There's a specific formula they use that involve a "Cost of funds rate"

Cost of funds is negative, the letter from PTSB will say zero, I have one ;)

I'll report back once received.

The fixed portion of my mortgage is fairly small and granted the difference between 3.2 - 3% might be small but if I can get it for "free" without a break fee then happy days

Or break and switch away completely and get free cash back with the next bank ;)

Or break and switch away completely and get free cash back with the next bank ;)

and lose his tracker on the larger part of his mortgage?

Cost of funds is negative, the letter from PTSB will say zero, I have one ;)

yep, and when they fixed the op's rate the cost of funds was probably 0.4%, so the difference is what they work on and that leads to a fee

• Advertisement

silver2020 wrote:
    and lose his tracker on the larger part of his mortgage?

Ops, missed that part, hang on to that obviously!!

They are considered 2 separate mortgages. Can I move the fixed part to another bank? The fixed part is small, I don't know if another bank would be bothered taking it on.

They are considered 2 separate mortgages. Can I move the fixed part to another bank? The fixed part is small, I don't know if another bank would be bothered taking it on.

No, no bank will take a "share" in an asset. Imagine is you stopped paying one and they went for repossession - what would the other bank do?

Its such a negligible saving that the time cost of the effort is simply not worth it.

silver2020 wrote: »
    No, no bank will take a "share" in an asset. Imagine is you stopped paying one and they went for repossession - what would the other bank do?

Its such a negligible saving that the time cost of the effort is simply not worth it.

That makes sense.
    I make overpayments on it, but it sits on the account as credit, and when the fixed term is up I can then use the credit to make a payment off the principle, but that'll take time.
    I make overpayments on the tracker too but that's a much easier process, because I can use the credit off the principle anytime I want.

Just reporting back as I got the letter from PTSB. No break fee!
    We can also choose how long we want to fix it for, and the 3 year option is 2.95%. Trying to decide between this and the 5 yr at 3%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭jayjay2010

Just reporting back as I got the letter from PTSB. No break fee!
    We can also choose how long we want to fix it for, and the 3 year option is 2.95%. Trying to decide between this and the 5 yr at 3%.

Hey Sunrise Sunset, just curious if you made a decision yet? My renewal is due in Oct, I can't decide wether to go with 3Y or 5Y or wait for Avant to enter the market with potential lower rates. Decisions, decisions!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

jayjay2010 wrote: »
    Hey Sunrise Sunset, just curious if you made a decision yet? My renewal is due in Oct, I can't decide wether to go with 3Y or 5Y or wait for Avant to enter the market with potential lower rates. Decisions, decisions!

I'd be very suprised if Advent are competitive against main stream lenders in the mortgage market, to date their credit card business is for customers other banks don't target.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

About Avant, read this:

https://www.askaboutmoney.com/threads/avantcard-to-target-high-earners-only.219519/#post-1679829

I'd be very suprised if Advent are competitive against main stream lenders in the mortgage market, to date their credit card business is for customers other banks don't target.
    Bankinter bought them about 18 months ago, so you'll see changes as they ramp up their offerings
    Geuze wrote: »
    That's the initial steps. I would suspect it will be next year before they target a wider market. But I can see them only offering max 80% which is more the norm in Europe.

Interesting to see if they have 10-15 year fix options

• Advertisement

We went with 5yr fixed at 3%. Returned the form today.

We don't have the option of changing to another mortgage provider as we'd lose the tracker rate on the larger portion of our mortgage.

Advertisement