Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Locks Changed - Squatters ???

Options
  • 16-08-2020 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi looking for advice, have had let a house sit idle for period and haven't been able to go there with lockdown & work & housemates cocooning etc. So came "home" to find both my front and back door locks changed, no real sign of anyone living in house (water and electric not connected) small damage interior damage that didn't make any logical sense and some random furniture added to my house - ie not a bed or table - again which didn't make any sense... no sign that anyone sleeping there etc.
    Obviously locksmiths booked, guards called but just wondering has anyone come across anything similar ???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

yeah. Ive seen it before where a house was owned by an elderly person who had since gone into care, family on the other side of the country, squatters drilled the original locks and got in, neighbours noticed and chased them out and had the locks changed again.

its very possible somebody was looking out for you / a neighbour didn't want the horror issues that come with squatters.

if its supposed to be vacant and theres no services connected id go right on in. Maybe board the windows and have the back door bolted shut ?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 locksdown

In this case I think it maybe neighbours looking to stake a claim very brazen in any case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I think boarding the windows is just going to attract the wrong attention.

Without power you don't have the option of lights, timers, alarm, camera etc. But I'd consider reconnecting the power to add some active security. Add some deadlocks to the doors etc.

Consider finding a local who can check it regularly for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Get someone in that house asap.

Bin the furniture, change the locks.

Sounds like someone's trying to make an adverse possession claim on your property. They may already have proof of address from getting a utility bill delivered there. Possibly a jsa claim using your address. Next stop, threshold with a story about paying rent to a non existent landlord. Rent €50 a week. In a RPZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

antix80 wrote: »
    Get someone in that house asap.

Bin the furniture, change the locks.

Sounds like someone's trying to make an adverse possession claim on your property. They may already have proof of address from getting a utility bill delivered there. Possibly a jsa claim using your address. Next stop, threshold with a story about paying rent to a non existent landlord. Rent €50 a week. In a RPZ.

Unless the op has been away for 12 years, not much chance of staking a claim for adverse possession and even threshold would not entertain a story that involved them breaking and entering a property.

I do agree with your first two sentences though, change locks and toss everything that isn’t yours op.

Just as a matter of interest, were their any clothes or personal belongings hat would suggest someone continues to use the property?

• Advertisement

Yes the plan is to reconnect electrics and get the alarms sorted, get done what's needed to be done to have it ready for rental and get someone in there asap... I agree on avoiding boarding windows... I genuinely feel its a neighbour, had issues with small things before which are too specific to go into.
    My plan tomorrow is to get on to local postman and social welfare office to see is any other post (not mine ) going there...
    Possibly contact solicitor also for legal advice on what I need to prevent false claims etc.
    Loads of new stuff boxed very saleable still in house (electrics, bathroom ware, power tools -of mine ) which wasn't touched at all which makes me think squatters or someone looking to assert claim...

no clothes or food packages etc there... no sign of anyone sleeping there at all

• Registered Users Posts: 13,704 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Postman and DSP won't be able to tell you anything due to GDPR.

Highly unlikely to be a neighbour chancing their arm; as has been pointed out, adverse possession claims need 12 years of uninterrupted use behind them.

Someone has been opportunistically using the place as a place to hang out, imo. Exactly how long has it been vacant?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

maybe someone was using it for delivery of illegal substances off the dark web?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Have you family? Could any of them be doing this....

Very strange to be honest.

I'd sort locks straight away but I would move your tools out for the moment if valuable.

Anyone around that seen anything such as neighbour?

Quite likely using for online purchases and then move on, what sort of damage is there....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

You think the neighbours have a claim to the house?

I've no family locally or no malicious family either. Social welfare will be able to check if the address has been used - they just wont give me a name & same with post office.

Ill check with local couriers also... no neighbours close to house, house out on its own in the country.

neighbours have no claim to house but as i said some wouldn't be the most straightforward of neighbours...

I'd say someone was using for scams such as car sales, renting property or as I mentioned online scams where purchase goods and get delivered using fake or dodgy cards....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

locksdown wrote: »
    neighbours have no claim to house but as i said some wouldn't be the most straightforward of neighbours...

It is important to ensure your claim or ownership is 100% before you rechange any locks I would say (if you have any concern which you may not have)

JJJackal wrote: »
    It is important to ensure your claim or ownership is 100% before you rechange any locks I would say (if you have any concern which you may not have)

Wtf?

It's their house....

I've gone through all the correct channels, first point of contact was guards before I did anything else at all.
    I'm the fool paying the mortgage so I'd like to hope it will be mine at some point like... :)

I've gone through all the correct channels, first point of contact was guards before I did anything else at all.
    I'm the fool paying the mortgage so I'd like to hope it will be mine at some point like... :)

Have you entered yet?

How long is the power out?

yes and six months

yes and six months

Is there damage such as holes and could they have been using as a grow house?
    Generator used maybe

• Advertisement

none that ive seen, didn't go into attic etc as was on my own when I was out there

none that ive seen, didn't go into attic etc as was on my own when I was out there

Are you sure you have the right keys? Seems strange they would go to the trouble to change front and back, then leave, leaving no evidence of having stayed there. Do squatters usually tidy up before they leave?

Dav010 wrote: »
    Are you sure you have the right keys? Seems strange they would go to the trouble to change front and back, then leave, leaving no evidence of having stayed there.

But there is stuff left that the op didnt...

But there is stuff left that the op didnt...

No clothes, personal effects, food/rubbish, etc? If Carlsberg did squatters.

there is stuff there, but nothing that anyone would be crying over.
    my gut would be that locks were only recently done, defo right keys. even tried my emergency spare from glove box

pretty much... it was like boarding the marie celeste, but no rubbish etc

• Registered Users Posts: 82,563 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

For electricity reconnection after 6 month's disconnected you need to get it recertified, more than 2 years gets more expensive...

https://www.esbnetworks.ie/existing-connection/reconnecting-supply

Maybe they're all in the attic!!

What the cops say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Dav010 wrote: »
    Are you sure you have the right keys? Seems strange they would go to the trouble to change front and back, then leave, leaving no evidence of having stayed there. Do squatters usually tidy up before they leave?

Making. Stuff. Up

Why

Where does this nonsense come from?

Advertisement