Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor camera for parents

Options
  • 16-08-2020 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭

My parents have had issues with antisocial behaviour in their area and would like to get a camera to keep an eye on what's going on in their front garden (small 3 bed terrace). It would need to be good at night and have some sort of DVR setup. I see there is the likes of the nest doorbells etc but I'd prefer get something that doesn't require a monthly sub to view recordings etc.

What would people's recommendations be?

Comments

Grab an Annke set off Amazon. Fairly easy to set up (I did it, and I'm not exactly Mr. Technology).

I definitely wouldn't consider a subscription based service. There seems to be lots of hassle involved in that. With the Annke set up you just do it all yourself (probably off-putting to some people, but it's worth it).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Grab an Annke set off Amazon. Fairly easy to set up (I did it, and I'm not exactly Mr. Technology).

I definitely wouldn't consider a subscription based service. There seems to be lots of hassle involved in that. With the Annke set up you just do it all yourself (probably off-putting to some people, but it's worth it).
    Thanks, yes that looks like great value, would there be any wireless options worth looking at at all even if they were a little bit more expensive?

Personally, I've never used wireless, so I can't really say. Hopefully someone else will be able to comment on that.

I could be wrong, but I think this is the set I purchased:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ANNKE-Security-All-weather-Adaptation-Recording/dp/B00MGJ4YW8/ref=sr_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=annke+dome&qid=1597600366&sr=8-9

It has a 1tb HDD, so with the 4 cameras all recording at once, I get to keep the footage for about 20 days before it gets overwritten (so it's handy if you wander off for a 2 week holiday or such). I used to have it on my phone aswell (access tot eh cameras) but I eventually deleted it, as I kept looking at them all the time, and it was starting to drive me mad. I never used the motion detection stuff either, so can't comment on that (I'm fairly basic in my ways haha).

Quality has been decent, but you won't be picking up reg plates on cars at night time or such, so you have to be realistic. If someone wanders into your garden though you'll get a good look at them.

Thanks KKV, I think the single or double cam version would even be enough for this house. If I don't find something wireless then this definitely looks to be what i'll go for. Very good value for less than €100. I may even get this for my own house!

If anyone has a wireless setup I would be very interested to get your feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

You can boost the night time quality of the picture by fitting a IR light

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement

DopeTech wrote: »
    Thanks, yes that looks like great value, would there be any wireless options worth looking at at all even if they were a little bit more expensive?

I would avoid wireless cameras. You might get away with 1 but overall my experience is they are more trouble than worth considering to still need to feed them a power line anyway.

Too be honest and only based on personal experience, the systems on the various Chinese sites are fine for sub 150 euro now once you can live with bad English manuals but they yes to not include hard drives. Don't buy in a shop here, overpriced. For 200 you will get a good system with good night vision cameras but you need to be realistic with them. Might be better just having a light that comes on instead of ir

I have installed 5 now and on 2 we tried wireless and gave up and just went with a wired option

Thanks, yes I agree wired would be best but they are not keen on having a cable going down the outside as it could be snipped and don't want one on the interior wall either. I'll go through their options with them. Thanks

DopeTech wrote: »
    Thanks, yes I agree wired would be best but they are not keen on having a cable going down the outside as it could be snipped and don't want one on the interior wall either. I'll go through their options with them. Thanks

Power cables can be snipped as well so thats irelevent. Your cameras should either be covering each other or not accessible from behind or if thats not possible, high up but avoid too high, cameras useless if its just looking at the top of heads from the roof

Use trunking for the cables, its not ideal I know but you can paint it the same colour as the house and it blends in

• Registered Users Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

You can boost the night time quality of the picture by fitting a IR light

And lose all definition. IR has had its day. Newer darkfighter and colorvu cameras are capable of staying in colour and providing far superior night time quality than those relying on grayscale IR.

Advertisement